Antennas Direct Preamps - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-20-2012, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 92
The Antennas Direct preamps don't get alot of discussion here, with the focus usually upon Channel Master and Winegard. But since the original CM versions have now been replaced with newer versions, it seems like a good time to look at other models. AD makes the CPA19 and PA18. Anyone have any experience with either of these versions, and how is the performance? Which model has lower noise figure for UHF? The CPA19 states 2.0 noise figure, while the PA18 may be slightly lower at 1.8. And if you have a mix of strong local and weaker distant channels, which version deals better with overload? Perhaps ADTech could offer some insight. Reviews requested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-22-2012, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Perhaps most folks here prefer Channel Master or Winegard for preamps, but these Antennas Direct versions have good noise figures, so I was wondering which model may be the best performer, the CPA19 or PA18.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-23-2012, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The CPA19 seems to get good reviews on Amazon, and the specs claim low noise and resistance to overload. So it appears to be a good choice if a preamp is needed, especially if the new CM7777 is inferior to the original. It is hard to find reviews of the new 7777, as most still focus on the original version.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-25-2012, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I guess Antennas Direct is better known for their antennas than their preamps, judging for the lack of response here. But perhaps the CPA19 has just been overlooked in favor of Channel Master and Winegard versions. But now that the original 7777 has been replaced, I just thought the Antennas Direct model may be worthy of consideration. Especially given the apparent low noise specs and overload resistance. But I've said all I have to say here unless further comments are offered.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-29-2012, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

I guess Antennas Direct is better known for their antennas than their preamps, judging for the lack of response here. But perhaps the CPA19 has just been overlooked in favor of Channel Master and Winegard versions. But now that the original 7777 has been replaced, I just thought the Antennas Direct model may be worthy of consideration. Especially given the apparent low noise specs and overload resistance. But I've said all I have to say here unless further comments are offered.

Has the CPA19 been around for a while? I didn't see any reviews on the Antennas Direct web site. Perhaps Antennas Direct is much better known for their antennas versus preamps as you suggested. I am happy with my Clearstream4 that I purchased from Antennas Direct 1 1/2 years ago. But I wouldn't be so quick to buy a preamp from Antennas Direct without positive feedback from others who have used it. I have a CM7777 that I bought around the same time as the Clearstream4.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-29-2012, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That original CM7777 was one of the better consumer grade preamps available, because of its dual UHF/VHF inputs and low noise factor. But now that it has been replaced by the new owners PCT, I have been looking at other alternatives such as Winegard and Antennacraft. Then I remembered that Antennas Direct also distributes preamps, and the CPA19 sounds promising with low noise specs and resistance to overload. And it gets good reviews on Amazon, but has been somewhat overlooked on this forum in the past in favor of Channel Master and Winegard. But now that CM has changed, it may be time for a closer look.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-07-2012, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Long story short, I have now installed a CPA19 preamp and it is working very well. Strong build, and decent gain at 17db without overpowering. Seems to be very tolerant of overload from strong nearby locals, as well as receiving distant channels. Getting one weak distant channel that my old 7777 struggled with. Low noise figure of 2.0, seems to be a quality product, and was supposedly optimized for digital reception.
Cabal0 likes this.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-12-2012, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

Long story short, I have now installed a CPA19 preamp and it is working very well. Strong build, and decent gain at 17db without overpowering. Seems to be very tolerant of overload from strong nearby locals, as well as receiving distant channels. Getting one weak distant channel that my old 7777 struggled with. Low noise figure of 2.0, seems to be a quality product, and was supposedly optimized for digital reception.

Good to hear it's working well for you. The only thing I worry about with preamps (in the attic) is the extreme temperatures during the summer. And this summer has been nasty. But my CM7777, that was placed in the attic, over a year ago is still working fine.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-15-2012, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Final thoughts: I think the CPA19 has been overlooked for consideration on this forum in favor of the former CM778/7777. But now that those have been replaced, the CPA19 should be considered. It has a low noise figure of 2.0, medium gain, and is designed to be tolerant of overload. And supposedly optimized for digital reception. It is working very well for me, recieving strong locals as well as distant channels. A good product, IMO.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page