Calibration and xbox 360 question? Please help, can't find any straight answers!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 06-30-2012, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone, I have a Vizio Razor XVT373SV LED LCD and I been really interested in calibration for getting a better pic. Problem is, my knowledge base regarding this subject is insufficient. Trying to avoid an expensive ISF service call I bought "Disney WOW: World of Wonder" bluray disk. I am mainly doing this to get a better gaming experience with my xbox 360. I already know that I'll have my bluray input calibrated for my hdtv but Xbox can't read bluray disks so I can't just repeat for that input.

Inorder to solve this problem, is it possible or even ok to just switch the inputs and put my Xbox on the input that has been calibrated originally for my bluray? I would then just repeat the process over for the new input I would have for my bluray player. If my idea is wrong would I just need to get a standard version of another calibrating disk for the xbox?If I did switch them would I have to switch that specific HDMI cord with it? Also, any suggestions on if I should calibrate on specific tv mode: game, standard, movie? I considered game for xbox and movie for bluray but then again in the advance setting, the most freedom for messing with settings is on just standard mode I thinK?

I've been searching for quite some time for some good answers to this and appreciate all who take the time to help someone like myself, who knows nothing regarding this. Best buy, basically didn't really want to help and pretty much hung up on me before I could ask questions. They gave me somewhat of answer but I didn't have time to clarify or anything.

Thanks again,
Jeremiah,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-02-2012, 02:53 AM

Don't use calibration for one device (the bluray player) for another device.

The cheapest way of doing it, would be to get a movie with THX optimizer on DVD (Think "The Incredibles".)
And use that to calibrate your Xbox.

Short of doing that, you're going to be paying more money than it's worth for that TV.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-02-2012, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

so what about if I bought the non bluray version for my xbox? would that work? I figured since I'd have the calibrated settings it wouldn't change once I switched the inputs.
post #4 of 12 Old 07-02-2012, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 254
The general rule of thumb is that you calibrate the display device, not the source. The Wow disk, among others, (I prefer the AVS HD709 disk) is good for doing an Accurate Picture Adjustment but that is not calibration unless you use meters and specialized software. However, you can get very good pq by adjusting the brightness, contrast, sharpness, aspect, and color using one of the calibration disks. You'd be best to adjust your tv with the BD player and one of the disks (making sure that there is no additional video processing going on with your BD player prior to sending the picture to the tv) and that all enhancements are off on your tv. For your Xbox I'd just make sure that it's setup to send the proper signal to the tv, again with no enhancements or additional video processing going in the Xbox. As far as which of the preset modes to calibrate on that's a tough one for your Vizio. I don't know how extensive your settings options are (if you can do 2-pt or 10-pt gray scale, CMS, etc) so that will limit you somewhat. I would think for movies you may want to adjust the Movie preset and then for games, adjust the Game preset, etc. Keep in mind that games don't always follow the rec.709 standards like movies do so that may take further tweaking. Write down your settings first if you like them just in case you mess things up. That way you can always go back to what was ok to begin with (unless the Vizio allows to save multiple adjustments for various inputs).
post #5 of 12 Old 07-02-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jroark101 View Post

so what about if I bought the non bluray version for my xbox? would that work? I figured since I'd have the calibrated settings it wouldn't change once I switched the inputs.

Here's what I'm saying:

I have to configure all my inputs for the device that is using them. For example, in my living room, my display is calibrated on HDMI1 for my Satellite, on HDMI2 for my HTPC, on HDMI3 for my Xbox and HDMI4 for PS3.

If I were to switch the Xbox to the PS3 input, the picture is WAY too dark, and there are similar problems switching any hardware to another input. If all your hardware is hooked up to a receiver with a single HDMI to your TV, then that adds as well as removes a set of problems, but for what you said in your first post, I'd get a calibration disc of some sort, and tune your display per input.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-02-2012, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Ok thanks very much! Also just to clarify, before I start my calibration I have to turn off all extra features: smooth motion effect, real cinema mode, noise reduction, color enhancement, adaptive luma, film mode, smart dimming, ambient light sensor. Now that I've listed these settings what do you guys recommend for which tv mode?

Thanks,
post #7 of 12 Old 07-03-2012, 03:32 AM

That's more of a personal preference, but for me, out of those, I would only use: "smooth motion effect", "real cinema mode", and "film mode".
post #8 of 12 Old 07-03-2012, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Like nicklemarr said, that's a personal preference, but I'd turn off all artificial enhancements prior to calibration or Accurate Picture Adjustment, including the device you are using to calibrate with, i.e. the BD/DVD player. Real Cinema, at least for LG sets, is for BD movies and is used to preserve the cadence of 24p, so it should have no effect on picture adjustments. Smooth Motion (TruMotion on the LG sets) interpolates the frame (adds a frame) to "smooth" out the frame rate which results in the Soap Opera Effect (SOE). Again, a personal preference but should be turned off during the calibration/adjustment process so that no extra processing is going on. For me, I always leave Smooth Motion (TruMotion) off when watching BD movies and keep Real Cinema on (24p). Real Cinema should have no effect on television or non-BD movies.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-03-2012, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks soooo much! I turn everything off then copy the advanced setting for game mode and apply them to the new calibrated settings. I've noticed that smooth motion effect, real cinema mode make a good difference to how smooth the games run. Really noticable on the Assassins Creed's.I'm torn on if I should turn adaptive luma off because it brightens up the dark areas but maybe I wont have to after calibration. I wish tvs and next gen consoles are much better at making these these kinda things easier for people like miyself. If you need your life saved I can help (nursing school) but if your tv does? Well...hehe not so much.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-03-2012, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Just remember that games don't always follow rec.709 video standards so game pq may vary from game to game and it's not your tv or game console.
post #11 of 12 Old 07-04-2012, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

You wouldn't happen to know which is the best hdmi color space and reference levels would you for the xbox?
post #12 of 12 Old 07-05-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Not off the top of my head, no. I don't have an XBox. I'd say use the rec.709 standards cause that's what video is supposed to be. I guess you could calibrate your tv for just Xbox use but again, the color space of games may vary from game to game so what looks fantastic for one game, may only look so so for another. Xbox/PS3 users seem to have this issue a lot. You may want to check one of the other forums that is more specific for gaming. Someone may have an idea there.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page