Samsung PNC8000 - Film grain texture - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-06-2012, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone. This is such a precise technical question I figured I would ask it over here. The support at Samsung didn't even understand what I was talking about.

I currently own a Samsung PNC8000 on which I exclusively watch DVD/Blu-Ray content. With Blu-Ray disks however, it seems that I do not get enough texture when the original source is shot on 35mm film. When I compare the source image of the Blu-Ray disk on a Lacie 324 screen on my Mac Pro, there's this beautiful, fine, natural grain texture that almost completely disappear once on my Samsung 50" plasma.

I turned off the noise reduction options on the TV set, but it doesn't seem to reproduire this fine grain texture as precisely as it should. I'd love it if I could retain all this original film grain on this great plasma...

Help anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2012, 12:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Blu-Ray movie disks are recorded in 1080p so that is the maximum grain you can output from them to your 1080p Samsung The larger the screen the more likely you are to see a grainy image..
Old 06-07-2012, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah but what's strange is that my Lacie LCD at 23" exhibit alot more finer film grain texture than my 50" Samsung plasma. And it's exactly the same 1080p source on a different size/type 1080p screen.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The size of the pixels does not change much as the screen size gets bigger so the smaller the screen the closer together the pixels are and therfore the same resolution on a larger screen will have more space between them and images will not look as "fine grained" especialy at a short viewing distance. What size SAmsung D8000 do you have and how far are you sitting from it?
Old 06-07-2012, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

It's a 50 inch screen. Model is a C8000. I'm sitting 6-7 feet from it.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 23
The software on your Mac Pro might be doing some sharpening or other enhancements that are making the grain jump out. Most of the 35mm film produced these days can be nearly as grainless as digital.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Since your 50:TV screen is about 7 times larger then your Mac screen I consider the increase in grainess of the same 1080p pixel patern to be significant on the TV screen since the gap between pixels will be a lot more noticible then on the Mac. In fact you may not even be able to see the space between pixels on the MAC.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

@walford: I don't understand. You're saying that the grain is increasing on the TV screen? It's the opposite: the grain is almost disappearing on the 50" screen plasma.
Or do you mean that the pixels on the plasma are so much wider that the fine grain texture is therefore diminished?
Old 06-10-2012, 01:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If you can see the pixel grain on both screens then your second interpolation is correct since the number of pixels per square inch is higher on the MAC since both displays are displaying 1080p(2.1 megapixels).