OTA HD receiver/tuner to replace SIR-150T - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-09-2012, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greetings!

First my Philips DVR that also had a OTA tuner died. I was limping along without a DVR but still pulling in local OTA HD channels for viewing through my SIR-T150 receiver. Unfortunately it bit the bullet recently (well, I should say dying as a little warming up and will work for a little).

I looked around in places like Walmart, Target, Best Buy locally but couldn't find any with OTA HD tuner. I couldn't find any OTA HD tuner either. Is there any in the market? I can live without any recording features but I couldn't find any OTA HD tuner either. Are there any out there - online or B&M?

Thank you!
Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-09-2012, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 94
PHD-8VX from ePVision is a very good tuner. But you have to tweak the picture adjustments to get the best picture. They also have a dual tuner DVR, the VRX. And Channel Master Store online sells a basic HD tuner box, the 7001. Which is also the same as the Centronics ZAT502.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-13-2012, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Tyler,

Those are nice, especially with the DVR, but even without it was out of my budget. Luckily my friend had a digital converter box he wasn't using (APEX). Too bad it outputs only composite or S-video, and analog stereo sound (red & white).

I was wondering if the COAX, which I think is the analog pass-through, will give me better picture than S-video? My HDTV is also an old one, Mitsu WS-55819, that does 1080i from component input. I'm wondering if Ant A or Ant B inputs will display better picture? Do you know? I guess I'll find out next weekend!

Thank you again for the leads - greatly appreciate it!

Rob
post #4 of 6 Old 08-13-2012, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 94
My understanding is, with these converter boxes, that the yellow composite video input and S-video input will give you better pic quality than the coax input. With S-video being the best.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-13-2012, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you again Tyler! For now S-video it is!

Rob
post #6 of 6 Old 08-14-2012, 01:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

My understanding is, with these converter boxes, that the yellow composite video input and S-video input will give you better pic quality than the coax input. With S-video being the best.

That's correct. The coax input is basically a composite signal modulated onto an analogue RF carrier - and is likely to be noisier and possibly lower bandwith than the RCA Phono composite output.

S-video will improve on both as the chroma information and luma information are kept separate (carried on separate pins) avoiding the cross colour/cross luminance interference artefacts that you get with composite (the most common example of this is black and white stripes getting coloured bands appearing)
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page