Video distribution questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 07-15-2012, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have some questions on video distribution. I'm building a house, and will be doing whole house audio/whole house video. Been really looking at matrix switches lately.

I only plan to have 4-5 TVs (master, upstairs living, main living, downstairs rec/bar. Theater will be separate, though might add to matrix. So a 4x4 would be fine I think. Id only have a couple sat receivers and media server. Upstairs will be local blu-ray for boys, and theater local BR aswell.

My main question is, is HDbaseT really worth the cash at this point. Cat 6a is cheap, so I could run 2 for hdmi, 1 Ethernet, a phone line etc. maybe 4-5 cat 6 to each spot. Seems more cost effective to but a 2k unit and pull extra wire, then a 7k unit. Is there another reason to go HDbaseT?

Also what wiring would be required for RF to IR? I'd like to run RF remotes and put IR repeaters in rack, and at TV locations. Or is there a better way to handle this?

Anything else to be considering at this stage? I may not use it all, but wire is cheap so I'd like to prewire heavy.

I'll also have 4 conduits to attic, 2 conduits to garage, 1 conduit from attic to tv above fireplace upstairs, 1 conduit from main tv to basement, with a pull elbow to media rack. And cover it with fake vent, to make it look right. So I'll have options, but better to leave conduits empty.

Thanks guys and gals
Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page