recording froma cable box using Component outputs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-08-2012, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am searching for some way to save a little cash from comcast since my OTA idea crashed.

I would live to ditch my Comcast DVR and record from a HD comcast cable box with a HDPVR.

I did find this link on yourtube about macs and this same setup but using a mac and mac designed eyeTV HD. This is what I had in mind for Window 7 WMC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtygQ...otation_457905

maybe getting a mac mini for this and adding a extrenal HD for recordings but in research mode right now.

what is my options for windows 7?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-10-2012, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
The HDPVR is pretty much the only HD component recording solution for Windows right now.

The problem is, that really isnt meant to be a DVR replacement. You will have to manually set your cable box to whatever channel you want to record, and while that's recording, you won't be able to watch anything else.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-12-2012, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks

Seems windows is behind Mac devices the legato eyetv hd is the best thing I have ever seen for recording cable TV through a Mac. I am looking for a Mac mini duo core 2.66 or above. This will be not time soon though unless I find one at a good price.

Dave
post #4 of 4 Old 05-13-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitlet View Post

The HDPVR is pretty much the only HD component recording solution for Windows right now.

The problem is, that really isnt meant to be a DVR replacement. You will have to manually set your cable box to whatever channel you want to record, and while that's recording, you won't be able to watch anything else.

I have the HDPVR-1212 and am using it with a CATV set top box as a "supplemental DVR" in our house. It comes with an IR flasher which will power up and change channels on the STB in order to make recordings. It is not perfect; very occasionally it will miss the first digit after waking up the STB (TWC here uses 4 digit channel alias, but fortunately for most of the channels the SD version is the same number without the first digit, so when that happens you get an SD recording instead of HD).

I also have once or twice had the PC not wake up from sleep during overnight periods in order to record the 1212 output. But otherwise the 1212 setup is doing most of what I want-giving me excellent quality HD files I can keep, copy to disc, move to the WHS server, without the space limitations of the TWC-provided STB.

Mike

PS: To clarify, the PVR1212 is connected to a SA4250 STB near the PC. The main viewing position has a regular TWC DVR, so we can record up to three shows simultaneously, and still watch a 4th "live" if needed.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page