Samsung HL-S5687W DLP, Problems after Power Outage - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-02-2012, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Samsung HL-S5687W (56 inch DLP) that I bought back in the summer of 2006. Back in March of 2011 I replaced out the lamp that came with the TV, because the picture had dimmed. That bulb had 14,000 hours on it, and I replaced it out with the following bulb....

My TV
amazon.com/Samsung-HL-S5687W-56-Inch-1080p-HDTV/dp/B000F2P2XI

The lamp
amazon.com/Electrified-E-Series-Housing-Replaces-BP96-01472A/dp/B003QBN9CQ

Now the TV did start shutting off shortly after replacing that lamp, but I taped down the switch on the back of the door and that seemed to fix the issue. Anyways, everything was pretty much good with the TV until the other day when that bad storm hit the east coast. I was able to power off my $2000 HTPC, but before I could turn the TV off, the power went off and came right back on, then off again. Now I have my TV hooked up to one of the following, and no power outages have ever presented a problem.

Surge Strip
amazon.com/Monster-MKIII-8-Outlet-Power-Center/dp/B000PCVF3E/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1341250777&sr=8-8&keywords=monster+surge+protector

So after 31 hours without power, my electricity came back on. I went to turn on my TV, and it makes a weird screeching noise, and seems to power cycle itself over and over. So I removed the back cover and took out the bulb, and I see that there are tiny black things inside of the lamp. I have ordered another lamp, and it should be here by Tuesday. But there should not be anything inside of the bulb....right?

Read more: Samsung HL-S5687W DLP, Problems after Power Outage - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com