Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-04-2012, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm a noob. I have questions. I live in Taylors, SC 29687. My TV Fool info is
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d134981343d449b

I'm looking for suggestions for a good antenna setup. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I'd like to mount the mast off the side of my chimney. The chimney's height is reflected in the TVFool info. 35' was a guestimate of what the antenna might sit at once up on the mast.

Any critical information needed was left out due to ignorance.

Thanks ahead of time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-04-2012, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 89
The Antennacraft HBU22 from Radioshack should get all your local Asheville-Greenville-Spartanburg channels, as it is optimized for HiVHF and UHF which serve this market. But I would probably step up to a HBU33 or Winegard 7696 to get a stonger signal from RF13 in Asheville, which can be problematic. And that would give you a decent chance at Charlotte channels WBTV-3, WJZY-46, WCNC-36, and WMYT-55, if you are interested in more neighboring market channels. And a low gain preamp such as Winegard 269 should help with the distant channels while not overloading from the locals. And a rotor may be necessary unless you can find a sweet spot. But one of the best antennas for distant UHF signals is the 91XG from Antennas Direct, but if all you really want is the immediate locals, then the HBU22 should work fine.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-05-2012, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Considering the narrow beam of the 91XG, I think a rotor may be necessary. Also, If I used the 91xg or something similar, would I benefit from adding a dedicated VHF antenna?
post #4 of 6 Old 07-05-2012, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsc View Post

Considering the narrow beam of the 91XG, I think a rotor may be necessary. Also, If I used the 91xg or something similar, would I benefit from adding a dedicated VHF antenna?
If using the 91XG UHF antenna, I would add a dedicated HiVHF antenna to insure signal stability for RF7, RF9(29), and especially RF13. Check Antennacraft 7-13 antenna from Radioshack, or Winegard version. And you will need the UHF/VHF diplexer from Radioshack to join the antennas together. And a Winegard 269 preamp. But amplify the UHF, probably not the VHF, and a rotor.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-07-2012, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you tylersc. I think I'm going to get a 91xg, a YA 1713, a rotor and a winegard 269. Should I get a uvsj or a different signal combiner? Are there any other parts I should consider?

Thanks for the input.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-07-2012, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

If you are going with these 2 separate UHF/VHF antennas, it may be simpler to use a dual input preamp to combine them. Since Channel Master no longer makes the dual input 7778 version, I would go with the Winegard 2870 or the Antennacraft 10G221. These are medium gain combined inputs. The Winegard version, along with the 91XG and 1713 antennas, are all available from Solid Signal, a reliable online retailer with good prices. You can probably aim the 1713 VHF antenna towards Asheville, and use the rotor only for the 91XG UHF antenna if needed. You can aim the UHF antenna towards Charlotte, and it still may pick up 4, 21, and 62 from the back and side without the need for a rotor, but you will have the rotor just in case. Solid Signal also sells rotors, as does Radioshack and possibly Lowes. This will be a very good set up for receiving local and distant channels, but if all you want is the AVL/GSP locals, then the HBU22 and WG 269 preamp will be just fine, but on a smaller scale. I would go with the larger set up because I like CLT channels as well. And don't forget you will need a good mast pole and mounting brackets to attach the antenna to the side of the house or chimney. And a grounding block to protect from lightning surges. And only use RG6 quad shield cable. Good luck there.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page