Getting a DAC to work with my Panasonic TC-P50UT50 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-29-2012, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got a Panasonic TC-P50UT50 and am loving it. However, the only audio out option is optical digital. I have a 2.1 speaker system that only accepts 3.5mm. I have purchased a Fii0 D3 DAC. Super cheap but I thought it would do the trick. Unfortunately, I have come to find out that it doesn't process Dolby Digital so all I get is noise. It doesn't look like the TC-P50UT50 has an option to turn off Dolby. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-07-2012, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
SUBTITLE: TosLink OR Coaxial OR Analog - Too Many Options...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallaslow View Post

Just got a Panasonic TC-P50UT50 and am loving it. However, the only audio out option is optical digital. I have a 2.1 speaker system that only accepts 3.5mm. I have purchased a Fii0 D3 DAC. Super cheap but I thought it would do the trick. Unfortunately, I have come to find out that it doesn't process Dolby Digital so all I get is noise...

Any suggestions?
  1. Did you try the DAC with different inputs to be sure that it works?
  2. Did you remove both protective covers from the ends of the TosLink cable? redface.gif

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #3 of 4 Old 08-07-2012, 04:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 235
SUBTITLE: Food for thought.

If using the TV's internal tuner and there's no option in the TV's audio setup for PCM only, your options are very limited.
post #4 of 4 Old 08-07-2012, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
SUBTITLE: Change, While Inevitable, is *STILL* a Royal PITA! tongue.gif
Everything was so much simpler, back in the 70s, when I was building my DynaKit Audio Equipment (Stereo-70, PAT-4, AF-6) and HeathKit 25" Color TV. Now I have some equipment with Digital TOSLink and some with Digital Coaxial, while my beautiful Onkyo TX-SV919THX (S-Video & Analog Audio) sits there like a dinosaur. mad.gif

I picked up a pair of *NICE* Altec Lansing ADA885 4.1 PC Speaker Systems several years ago (originally ~$400 a decade before eek.gif ; ~$40 a decade later cool.gif ) and the analog audio from my Panasonic 27" CRT would *BLAST* through the setup in the Living Room. Then, S-Video and Analog Audio disappeared. {tears} So, I eventually bought a pair of Panasonic LCDs, fed by HDMI switches and Component switches, but had to suffer with just the TV's speakers. So, I looked on Monoprice and looked on Amazon and tried an 'El-Cheapo' "TOSLink or Coaxial to Analog Converter" - NG! At full volume, I could hardly hear the ADA885. So, since the ADA885 also has a Digital Coaxial input, I fed it the output from my antique Pioneer DV-343 DVD Player. At full volume, with the A/C running, my wife couldn't hear her TMC movie from ~10 feet away. I had to turn the Surrounds into Stereo X 2 and place one next to her rocking chair for her to hear the show.

Maybe you could enlighten, or point me to a good site to read about the (as perceived by me!) deficiencies of TOSLink / Coaxial vs "Old School" Analog Audio.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. smile.gif

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
Reply HDTV Technical

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P50ut50 50 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page