Need to "warm up" TV before I can watch HDTV - AVS Forum
HDTV Technical > Need to "warm up" TV before I can watch HDTV
wavygravy2k's Avatar wavygravy2k 04:48 PM 06-28-2012
I own an old VIERA® panasonic 50" TV. and a pretty old Onkyo 7.1 Home theater system.

Whenever I turn on my TV I can only view standard def channels. I need to wait about 10-15 minutes before I can switch to HD channels. I also have a PS3 that I can't use until my TV is "warmed up". I suspect the cause is Onkyo 7.1 Home theater system but I don't know for sure.

I also have a Comcast DVR.

Anyone heard of this before?

EDIT:
From looking at my previous posts it looks like I have this Onkyo system: HT-S9100THX HTIB

Ratman's Avatar Ratman 05:06 PM 06-28-2012
Redirect all of the video connections of the DVR and PS3 from the Onkyo and connect directly to the TV. If problem persists.... it's not the Onkyo.
wavygravy2k's Avatar wavygravy2k 10:49 AM 06-29-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

Redirect all of the video connections of the DVR and PS3 from the Onkyo and connect directly to the TV. If problem persists.... it's not the Onkyo.

Thanks. Isolating the problem is a good tip but the wires are hard to get to right now. I was hoping if anyone heard of this before and might know a possible resolution.
RCbridge's Avatar RCbridge 12:04 PM 06-29-2012
We need to see a diagram of your connections a simple block will do.
Ratman's Avatar Ratman 12:22 PM 06-29-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavygravy2k View Post

Thanks. Isolating the problem is a good tip but the wires are hard to get to right now. I was hoping if anyone heard of this before and might know a possible resolution.

LOL.... Will the wires be more accessible later? wink.gif After 10 years on this and other forums, I've read about all kinds of crazy problems. IMHO, the best way to diagnose a "problem" is to start by process of elimination or introduction.

Or you could just buy a new TV. If that doesn't work, buy a new AVR. If that doesn't work, get a new PS3 and DVR. biggrin.gif
wavygravy2k's Avatar wavygravy2k 01:04 PM 06-29-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

LOL.... Will the wires be more accessible later? wink.gif After 10 years on this and other forums, I've read about all kinds of crazy problems. IMHO, the best way to diagnose a "problem" is to start by process of elimination or introduction.
Or you could just buy a new TV. If that doesn't work, buy a new AVR. If that doesn't work, get a new PS3 and DVR. biggrin.gif

Again, isolating the problem is without a doubt the best way to go when troubleshooting an issue but before I go that route, I wanted to ask around to see if anyone seen these symptoms before.

Strike that. I have no business arguing with someone who has over 12,000 posts! smile.gif
Ratman's Avatar Ratman 01:52 PM 06-29-2012
No argument at all. Just trying to help.
(and... the number of posts doesn't make me "smarter" than you or anyone else. smile.gif )
Up
Mobile  Desktop