Incline Village, NV: Antenna Help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-01-2012, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We're cutting the cord with The Dish - so fed up with them. We recently bought the Apple TV3 and will also be getting a Roku (overkill, maybe, but I want Amazon streaming and Hulu Plus). Anyway, we also need an antenna to get local stations. Can anyone help with antenna recommendations?

We have a 2 story house with high ceilings, plus an attic. We also live on an upsloped lot. Therefore, the antenna will no doubt be 30 feet or more above the ground (at least if measured from the front of the house).

Here are my results from TVFool:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d99006cb34f63c0

From what I've read, AntennaWeb is very conservative and it is best to use TVFool's results.

Based on the results above, any good antenna recommendations? We'd prefer an attic mount rather than roof mount (our HDTV is currently connected to our receiver through cables that are run up into the attic, so there won't be access issues). Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-02-2012, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Unfortunately, you're on the wrong side of the slope for TV reception. The Reno transmitters are on the other side of the really big "hill" to your northeast which will substantially block most of the signals as it's probably 800' above your altitude.

You'll likely find that you'll get the best reception from reflections off surrounding terrain rather than a direct line of sight back towards Reno. Line of sight reception will be severely degraded and reflections can't be predicted.

Try a modest high-VHF/UHF (7-51) combo antenna and experiment with it. Can't get much more specific.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-02-2012, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Lakegirl, your numbers look even worse than mine. You will definitely have to roof mount your antenna(s) and you will need a good tuner that can sort out a weak, filtered signal. My effort over the last three years at finding an ATSC tuner that will work in my location has been frustrating to say the least. My latest effort is a SiliconeDust Homerun which only worked reliably about half the year I have had it. I lost half my channels this spring as soon as the sap in the evergreens started rising. I currently use a DigitalStream DTX9950 ATSC tuner that works great year around but only outputs SD.
post #4 of 4 Old 08-05-2012, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Title edited to conform with instructions in the sticky thread.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page