HDTV Audio Requiremens - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-28-2012, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a hearing problem and must use headphones for my HDTV. My wife does not have a hearing problem and wants to hear the TV sound system. When I plug my headphones into the TV, it kills the TV speakers. Does anyone have a solution to this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-28-2012, 06:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsrbw View Post

I have a hearing problem and must use headphones for my HDTV. My wife does not have a hearing problem and wants to hear the TV sound system. When I plug my headphones into the TV, it kills the TV speakers. Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

You could get a small AV receiver with a headphone jack.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #3 of 11 Old 05-29-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
What is the make and model of TV that you have? You may be able to hook up the headphones to the audio output jack using RCA cables instead of the dedicated headphone jack. Then you should be able to have the speakers active along with the headphones. You may need a different set of headphones that control the volume on their own though.

It's really hard to give you much more without knowing what TV you have.
post #4 of 11 Old 05-30-2012, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

TV is a Sony KDF-55WF655. I am using Sennheiser RS 120 headphones.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-31-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

TV is a Sony KDF-55WF655. I am using Sennheiser RS 120 headphones.

I looked at the operating instructions, and could not find any reference to a headphone jack.

In any event, the set appears to provide analog audio output from a pair of RCA jacks on the back panel. You must go into the menu and turn the internal speakers off for the analog audio output to be on. As I suggested before, you might be able to use an audio video receiver and a pair of speakers to provide audio for your wife and continue to use the headphones as you are now. This is all subject to testing.

What are your sources and how are they connected to the TV? Where are the headphones connected on the TV?

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #6 of 11 Old 05-31-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Yep, looks like this Sony is one of the TVs that only allow the analog audio outputs to work when the internal speakers are off. Since that is the case I don't think there is any way to do what he wants without buying some kind of additional hardware.

Either an AV receiver like you have suggested, or he may also want to consider picking up a different set of wireless headphones that can use the optical audio output on the TV. That should still be active while the TV's speakers are on.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-01-2012, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you to both of you for your input. I am trying a Sony AV receiver, STR-DH500..Audio Out from TV (RCA plugs) to a Audio In on AV then Audio Out on AV to headphones which works...speakers from AV...on first blush the AV should have handled the HDMI from an ASUS HDP-R1 media player feeding external HD, and an ACER computer HDMI out...but the AV will not pass through audio via HDMI...so I have had to use a HDMI switch for the video into the TV...and audio feed to AV then out to TV.

Sony says they are sorry they do not know why on the AV.

Perhaps you two could suggest how I could start fresh with a system of TV, proper AV, etc knowing the hearing problem.

The neat idea of optical out for a headphone I will check out.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-01-2012, 08:11 AM

Let me tell you how I handled a similar situation. I'm hard of hearing and prefer cans (headphones) for TV and music where I want it kind of loud, concerts, etc, and others are around. My wife's hearing is perfect, and she doesn't find the 5.1 (with just 3.1 hooked up) any advantage.

Sony TV
Sony BD
Onkyo HTIB, 6+ years old
Charter HD box

TV optical to Onkyo
BD copper to Onkyo
Cans, when used, to Onkyo
"better" speakers to Onkyo

Regular TV, I wear my aids, we're both comfortable

With both listening to a HD movie on TV or BD, good sound, she sets TV speakers to suit her, I use the cans and suit me ... no aids

Just me, TV sound to 0 (not muted, MUTED shows on screen), cans unplugged, 95dB from the speakers.

Rarely she wants the room-filling sound but not loudly enough for me ... I have a 100 ohm dual pot to speakers B on the Onkyo and a headphone jack on its output.

This has worked quite well. She needn't understand my schemes to listen to CDs, watch DVDs, or watch TV, with sound through the TV. If she/we want the better speakers used, I have to do it and "clean up" afterwards.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-03-2012, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Very helpful, thank you!

If you have the time to help an elder geek, is it possible for you to provide model numbers for the TV and the other devices that you list?
post #10 of 11 Old 06-04-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:

Very helpful, thank you!

If you have the time to help an elder geek, is it possible for you to provide model numbers for the TV and the other devices that you list?

Sure, but it really won't help much. Let's address by what's there which is more important.

TV with SPDIF optical out and HDMI in ... most all do ... mine is a RP Sony 46E2000
DVD or BD with BOTH HDMI and wire SPDIF, HDMI to TV; Sony S360
HT Receiver with optical and copper SPDIF ... Onkyo HTIB receiver is an R430. I don't remember the HTIB system identification.

The HT receiver and speakers are NOT even mid-grade ... think I paid 300 new ... but are good enough for my need.

You should have no trouble duplicating functionality with various systems from Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony and others with systems in the $300-500 range. The CHEAP ones available from below $100 to $200, which would meet my audio needs, don't seem to have SPDIF of either type.

This old guy will be glad to help in any way I can.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-07-2012, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you! All of your suggestions/specs are most helpful and I look forward to checking out what will work with the current systems that I have...or, what I may need to upgrade into.

It has become clear that the Sony amp was a bad choice as the audio will not pass through the HDMI for reasons that Sony cannot explain...so it is what it is.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page