Need help with my Cable TV situation.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-09-2012, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As we all know times are hard these days. Roughly a year and a half ago I bought a LED 1080P computer monitor from Samsung planning on using solely the two HDMI ports it provided (one for my cable box, and the other for my computer). Long story short.. in a month, due to financial hardship, will need to drop my cable tv package to standard cable, and remove all the digital boxes connected on our line. That being said, this posses an issue as the monitor only has a vga port, and two hdmi ports. My question to the community is, what is the best, cheapest way to turn my monitor/computer into a cable-ready setup? Here are a few idea's I currently brainstormed:

1. Buy a cable-ready VCR (not sure if I'd still get the local channels as they are in HD) and a semi-okay TV input card that accepts composite or s-video in. --Already have the VCR, but would need to buy a decent video input card.

2. Purchase a TV tuner that can decode un-encrypted ClearQAM signals. If I went this route, I would probably go for the Hauppauge HVR-2250 as it is ranked very highly. However, this method would cost me about $110 that I don't have.

3. I have a DTV digital to analog converter box. If memory serves me right, this only converts ASTC channels, so wouldn't help me much.

4. Purchase a series II Tivo box ($69 new) and put my own kernel on it so I didn't need a subscription (not illegal/hacking since this disable's recording) or similar legal box. Only problem with this method is the Tivo series II is so old that the best output on it is s-video and it is considered a "cable box" so might still be charged for a cable box fee from the service provider. I would also still need a composite/s-video card for the tivo, or a similar box with hdmi/vga which would probably cost more than the HVR-2250.

I could name many more ideas, but at the end of the day it is you guys on the forum with the experience. Maybe you could suggest an idea to help me out with this. Here is available hardware to me:

Samsung Syncmaster BX2331 (in specsheet claim to have composite in from vga port)
Matrox Parhelia APVe (claims to have s-video input but requires a WDM driver and software that supports it) -- if I could figure out how to get this input working, I could use my old computer to receive an s-video signal from the VCR and either use a DVI to hdmi cable or DVI to vga cable and run it that way
VisionTek HD5800 main computer graphics card (don't recall this to have any type of input).

Please help me solve this problem for the lowest price but still offer MPEG2 quality as it is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-10-2012, 01:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Go to www.tvfool.com and type in your info to see what channels are in your area over the air. If you there are channels close to your area you can buy a set top box that does High definition for around $100. There is a link to them on this forum.

I pick up 15 channels in my area. I get the major networks in HD and I get MeTV and This TV on subchannels for classic programming with my antenna. I haven't had pay TV in 4 years.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource
post #3 of 7 Old 07-10-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Go to www.tvfool.com and type in your info to see what channels are in your area over the air. If you there are channels close to your area you can buy a set top box that does High definition for around $100. There is a link to them on this forum.

I pick up 15 channels in my area. I get the major networks in HD and I get MeTV and This TV on subchannels for classic programming with my antenna. I haven't had pay TV in 4 years.

I did a search for my area and would get 6 channels with just a basic digital tv antenna, or 19 if I installed a proper antenna on my roof. However this dosen't really help my situation as yes I have the DTV box, but do not have a digital antenna, and the DTV box dosen't have a HDMI output, so I would still need to have some sort of TV input card. Basic cable is $13.99/mo and I receive roughly 54 channels (6 of which are not provided via ClearQAM, so only 48). For an extra $6.99 I can get 40 more channels (9 of which are not provided via ClearQAM). So for $21/mo I can get 79 channels and use it in 4 rooms (4th room is where my issue lays).

So if anyone else has a suggestion, please let me know! Thanks
post #4 of 7 Old 07-10-2012, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Talk to your cable company they may wave the fee for one cable box or sometimes the first box is included.
It never hurts anything but your pride to beg and the worst answer you can get is NO!!!
Good Luck
post #5 of 7 Old 07-10-2012, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 193
look on ebay for an ati tv wonder 650 (pci-e is better). it will be a bit cheaper than the hauppauge- ive seen them on there for under $40. i use the pci version and it works very well.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #6 of 7 Old 07-10-2012, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 53
get a hdhomerun (http://amzn.com/B004HO58SO), hook up your coax to it and connect it to your network. watch tv on your pc and it will become a two tuner DVR and it will free up one of those hdmi inputs.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #7 of 7 Old 07-10-2012, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

I will look into all of your suggestions. In the mean time, dose anyone have anymore suggestions? Thanks!
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page