post #1 of 8 Old 08-06-2012, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is my TV Fool report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3D99006669c6a31f

Channels I want to get:
WEWS-TV, WKYC-DT, WBNX-TV, WVIZ-DT, WJW-DT, WOIO-DT (All these towers are at the "same" heading, 302-309 deg)

The only station I want that isn't in that tower group is:
WVPX-TV at heading 213 deg

I am planning to put the antenna in the attic (2 story house). I need to serve the signal up to three TVs (with the possibility of adding 2 more tuner devices in the future for a total of 5). I am wrapping up the cabling now, it is all RG-6. There is a central distribution point in the basement. The ridge line of the house roof runs mostly east/west, so I am going to locate the antenna on the west end of the house pointing through the west end gable. If the antenna was relatively small, I might be willing to put it outside on the west end of the house.

So, any antenna recommendations or thoughts on what other hardware might be required? I know I need something that will get me both high VHF and UHF. I am concerned because that one station at 213 degrees that I want is just about 90 degrees off the main group of stations I want. I do not want to put the antenna on a rotor, I would rather have two antennas if it is required.

Thanks in advance!

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-07-2012, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
WVPX is your strongest station on your report. So are the bulk of your stations to the NW, so even if you point your antenna to the NW, you should still get WVPX from the SW. Or point your antenna at a "sweet" spot to get both locations.
Obviously, it will be better if you mount the antenna outside to increase reception for both locations. It will also increase your signal strength thus possibly eliminating the need for an amp if you are feeding 5 devices. But you can try in the attic first and see what results you get.

As far as an antenna, you will need a hi VHF/UHF antenna, but nothing big. Something similiar to this at Radio Shack:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3739595&utm_campaign=Category_CMS&utm_source=CAT&utm_medium=RSCOM&utm_content=CT2032189
post #3 of 8 Old 08-07-2012, 10:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Anything from across the 'pond'? wink.gif

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #4 of 8 Old 08-07-2012, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mikepier - Thanks for the antenna recommendation. Will there be advantages to going with a Antennacraft HBU33 or Winegard HD7694P (over the HBU22)? The gain on those for hi VHF appears very much improved. Any help sorting out which one might be a better pick? Is there an advantage to the HBU22 over the other two antennas I mentioned?

VideoBruce - I hadn't thought about trying to grab anything from Canada (or Detroit). I think I'll start with my main local targets and see how things go from there.

So should I just start with the antenna and establish cable path to one TV and see how things go before adding any more "complication"?
post #5 of 8 Old 08-07-2012, 09:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Yes to the question. I didn't notice an attic location. How about the roof?
Combining two antennas sounds good on paper, but you open a can of worms this way. A A/B switch would be better. I would look elsewhere for an antenna than RS. wink.gif

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-07-2012, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

I'd like to start in the attic and see how things go. I understand that outside is best. I have some wife acceptance factors to get through.

I was looking at Solid Signal, they seem to have good pricing and a wide selection. Then of course there is the modern general store juggernaut of Amazon.

Hopefully I can find a sweet spot that will let me get reception from both directions I am interested in at the same time. With any luck, the fact that the WVPX is the strongest signal will result in success without pointing at it.

Thanks again,

Mark
post #7 of 8 Old 08-07-2012, 11:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
You might want to consider experimenting with an indoor antenna if any of your tvs is in a location where an indoor antenna would be acceptable. Less splits from your attic antenna means better signal to your other sets.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-08-2012, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
The Winegard is also good. I just like mentioning the Antennacraft from Radio Shack for the ease of buying, and if you don't like it, it's easy to return.

You can buy the HBU-22, and if you don't like the performance, return it and get the HBU-33. But I can't see you needing anything bigger than the HBU-22 being only 17 miles away.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page