LG TV Model 32LV3400 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 06-25-2012, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greetings and felicitations. I have purchased the above captioned T and am in a quandry re: wireless headphones. I find that it is necessary to have "optical digital" whatevers which means nothing to me. I need help. Anything that seems to fit the bill is an indication I will have to sell my first born AND my body to afford them. $600 -- has the world gone brain dead???? I won't bother to ask why in the bloody , well, you know, why there is not a headphone jack that makes sense -- most likely the answer is that electroniocs manufacturers make far money $$$s by making us crazy. Anyway, I have learned that I have lost 50% of my hearing (in both appendages) and my neighbors will definitely do bodily harm if I don't find something. Any assistance would be so very welcome!! Many thanks -- gollywobbers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-25-2012, 11:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 261
http://www.smithgear.com/mdr-ds6500.html
post #3 of 14 Old 06-25-2012, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you for your response; I am an old lady living on social security. Shall I forego my rent to pay this outrageous sum? Adding in taxes and shipping costs and on and on and on. There must be a less expensive way to do this, with a conversion kit or something. If I had $300 to spend on such an item, I wouldn't have posted this message - I assumed my intention to find something affordable was clear. My apologies.
post #4 of 14 Old 06-25-2012, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 29
There are some options.
You could use a digital to analog converter (http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/33-11630) combined with basic wireless headphones (http://www.mcmelectronics.com/browse/Wireless/0000000045) This is probably going to add up to about a $100 This assumes that you have nothing else available to re-purpose and you are using the set with an antenna for local reception only, or on a private, or special, MATV/CATV system.

Once you can convert the digital signal to analog (with something like the above converter), the Left/Right signal can be used by older electronic devices like computer speakers, (http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/83-8816) stereos, boom boxes, cassette decks, to bring speakers closer to you, using cables, where the volume can be left lower

If you are on commercial cable, you have cable box options to convert digital to analog. If you have any sort of converter box, it can feed a signal to something (like an old VCR) to get an analog sound sound source.

Basically, to offer options, we need to know what your signal source is.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #5 of 14 Old 06-25-2012, 02:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollywobbers View Post

Thank you for your response; I am an old lady living on social security. Shall I forego my rent to pay this outrageous sum? Adding in taxes and shipping costs and on and on and on. There must be a less expensive way to do this, with a conversion kit or something. If I had $300 to spend on such an item, I wouldn't have posted this message - I assumed my intention to find something affordable was clear. My apologies.

Good luck on your quest. I tried to offer a solution. But, I am retired, on a fixed income but probably a tad more savvy when it comes to purchasing a TV with a specific requirement/desire.

Take it from another senior citizen.... buy a TV with a headphone output. wink.gif
post #6 of 14 Old 06-25-2012, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by gollywobbers View Post

The suggested item price is shown as including shipping. This product is available from other vendors for under $250 including tax and shipping, and may well be the easiest solution.

Note that the converter suggested by another poster works with PCM digital only, and will not decode any DD signals the optical digital output provides. The Sony wireless headset suggested earlier will.

I agree. Get a TV with a headphone output.
post #7 of 14 Old 06-26-2012, 05:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

This optical to analog converter will work for Dolby Digital:
http://www.amazon.com/Gefen-GTV-DD-2-AA-Digital-Audio-Decoder/dp/B0021QBIBQ/ref=pd_sim_e_5
post #8 of 14 Old 06-26-2012, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

Note that the converter suggested by another poster works with PCM digital only, and will not decode any DD signals the optical digital output provides. The Sony wireless headset suggested earlier will.
One reason I suggested a converter is the tendency for optical outputs to downconvert the output signal anyway. I have also seen cheap ($100) HTIB systems with optical inputs too.

We still need to know what signal source she has.
If she has a cable box, they have L/R audio outputs. If she has a "Tuning Adapter" she may need to upgrade to a regular cable box or run it through an old VCR. If she uses an antenna, she could dig out her old converter box and use it as a tuner. (32" is a little small to worry too much about HD picture quality) If she has a legacy analog cable system (temporary at best), the old VCR would work as a tuner.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #9 of 14 Old 06-26-2012, 07:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

In order to provide appropriate suggestions, the OP needs to provide more info (without all of the "drama") in regard to her existng setup.
Antenna only?
Cable with a cable box?
Cable without cable box?
Do you have headphones already?
post #10 of 14 Old 06-26-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

One reason I suggested a converter is the tendency for optical outputs to downconvert the output signal anyway. I have also seen cheap ($100) HTIB systems with optical inputs too.

"Tendency" ?? I've seen too many sets, including my Sony, that puts out PCM audio on its digital optical for all external signal inputs, and DD5.1 or whatever audio is embedded in the OTA signal. It will NOT "downconvert" the DD5.1 to PCM for the digital optical output on signals tuned by its internal tuner.
Quote:
We still need to know what signal source she has.
If she has a cable box, they have L/R audio outputs. If she has a "Tuning Adapter" she may need to upgrade to a regular cable box or run it through an old VCR. If she uses an antenna, she could dig out her old converter box and use it as a tuner. (32" is a little small to worry too much about HD picture quality) If she has a legacy analog cable system (temporary at best), the old VCR would work as a tuner.

Strongly disagree. SD still bugs me on a 27" LCD. The left and right side black bars alone are enough of a reason to steer clear. No - "stretching" is not an answer, either.
post #11 of 14 Old 06-26-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

With HDTV locals provided via OTA (and clear QAM) there's no argument that using a DTA or VCR to downconvert a video feed for the sake of analog audio is outrageous, no matter the size of the TV. (and... DTA's typically do not have analog audio outputs)

And to reiterate, we all need more info from the OP to provide the proper recommendations/suggestions for a headphone solution. If she is using the TV's internal tuner, she needs a Dolby Digital capable converter. If not, then we can go from there. No need for a sparring match. wink.gif
post #12 of 14 Old 06-27-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Wonder what happened to the OP? Hasn't been back since post #3. Oh well....
post #13 of 14 Old 06-27-2012, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

Wonder what happened to the OP? Hasn't been back since post #3. Oh well....

She hasn't even logged onto AVS since then. Typical. She didn't like the answers she was getting, so she bailed out.

BTW, I'm considering those Sony phones as companions for my Sennheisers.
post #14 of 14 Old 06-28-2012, 05:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, I realize that. Since that time, she'd only read one answer. eek.gif
Reply HDTV Technical

Tags
Lg 32lv3400 32 720p 60hz Led Hdtv , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List