Lease Charter cableCARD, buy my own box? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-03-2012, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been searching and the closest thing I could find to this topic was dealing with Comcast, so apologizes if this has already been covered and I just didn't find it.

I currently have Charter service, renting a couple of cable boxes, thinking of adding a third. Unless I'm misreading this I can lease a cableCARD for $2/month? So if I buy my own cable box or dvr or whatever I can install the card and be good to go? Is it really that simple or am I missing some obvious flaw in this plan?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-03-2012, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 33
You only have 2 options as far as cable cards go TiVo or HTPC. The TiVo option will require a subscription which can be a monthly fee or a fairly substantial one time fee for lifetime service.
The PC route will require some initial expense I've read about options as cheap as $65 but I'm sure this would require a lot of tech savvy shopping and self assembly but end result would be 2.00 cable card fee would be only recurring cost.
I DO WANT TO STRESS DON'T BUY A CABLE BOX FROM EBAY!!!! You will endup owning an expensive paperweight and will posably be involved in a criminal activity also.
I hope this helps.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-03-2012, 11:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 312
.... or perhaps three options if you can get/find a Moxi
post #4 of 11 Old 08-03-2012, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! I'm not sure the PC will work considering who will be using it and Tivo would defeat the purpose of getting the card. Why exactly will another box not work with the proper card? Isn't that exactly why cable boxes aren't an all in one unit anymore?
post #5 of 11 Old 08-03-2012, 11:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Why exactly will another box not work with the proper card?
They will work. The trouble is no one (legitimate) is selling them. Also the Cable Co is not going to activate a probably stolen box.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-04-2012, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

I did read that pretty much all cable boxes for sale were stolen, but I figured that was just Yahoo Answers nonsense. I guess the bottom line is I'm stuck renting the boxes. frown.gif Thanks for the help everybody.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-05-2012, 01:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 411
HTPC can be made to work exactly like a cable box. Although it takes some effort to set up, in the end, you use a regular remote and the user experience is no different than a cable DVR. Beats paying $20/month or more, plus the interface is much, much nicer and storage is practically unlimited.

My HTPC is in another room and stays asleep whenever nothing is being watched or recorded. My interface is the XBox that was already connected to my tv and a regular IR remote (I use a universal). I paid about $100 for a cable card tuner to connect to my PC and $2/month for the card. It works very well and paid for itself in less than 6 months. I highly recommend it.

If you can wait a few more months, Ceton will begin selling a subscription free, cable card DVR called the "Q". It will be expensive, but won't have recurring fees like Tivo and won't be as complicated to set up as an HTPC.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-05-2012, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 249
I have a HDHR3 Prime on my network and a tiny PC connected to the main set. Most of my channels are copy freely so I just use the QuickTV app that came with it. Change channels from a list using a mouse. Even the Wife can do it...And she can watch TV while playing SCRABBLE.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-06-2012, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter

I might look into the PC option, or the Ceton thing I guess. I initially started looking into this since the channel lineup changed we no longer get certain channels on the little TV in the kitchen that just has regular digital cable or whatever, no box. I feel like building my own would be rather cumbersome for that situation, but I suppose maybe it could work for one of the others. Again, thanks for the replies and suggestions.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-09-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hucast View Post

I did read that pretty much all cable boxes for sale were stolen, but I figured that was just Yahoo Answers nonsense. I guess the bottom line is I'm stuck renting the boxes. frown.gif Thanks for the help everybody.

I know this is an old thread but it also is the only one I found close to what I am asking. We had some renters that had to be evicted for nonpayment. They left a ton of stuff including 2 charter cable boxes and 4 at&t boxes and remotes and modems, etc. I have looked everywhere to find out if I can sell these legitimately. I am for obvious reasons not going to go to the effort of returning them for our bad renters so can't I sell them? I don't really know why anyone would buy one personally as doesn't seem like they work without paying monthly fees anyway and so they could just get one from their provider and pay the fees that way but I really don't know.

Thanks for considering.

k
post #11 of 11 Old 08-10-2013, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Karen I can't speak for the AT&T equipment but I do know the Charter equipment is the property of Charter and it could be a felony based on the value of the items to offer for resale also no one will buy them from you because they will not work unless authorized by the billing system and the DNCS or DAC. Take them by or call your local office for pickup there my be some compensation for recovery of stolen equipment.
Reply HDTV Technical