HBOToGo quality on Xbox? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 05-27-2012, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Would like to get HBOtoGO in my home theater. I have Uverse and a PS3 in there now. No computer anywhere.

Thinking about getting a Xbox 360 just for HBOtoGO. How's the AV quality SI HBOtoGO through an xbox360? Is it HD? Is it 5.1?

Or...somebody tell me there're gonna put this on a PS3 soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 05-28-2012, 03:59 AM

Liked: 19
I watch HBOGO on our XBOX 360 and the PQ seems HD to me. Not sure about the 5.1 thing. I'm not an audiophile. Why not just get a Roku? It would be cheaper and you wouldn't have to pay the $60 a year fee for Xbox Live Gold which is required to use HBOGO.
post #3 of 20 Old 05-29-2012, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Think I might get Apple TV. I already have an iPad. Wonder if the HBOtoGO video through iPad/AppleTV/HDTV is any good.
post #4 of 20 Old 05-31-2012, 07:10 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanec View Post

Think I might get Apple TV. I already have an iPad. Wonder if the HBOtoGO video through iPad/AppleTV/HDTV is any good.

I've got the iPad3 (a.k.a. the new iPad) and there are a lot of YouTube videos that look far better than HBOtoGo. The quality could definitely be improved.
post #5 of 20 Old 06-03-2012, 09:21 PM

Alot of content on Xbox 360 is sent in the highest video quality possible based on your internet connection, definitely worth the $60 a year in my opinion plus you can always get prepaid cards to lower the price.
post #6 of 20 Old 06-04-2012, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post

Alot of content on Xbox 360 is sent in the highest video quality possible based on your internet connection, definitely worth the $60 a year in my opinion plus you can always get prepaid cards to lower the price.

Not worth $60 when he can get the same results for FREE using a Roku.
post #7 of 20 Old 06-04-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

Not worth $60 when he can get the same results for FREE using a Roku.

But the experience on Xbox integrates with windows based computers,phones and tablets. Something that CANNOT be done with a roku.
post #8 of 20 Old 06-04-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post

But the experience on Xbox integrates with windows based computers,phones and tablets. Something that CANNOT be done with a roku.

Do you work for them or something? He just wants something that he can use HBOGo on. The highest priced Roku is $100 and no annual fees VS at least $200 for a XBOX 360 and a $60 yearly fee. Sorry but you're the same one that says Vizio TVs are "hi-end" and can't figure out how to get your antenna to work for 18 months.
post #9 of 20 Old 06-04-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

Do you work for them or something? He just wants something that he can use HBOGo on. The highest priced Roku is $100 and no annual fees VS at least $200 for a XBOX 360 and a $60 yearly fee. Sorry but you're the same one that says Vizio TVs are "hi-end" and can't figure out how to get your antenna to work for 18 months.

The $60 fee is tons cheaper than eating out a few times each month and like I said before there are ways to get it cheaper. It hasn't been anywhere near 18 months the worst of that issue has only been going on for 2-3 months.
post #10 of 20 Old 06-06-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post

The $60 fee is tons cheaper than eating out a few times each month and like I said before there are ways to get it cheaper. It hasn't been anywhere near 18 months the worst of that issue has only been going on for 2-3 months.

Why should he spend $200 minimum on a XBOX 360 then $60 per year for XBOX Live just to use HBOGo for when for less than $100 he can get HBOGo on a Roku? You're one to talk about how something "only" cost so much when you refuse to get even basic cable to get these channels you seem to have problems with getting in via antenna.
post #11 of 20 Old 06-06-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

Why should he spend $200 minimum on a XBOX 360 then $60 per year for XBOX Live just to use HBOGo for when for less than $100 he can get HBOGo on a Roku? You're one to talk about how something "only" cost so much when you refuse to get even basic cable to get these channels you seem to have problems with getting in via antenna.

The Roku is a good budget option, but using an Xbox 360 is a far more superior solution. I didn't refuse to pay for basic cable, they refused me and if you read my thread you would know that. There's also a difference between a monthly fee and an annual fee.
post #12 of 20 Old 06-06-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:

The Roku is a good budget option, but using an Xbox 360 is a far more superior solution. I didn't refuse to pay for basic cable, they refused me and if you read my thread you would know that. There's also a difference between a monthly fee and an annual fee.

Seriously you take the cake. All the dude wants is to watch HBOGO. Not play games online. So instead of paying $50-$100 on a Roku which will serve his purpose just fine you suggest he pay $200 for a XBOX 360 then another $60 for XBOX Live and that's for one year. He'll continue to have to pay that over and over. So after 5 years he will have paid $500 instead of $100. Roku is considered one of the best streaming devices and you call it "budget". Of course you call Vizio TVs "hi-end". You have no proof to say the XBOX 360 does HBOGo better than a Roku. Seriously just stop already.
post #13 of 20 Old 06-06-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:

Seriously you take the cake. All the dude wants is to watch HBOGO. Not play games online. So instead of paying $50-$100 on a Roku which will serve his purpose just fine you suggest he pay $200 for a XBOX 360 then another $60 for XBOX Live and that's for one year. He'll continue to have to pay that over and over. So after 5 years he will have paid $500 instead of $100. Roku is considered one of the best streaming devices and you call it "budget". Of course you call Vizio TVs "hi-end". You have no proof to say the XBOX 360 does HBOGo better than a Roku. Seriously just stop already.

Xbox 360 has more streaming services than roku and will also have a world class web browser. that alone plus the integration with other windows devices is worth the investment.
post #14 of 20 Old 06-07-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:

Xbox 360 has more streaming services than roku and will also have a world class web browser. that alone plus the integration with other windows devices is worth the investment.

A) No the XBOX 360 does NOT have more streaming services than Roku and things like MLB.TV and Amazon which the XBOX 360 just now got Roku has had them for a LONG time now.

B) You know nothing about the browser until it's actually released. You saw a 2 minute demo on a E3 stream. The fact that it's IE kind of takes away the "world class" description. And I say that as an IE user. Also many peole don't give 2 turds about a browser.

C) Windows integration? Once again who cares. Most people either have IPhones or Android. Windows phones are an afterthought. Windows tablet? Ok first there are none. Secondly even when they come out people already have Ipads or other tablets.

Seriously dude you're sounding like a MS shill. Enough with pushing the XBOX as a streaming device. The guy already owns a PS3 he doesn't need another gaming machine.
post #15 of 20 Old 06-07-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:

A) No the XBOX 360 does NOT have more streaming services than Roku and things like MLB.TV and Amazon which the XBOX 360 just now got Roku has had them for a LONG time now.
B) You know nothing about the browser until it's actually released. You saw a 2 minute demo on a E3 stream. The fact that it's IE kind of takes away the "world class" description. And I say that as an IE user. Also many peole don't give 2 turds about a browser.
C) Windows integration? Once again who cares. Most people either have IPhones or Android. Windows phones are an afterthought. Windows tablet? Ok first there are none. Secondly even when they come out people already have Ipads or other tablets.
Seriously dude you're sounding like a MS shill. Enough with pushing the XBOX as a streaming device. The guy already owns a PS3 he doesn't need another gaming machine.

A) more are being added everyday

B) it scores 100/100 on acid and renders most sites better than other browsers as well as protect from malware. How can it not be world class? I know it will be better than the crap PS3 and Wii browsers.

C)You claim I saw E3 yet you come wih a ridiculous assumption like that. Microsoft had the best presentations at E3 many people there care. There are also windows 7 tablets out now but they aren't very touch friendly, throw a windows 8 preview on them and they will kick the iFad's Áss. Windows phone was also predicted to overtake the iPhone within 3 years and has already done so in china and Russia
post #16 of 20 Old 06-09-2012, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Apple's WWDC is coming soon, and rumors are flying around about Apple opening up support for third party AppleTV software.

Considering HBO's love for Apple (see: product placement, existing iOS and OS X optimization), I wouldn't be surprised if HBOGO gets added fairly soon. If you can hold out, just get an AppleTV once they add it.
post #17 of 20 Old 06-09-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigionlsd View Post

Apple's WWDC is coming soon, and rumors are flying around about Apple opening up support for third party AppleTV software.
Considering HBO's love for Apple (see: product placement, existing iOS and OS X optimization), I wouldn't be surprised if HBOGO gets added fairly soon. If you can hold out, just get an AppleTV once they add it.

Why would he get an apple TV when using an Xbox 360 is much better? Especially with the upcoming smart glass.
post #18 of 20 Old 06-09-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:

Why would he get an apple TV when using an Xbox 360 is much better? Especially with the upcoming smart glass.

Why would he get either when he can get a Roku which is cheaper and better than both? Seriously Eric I am very close to putting your on ignore. Which is sad because in 6 weeks I will be I your area and at one time I would have been more than willing to help you figure out your reception issues but lately you are being a "donkey" with your posts so forget it.
post #19 of 20 Old 06-10-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:

A) more are being added everyday

Let us know when you can get private channels on the Xbox 360. rolleyes.gif
Quote:
B) it scores 100/100 on acid and renders most sites better than other browsers as well as protect from malware. How can it not be world class? I know it will be better than the crap PS3 and Wii browsers.
Only six years too late. Next year by this time the Xbox 360 replacement will be announced. Who will care about a browser on the Xbox 360 then?
Quote:
C)You claim I saw E3 yet you come wih a ridiculous assumption like that. Microsoft had the best presentations at E3 many people there care. There are also windows 7 tablets out now but they aren't very touch friendly, throw a windows 8 preview on them and they will kick the iFad's Áss. Windows phone was also predicted to overtake the iPhone within 3 years and has already done so in china and Russia
Hey, I don't like Apple either. But MS has had terrible results in the past with portable devices that challenge Apples. Why do you think that it will different anytime soon?
post #20 of 20 Old 06-10-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:

Why would he get either when he can get a Roku which is cheaper and better than both? Seriously Eric I am very close to putting your on ignore. Which is sad because in 6 weeks I will be I your area and at one time I would have been more than willing to help you figure out your reception issues but lately you are being a "donkey" with your posts so forget it.
I knew you would be here that's why I haven't been tough on you. I practically agree with you on the roku box thing and I'd much rather him have that than an Apple TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhufnagel View Post

Let us know when you can get private channels on the Xbox 360. rolleyes.gif
Only six years too late. Next year by this time the Xbox 360 replacement will be announced. Who will care about a browser on the Xbox 360 then?
Hey, I don't like Apple either. But MS has had terrible results in the past with portable devices that challenge Apples. Why do you think that it will different anytime soon?

I think there won't be a replacement for at least another 2 or 3 years, video gaming innovations and advancements seem to be at a plateau right now, the graphics are as good as they're going to get before actually looking like reality, I read something about that last year. Also if you've tried Windows Phone 7 you would know that the iPhone and Android have absolutely nothing on it. The iPhone is nothing but a grid of icons where nothing goes on till you get into an app while Android is nothing but a Hodge podge of stolen code from iPhone and WM.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page