Using a UPS and Surge Suppressor - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-04-2012, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just purchased a monster HDP 900G surge suppressor and plugged it into my APC Back-UPS NS 1250.

The surge suppressor has a power cleanup circuit and such.

When the power goes out and the APC provides power to my Home Theater stuff, I get a slight buzzing noise emanating from the surge suppressor.

My question. Is it bad to have a surge suppressor hooked to an UPS? I know APC doesn't recommend it but its not like its going to blow anything up right?

I guess I'm a bit concerned about the UPS not outputing a purse sine wave and the surge supressor overloading or something.

Please, no lectures on using a pure sign wave UPS. I want one but they are very expensive. I've been using a "regular" UPS for years without issue to my equipment.

Thanks.

Chris Blount
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-04-2012, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 229
The APC that I use says, in big letters, not to use it in conjunction was a surge suppressor. It should be plugged directly into a grounded outlet so I would just follow those instructions. Sine wave UPSs are overkill, IMO, for most HTS.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-04-2012, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Here is APC's explanation. Note that they also recommend against extension cords and power strips. They recommend the use of power distribution units (PDUs), which are essentially expensive power strips.

A MOV doesn't care if you have a sine wave, a stepped square wave, or a simple square wave. It just starts to conduct above a certain threshold voltage. The buzz you are hearing is probably from a filter choke in your power strip. Square waves can do that.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-04-2012, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

The APC that I use says, in big letters, not to use it in conjunction was a surge suppressor. It should be plugged directly into a grounded outlet so I would just follow those instructions. Sine wave UPSs are overkill, IMO, for most HTS.

I guess I should have been more clear. The APC is plugged directly into the wall and the surge suppressor is plugged into the UPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

Here is APC's explanation. Note that they also recommend against extension cords and power strips. They recommend the use of power distribution units (PDUs), which are essentially expensive power strips.
A MOV doesn't care if you have a sine wave, a stepped square wave, or a simple square wave. It just starts to conduct above a certain threshold voltage. The buzz you are hearing is probably from a filter choke in your power strip. Square waves can do that.

Thanks for the info. Any particular reason why they say not to use extension cords and power strips? Suppose something regarding cable resistance? I can see the danger in that but I figure one power strip to an UPS is no big deal. I wouldn't hook up multiple power strips however.

Chris Blount
post #5 of 6 Old 08-05-2012, 12:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 614
I've been using extension cords with my UPSs at home since the mid 90's and I've never had issue. I've also used regular surge protector outlet strips with all my UPS without any issues either.

I have to use some kind of power strips and extension cords to connect over one hundred pieces of A/V and computer equipment I have on my 12 APC UPSs(as well as cordless phones, cameras, alarm clocks, etc.). Otherwise I would not have enough outlets. I use several surge protected power strips that give me around 12 outlets each plus a bunch of smaller strips that have six outlets. As well as extension cords with three and four outlets.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #6 of 6 Old 08-10-2012, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Just as a follow up. I ended up purchasing the CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD. It puts out a pure sine wave and the price was reasonable.

No buzzing noises at all. Nice clean power. Love it! Pretty much able to handle my entire Home Theater system without issue. I also purchased one for my 60" Sony LED TV and that no longer buzzes either while on battery power.

Will still stick with the regular APC UPS's on my computers but for home theater systems, this is the way to go.

Chris Blount
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page