Blu Ray audio from PS3 to TV to Receiver is only coming through in stereo - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-21-2012, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My equpment:

Receiver: Yamaha HTR-5740
Blu Ray: Sony PS3
TV: Panasonic VT-50 55"

The PS3 has an HDMI connection to the TV, and the TV has an optical out to the receiver. I've made sure my receiver is set on "straight" input (ie, no special effects). For whatever reason, the audio only comes through in stereo. When I switch the optical cable to go directly from the PS3 to the receiver (bypassing the TV), the DTS signal comes through just fine.

I'd like to be able to use the TV as the only audio source going to the receiver, since the receiver is a bit older and doesn't support HDMI. This allows me to use the TV to switch inputs without having to also switch audio inputs.

Does anyone know of any settings on either the PS3 or VT-50 that might effect this? I'm having trouble finding anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-21-2012, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Are Dolby 5.1 and DTS 5.1 checked in the PS3's output options?

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/audiooutput.html
post #3 of 6 Old 07-21-2012, 09:09 PM

Liked: 32
TV's will only pass through stereo, through a Optical connection to a AVRS, not 5.1 or any other type of surround sound. Your best solution is to hook the PS3 to the AVRS, and from the AVRS to the TV.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-22-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
gregzoll is almost correct. Until this year, there were very few TVs that would pass DD5.1 on the optical output, unless the signal was from an off-air channel being decoded by a digital tuner. My neighbor had a Toshiba that was one of the exceptions. More of the 2012 models have the capability to pass DD5.1, but it is still the exception rather than the rule.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-23-2012, 07:25 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbrit View Post

gregzoll is almost correct. Until this year, there were very few TVs that would pass DD5.1 on the optical output, unless the signal was from an off-air channel being decoded by a digital tuner. My neighbor had a Toshiba that was one of the exceptions. More of the 2012 models have the capability to pass DD5.1, but it is still the exception rather than the rule.
To expand a little on what you both have said ... a QAM (is that an "off-air channel" as you use the term?) decoded by the TV DOES output 5.1 on Charter - Greenville SC if the station broadcast 5.1 ... on an older Sony rear projection. Neither my older DVD nor newer Blu-Ray player's HDMI to the TV gives 5.1 out ... I run separate (copper SPDIF) from the player to my cheap HTIB receiver for that.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-23-2012, 09:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 235
"Off-air" is not quite an accurate term in this instance.

The bottom line is that if using the TV's internal tuner (QAM for unencrypted digital cable or 8VSB for antenna)., the optical output will pass DD. Typically most TV's will not "passthrough" DD or DTS via the optical output from externally connected devices. It will be downmixed to PCM Stereo.
But, as stated previously, there are a few (very few) that will "passthrough" a DD or DTS bitstream.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page