Diplex Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-11-2012, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, I probably have a simple question but I don't know where to get more information so I thought I'd just post up. So I'm pretty behind the times. Just recently got a LCD and want to enjoy some HD service via free OTA. I was looking into antennas and it seems the best option is to mount a antenna outside. So tonight a friend told me about diplexing my directv + OTA so I started looking into it but got a little confused. Maybe you fine folks can help me out.

What i'm working with
directv (jade world package) - 1 dish with 4 coax coming into house.
comcast - basic cable + internet
All this stuff comes into the basement then out to the rooms. I'd guess theres less than 100ft of coax to each room. i can watch my basic cable fine with no amplifier and directv seems to have adequate signal to operate. I should note that rooms either have directv or comcast basic cable, not both. My thought was to diplex directv + OTA.

So from my understanding can I do the following: Buy this item, HERE. So the 4 lines from my dish + the outdoor antenna will feed into this diplexer to combine everything. The lines will come out of this and run to each of my rooms I currently have directv in. Then I need something like THIS to re-split the signal? Do I have this logic right?

My only concern is how do I make sense of the MHZ ranges listed? Do I need to even look at that stuff?

thanks for any help in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-11-2012, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

I forgot to add if anyone has suggestions for an antenna please post up. Below is my TV Fool analysis.

th_tvfool.png
post #3 of 10 Old 08-12-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Where exactly do the 4 lines from the dish go?

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #4 of 10 Old 08-12-2012, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

The 4 cables currently go to 4 rooms, each of which have a directv receiver in them.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-13-2012, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Which Directv receiver boxes and dish do you have? If they're HD service, generally, you cannot use a diplexer arrangement with them.

http://www.solidsignal.com/p/?p=2709&d=directv-dish-antenna-types&mc=02
post #6 of 10 Old 08-15-2012, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter

I'll have to check my box information. I do not currently have any HD service as originally stated which is why i'm looking into this.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-15-2012, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Normally, if you had a standard dish with 4 receivers there would be a multiswitch and the one you pictured would be fine. But, since you're looking at international birds and I don't know just how those are setup, I would say that since each of the lines goes directly from the dish (LNB) to the receiver (no multiswitch), it'd probably be best (safest) to install 2 diplexers in each line -- 1 at the dish and 1 at the receiver. Split your antenna into 4 and run them to the diplexers at the dish, and then at the receiver, one line goes to the receiver while the other goes to the TV set. That is assuming that your TV sets have ATSC tuners in them. If not, you'll need ATSC tuners for them.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-15-2012, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Ed. I just got a new LCD so I really only want the antenna for that TV. None of my other TVs have a tuner capable of picking up digital stuff. I will get the individual diplexers to try out first on one of the lines. I wanted to use the 4 line input because then it'd cover me for all the rooms in the future.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-15-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey0066 View Post

Thanks Ed. I just got a new LCD so I really only want the antenna for that TV. None of my other TVs have a tuner capable of picking up digital stuff. I will get the individual diplexers to try out first on one of the lines. I wanted to use the 4 line input because then it'd cover me for all the rooms in the future.
You can always give that multiswitch a try. I just don't know if the international stuff works the same as domestic.

On a brighter note, you'll now be able to watch your locals in HD, as well as all of their multicast channels.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-15-2012, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Smokey,

You REALLY, REALLY need to go look at the dish as has already been suggested. If you have an older 3-LNB dish or older, it's easy to use a multi-switch with OTA input and diplexers for as long as you have that current arrangement. If not, it's pretty much not possible, especially if you have an SWM unit.

Long term, especially if you plan on eventually upgrading to D*'s HD service, you'd be better served having a separate OTA distribution system.

As for an antenna suggestion, the Coon Rapids area requires a small 7-51 combo antenna. Point it at Shoreview for best results.

Tech support for Antennas Direct
Reply HDTV Technical

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Directv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page