Comcast Cable Card Follies: New 4-digit channels not showing up - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-30-2012, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 17
This is a weird one. Last week Comcast in my area opened up some new 4 digit HD channels (1003,4, up to the 1600's). My TV with the SA STB pulls them all in, resetting my other TV with cable card got them as well, but my PC with Ceton Infinitv4 shows nothing over 600, even after resetting the cable card, rebooting the PC etc. I called Comcast and got a pleasant man named Patrick who, with a couple of adjustments, got me a bunch of channels above 999. Had to go through the Windows Media signal set up again to get them into the guide, but there they were.....but alas not all of them. Got, for example, 1004 (NBC), but missing 1003, 1006, 1007, 1009, 1024 etc. which means all the networks! 9 of 10 channels missing in the 1003-1024 range. Hence I called Comcast again yesterday. Well that 'chat" with Comcast ("Michael") did not go so well. He never heard of Windows Media Center, a cable card tuner, InfiniTV4, or a PC as a device for TV management!!! A bell only went off when I told him it acted like a DVR. He then told me to turn it off and he would try some things. I could "rescan my channels" and he could call back. I rebooted the PC, reset the signal, reset the guide, removed and reinserted the cc and wound up getting no change. When I told him, he said all is good at his end, must be my stuff and it sounded like I would need a service call and there could be a charge since it is not their equipment. At least Patrick accomplished something, but this one just wasted time, mine and his. Just when I thought Comcast was improving, I get this..... Thoughts, anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 03:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Since everything else works well, you may get better assistance in the HTPC forum:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...aysprune=&f=26
Old 04-30-2012, 11:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My experience with a CC JVC HDTV and a SA STB with Cox is you get what you get with the CC and NO ONE at the cable company has a clue of what to do after they send a reset which I can request without a tech being on the line. The percentage of CC's is too low for anyone to care!

If it isn't 720p or 1080i/p it isn't HD. If it is 720p or 1080i/p it may not be HD content.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Someone suggested that this could be a head end mapping issue. For that to be true, there would have to be separate mapping for my single stream cable card (all channels coming in loud and clear) and my dual stream card with these missing channels. Anyone know if that is true?
Old 05-01-2012, 09:27 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I believe there is a seperate mapping for every CableCard you have, single stream or multi-stream notwithstanding.

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
Old 05-01-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Pairing yes, mapping no. Mapping is done at the headend, and by that I mean the mapping of the channel number to the QAM freq and PIDs. Cards are individually paired by Host ID/Card ID and, for Moto cards, Data ID but everyone on a headend gets the same channel maps.

OPs prob sure sounds like a mapping issue to me.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Pairing yes, mapping no. Mapping is done at the headend, and by that I mean the mapping of the channel number to the QAM freq and PIDs. Cards are individually paired by Host ID/Card ID and, for Moto cards, Data ID but everyone on a headend gets the same channel maps.

OPs prob sure sounds like a mapping issue to me.

That sounds sensible since pairing was supposedly checked and rechecked and I am pulling in everything else from ch 2 through 600, then above 1000 to 1600 but with the 9 holes I pointed out. Question is how do I get the attention of the head end? The Comcast call center guy told me they are all over the place, some in MA, NH, CT in my area.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Are they just not listed in WMC or or is it really the cable card not getting the map... You should be able to try and tune the channel (from your devices diagnostics and/or web page) using the missing channel number and if it tunes, the problem is more than likely media center not getting the guide data in.

Here in phoenix, when they moved the hd channels from 700 to 1000, there were 2 weeks (even with forced updates) that media center didn't list the 1000 channels. There was also a week when the guide displayed both the 700s and 1000s for me. During this week, I seemed to be better off telling a recording to record off of the local ota channel number (i.e. 5.1 instead of 705 or 1005 which all should have tuned 73.2)
Old 05-01-2012, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Channels cannot be tuned manually. I tried that. I may be better off waiting, but it is curious that 1004 is there, a bunch of 1100's and up, but not the other 1000's. It kind of does sound like mapping, not the guide that is goofed up.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Please keep thread titles specific. See my edit.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Most likely ComCast is using switched digital video technology in your area. Switched digital frees up bandwidth for faster HSD and more video content. To accomplish this all of the channel map isn't broadcast to the node 100% of the time since the majority of the time only a small portion of available channels are being watched at a given time. In doing this the channels aren't always in the same place the tuner needs to know which QAM to tune to at that particular time Cable Cards in a device other than a set top converter box have no way of doing this without a tuning adapter. I've never seen a TV that would accept a tuning adapter connection. TiVo and media center pc are mainly the only places cable cards are used anymore.
Dave ,
Old 05-04-2012, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 270
No, they are not - Comcast does not use SDV.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

No, they are not - Comcast does not use SDV.

Correct.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'