Delayed image and pixelation on screen with receiver handling HDMI switching - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-21-2012, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Everyone,

New to the forum, and first post. I tried searching, but I don't know if I am being too specific, regardless, I couldn't find an answer. Please go easy if this is a beaten to death topic

Samsung LN-T5265F (HDMI In, Powers on Second)
Yamaha RX-A2000 (HDMI and Component In, HDMI Out. Powers on First)
PC (HDMI out, Always on)
DirecTV DVR (HDMI Out, Always On)
Wii (Component Out, As needed)
X-Box 360 (HDMI Out, As Needed)
Harmony 1
All components feed into the Yamaha, with a single HDMI cable going to the TV. I have tried swapping the cables.

When I power on the system, the average wait time for picture to appear is 30-45 seconds, regardless of the activity selected. Sound is present after 5 seconds. 2 out of 3 times, the image is covered in red and white pixels. Powering off the TV, and back on resolves the pixelation.

Is this a common problem with a common solution, or am I stuck living with the inconvenience?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-21-2012, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 368
I've never heard of those specific problems before, but they're similar to some others. Many HDMI problems are difficult to resolve because all of the HDMI devices interact with one another.

Personally, I suspect a defect in the TV, but there are some things you can try before replacing it.

First, try changing your power-on sequence: power the TV on first, and then the AVR.

If you have several HDMI ports available on the TV, you might try connecting some of the devices, especially the DirectTV DVR, directly to the TV (for video). Cable and satellite boxes tend to have the most problematic HDMI interfaces and often don't like going through AVRs. The satellite DVR most likely has a digital optical audio output that you could connect to the AVR.

Selden
post #3 of 9 Old 05-21-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Are all of your HDMI sources outputting at (1080i or 1080p)the native resolution of the TV so that no scaling has to be done by either the receiver or by the TV.
post #4 of 9 Old 05-22-2012, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

I will try swapping the order of operations to see if that helps. All devices are outputting at 1080p except the Wii. It is the component cable, but I don't think Wii can go that high.

Would I lose anything if I ran the devices to the TV, and a single HDMI from the TV back to the receiver?
post #5 of 9 Old 05-22-2012, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmagee View Post

Would I lose anything if I ran the devices to the TV, and a single HDMI from the TV back to the receiver?

Audio over HDMI from the TV to the receiver will only work if both the TV and the AVR support "Audio Return Channel". You'll have to verify that ARC is available in both.

There's also the potential problem that most TVs provide multichannel audio only for their internal channel tuner and forward only two-channel audio from attached HDMI devices to the receiver. That was why I mentioned connecting a digital audio cable from the satellite box to the receiver.

Selden
post #6 of 9 Old 05-22-2012, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Have you tried taking the PC out of the mix. I would try that.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-23-2012, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

Both the TV and Receiver support ARC, so covered there. I can't take the PC out as it is an HTPC, so if I move it out, I lose all movies, music, etc. I think I will just run HDMI to the TV from each component, and Digital Audio to the receiver. I was just hoping to keep everything simple from a cabling perspective. Thanks for all the responses guys. Been reading around, and this is a really nice forum
post #8 of 9 Old 05-23-2012, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I think he was more likely suggesting that you take the HTPC out of the mix temporarily as a troubleshooting effort to see if it is what is causing the issue.

I second the above post that recommends trying to turn on your TV first though. Have you done that yet?
post #9 of 9 Old 05-23-2012, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

I did change the order of power up, but have not had tome to play with it to see if that resolved the issue. Plan on doing that when I get home. One power up after the change did not display the issue, but it is not a consistent issue. I will cycle the power several times later to see what I get.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page