Affordable Battery Backup for my 60" Samsung? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-06-2012, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

I have a 60" Samsung LCD LED. I would like an affordable battery backup for the unit, because of the numerous brown outs we have on a daily basis. I can't afford the Panamax $649 unit, and the only other brands I am seeing in my price range are from APC and Cyberpower. I had an APC 1500 unit hooked up to the TV once before, but when the power went out I heard a buzzing coming from the TV, which was because the APC unit did not have "pure sign wave" technology. Apparently, the Cyberpower units have the pure sign wave technology and are "AVR" which is also good.

What are everyone's thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-06-2012, 03:20 PM

Liked: 19
"Pure sign wave technology" is just a gimmick. APC products are the best available. I think the issue is that your TV needs more juice than the UPS' inverter can handle. Since you have brownouts and not blackouts, you'd be better served by a power conditioner like this one: http://www.amazon.com/APC-H10BLK-1kVA-Power-Conditioner/dp/B000FBLOAY/ref=dp_return_2?ie=UTF8&n=172282&s=electronics

Max Vrany
All opinions are my own unless otherwise specified.
I make no guarantees as to the accuracy of any information given.
GO Pack GO! On Wisconsin! Go Brewers!
post #3 of 8 Old 07-06-2012, 04:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditrasetman View Post

Hey guys,
I have a 60" Samsung LCD LED. I would like an affordable battery backup for the unit, because of the numerous brown outs we have on a daily basis. I can't afford the Panamax $649 unit, and the only other brands I am seeing in my price range are from APC and Cyberpower. I had an APC 1500 unit hooked up to the TV once before, but when the power went out I heard a buzzing coming from the TV, which was because the APC unit did not have "pure sign wave" technology. Apparently, the Cyberpower units have the pure sign wave technology and are "AVR" which is also good.
What are everyone's thoughts?

I've been using APC units since the mid 90's. I currently have over a dozen of the 1500 units. Ten with the extended run time batteries attached. Out of the eight HD sets I've owned, I've only had one, an HP HDTV, have a buzzing sound from the power supply when on the battery backup. I can watch TV for several hours during a power outage with out any issues and without any buzzing from all my current HDTVs.

I think that was the only electronic device out of at least a couple hundred over the years, that I've used with my APC backups that had any issue when running on the backup power during a power outage.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #4 of 8 Old 07-07-2012, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

But, I keep reading that the "stepped up approximation sign waves" of APC units are not desirable for HDTV's, and perhaps a ups with "AVR technology" and/or "pure signwave" technology would be better.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-07-2012, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Some pieces of equipment don't like modified sinewave (more properly called modified squarewave) inverters. For example, according to Home Power magazine, battery chargers for drills can be damaged by a modified sinewave inverter.

http://dimensions.sensata.com/Application_Notes/121613.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_inverter

http://www.solarstik.com/stikopedia/stiktm-u/inverter-school

APC makes a sinewave inverter called the Smart-UPS:
http://www.apc.com/products/family/?id=165

I use an Exeltech XP125 sinewave inverter, with a 12 volt auto jumper pack, for my 8-inch Audiovox TV during a power failure. It is more expensive than a small modified sinewave inverter, but I want something more reliable than the power company:
http://www.solar-electric.com/xp-125-12.html
Quote:
All Exeltech products are manufactured in the USA (Texas) - 100% designed and manufactured in their Fort Worth plant - right down to the PC boards, transformers, and enclosures.

We have been selling Exeltech inverters for over 15 years, and we have never had one single report of any failure of any type. In fact, we have never even heard of one going bad that was not grossly abused (like hooking the battery terminals to AC power..).

Exeltech inverters have an MTBF(mean time between failure) in excess of 20 years and offers the most competitively priced ultra-reliable true sine inverters available anywhere. Exeltech provides back up power for the communications room in every U.S. Embassy, worldwide.
http://www.solar-electric.com/exsiwain.html

I did notice that when I connected a CFL to my inverter, it decided to "sing," but it didn't seem to harm the inverter.

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html
post #6 of 8 Old 07-07-2012, 01:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

But, I keep reading that the "stepped up approximation sign waves" of APC units are not desirable for HDTV's, and perhaps a ups with "AVR technology" and/or "pure signwave" technology would be better.

I can only go by my personal experience over the last eleven years with HDTVs connected to the UPSs. Running them on my APC UPSs with stepped sine waves has never caused any issues. Even the HP LCD set that had buzzing from the power supply never had any issues. Although I eventually replaced it and sold it to my GF. It's six years old now and she still uses it daily with no issues. Although she only has it connected to a surge protector.

The APC units I use do have Voltage regulation. The newer ones I have will step the voltage up and and step it down as well without going on battery. But my older ones can only step up the voltage. Either way last Friday when we had the bad storm in the DC area. The voltage went up to 144 volts for several minutes before the power went out. All my units were running on the battery at that point. And even after the power went out I continued to watch TV with my receiver and subwoofer running from UPSs as well. And as usual there were zero issues doing it.

LED DLP

post #7 of 8 Old 07-08-2012, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

What if I bought a Pure Sign Wave/AVR ups, like the Cyberpower 1500 (http://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP1500PFCLCD-Compatible-1500VA-Tower/dp/B00429N19W) and be done with it?
post #8 of 8 Old 07-08-2012, 02:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

What if I bought a Pure Sign Wave/AVR ups, like the Cyberpower 1500 (http://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP1500PFCLCD-Compatible-1500VA-Tower/dp/B00429N19W) and be done with it?

If you are worried about having a pure sine wave then go ahead an get it otherwise just get a stepped sine wave UPS.

For my use I want units that I can connect extended runtime batteries. So I can get many hours of use during a power outage. Plus the APC units with a since wave cost alot more. So I never purchased any of them. Especially since the stepped since wave units have always worked fine with my electronics.

LED DLP

Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page