Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 07-31-2012, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hi Guys.

I have an OTA antenna mounted on my roof. It is curently hooked up to my TV (my TV has an ATSC tuner built in) and everything is working fine.

However, I have an older video processor that I would like to insert into the video chain to correct the color decoding and gamma tracking on the TV. Unfortunately, this video processor does not have a COAX input.

So, if I want to run the video signal through the video processor, I need to use an available DVI or Component video input.

I really wish there were some easy way to convert COAX to HDMI without actually decoding the video, but I don't know of any such COAX-->HDMI converter. Does such a thing exist?

If not, I am gathering that I will need to buy an ATSC tuner that has HDMI and/or Component outputs to sit as an intermediary between my RG6 COAX cable and my video processor. This seems like a waste when all I really need is conversion from one output type to another, but if that's what I need, I guess that's what I'll have to buy.

Question #2) Can I use a TIVO Premier as an ATSC tuner WITHOUT paying the membership fees?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-31-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
This seems like a waste when all I really need is conversion from one output type to another,

You're not converting 'one output type to another'. You have to select the RF carrier you want, demodulate it, decode the transport stream, convert to analog component, or HDMI, and then process it.
post #3 of 14 Old 07-31-2012, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM64 View Post

You're not converting 'one output type to another'. You have to select the RF carrier you want, demodulate it, decode the transport stream, convert to analog component, or HDMI, and then process it.

So are you saying that I do need to purchase an ATSC tuner? I am not sure if you answered my question or not.

You know it's funny, but I figured someone was going to jump on the "convert one output type to another" terminology that I used. What I really meant (but didn't feel like typing) was this: Normally when I think of the need for an ATSC tuner, I think of a situation where the TV itself does not already have one built in. In my case, my television does have a tuner built in, so I don't really need a tuner, unless of course the signal needs to be decoded in order for it to be converted to HDMI, in which case I do, and this reality, while quite understandable, is something like a hemmorhod at the terminal end of my anus, and it is in fact the PRIMARY QUESTION on my mind.

You can probably understand why I didn't type all that the first time... Of course, I probably should have known I would need to, the Internet being what it is. biggrin.gif
post #4 of 14 Old 07-31-2012, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So are you saying that I do need to purchase an ATSC tuner?

Yes, you need to buy a tuner.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-31-2012, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, you need to buy a tuner.

Thanks!
post #6 of 14 Old 07-31-2012, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 88
PHD-8VX is a very good tuner from ePVision.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-31-2012, 02:06 PM

Liked: 10
if your tv has a video out and video in ,you can run the video out in to your video processor then into your tv.
milt
post #8 of 14 Old 07-31-2012, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gremmy View Post

Normally when I think of the need for an ATSC tuner, I think of a situation where the TV itself does not already have one built in. In my case, my television does have a tuner built in,

The problem is getting the tuned and decoded signal for whatever channel you want to process, out of the TV via HDMI (digital) or component video (analog), so you can feed it into your video processor. I've never seen or heard of a TV with HDMI or component (red/green/blue jacks) output. There have been a few TVs with composite video outputs (yellow jack), but those are only SD (480i).
post #9 of 14 Old 08-01-2012, 04:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
is something like a hemmorhod at the terminal end of my anus,

Lack of a TV tuner, and the inability to understand simple technology, is obviously the least of your problems.
post #10 of 14 Old 08-01-2012, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Lack of a TV tuner, and the inability to understand simple technology, is obviously the least of your problems.

I have no problem understanding simple -- or even complicated -- technology. But it all starts with asking questions. The conversion from coaxial to HDMI is not something I have ever thought about before, so I came here to ask questions. Thankfully most everyone in this thread has been kind regarding my ignorance of the topic.

In my original post, I specifically mention the SOLUTION to my own problem. I came here to consult those more knowledgeable than I, so I could be certain before I spent the money.

All in all, this thread has been successful from my perspective. I learned what I needed to know.
post #11 of 14 Old 08-01-2012, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell View Post

The problem is getting the tuned and decoded signal for whatever channel you want to process, out of the TV via HDMI (digital) or component video (analog), so you can feed it into your video processor. I've never seen or heard of a TV with HDMI or component (red/green/blue jacks) output. There have been a few TVs with composite video outputs (yellow jack), but those are only SD (480i).

Yes, it looks like I will be buying a stand alone ATSC tuner. Hopefully something relatively inexpensive with decent sensitivity and the ability to remove unwanted channels.
post #12 of 14 Old 08-01-2012, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have no problem understanding simple -- or even complicated -- technology.

really? because when I explained it to you, all I got was a wise assed remark from you.
post #13 of 14 Old 08-01-2012, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

really?

Yep, really.

I apologize for the wise ass remark. I probably interpreted the tone of your initial post incorrectly. My fault.
post #14 of 14 Old 08-01-2012, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

PHD-8VX is a very good tuner from ePVision.

Thank you! I just finished buying one direct from the epVision Website.

I tried buying the cheaper 205LE, but that appears to no longer be available, so I opted for the 8VX.

I considered the VRX, but that one seems to be quite buggy and I don't especially need the DVR functionality. Of course, the DVR would have been a nice perk for 40 extra bucks, but not worth the hassle of the "40 extra BUGS." biggrin.gif
So, 8VX it is!

Thanks again.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page