Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-01-2012, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a simple question.

If I play a Blu-Ray disc that outputs 24p on my 120hz set:

Will this look like that "soap opera effect," that is really smooth and lifelike?
OR
Will this look exactly like it would on the movie screen?

I just want to know how I can replicate the movie theater experience the best (24fps, slightly "choppy", very move-like)

I ask this because I am choosing between a 60hz and 120hz set - if 120hz looks fake and takes away from the cinematic feel, I don't want it.

It's hard to get a clear answer on this stuff with so much inconsistent information I've been reading.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-01-2012, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
If your player can output 24p, just make sure your TV can reproduce 24p and is set to do so.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-01-2012, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by goros View Post

If your player can output 24p, just make sure your TV can reproduce 24p and is set to do so.

Yes but that did not answer my question.

Will that produce the ultra-smooth "soap opera effect"
or
Will that produce the same style I see in the movie theater that has a genuine cinema look to it?
post #4 of 5 Old 09-01-2012, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by betelgeuse4721 View Post

Yes but that did not answer my question.
Will that produce the ultra-smooth "soap opera effect"
or
Will that produce the same style I see in the movie theater that has a genuine cinema look to it?
If you don't want the effect of motion interpolation (fake smoothed motion look), make sure it's turned off on the TV (on most 100/120Hz TVs it can be turned off).

ie. turn Motion Plus or Auto Motion Plus (that's Samsung's name for it, Sony calls it MotionFlow) to Off.

With Motion Plus or MotionFlow set to Off the motion should look similar* to how it looks at the cinema.

(I think some newer TVs have a judder reduction setting - if the TV does, ensure that it's set to 0)

----
Also, in theory, a 120Hz TV should be able to produce more cinema-like motion than an equivalent 60Hz one.

ie. with most films being 24Hz, and 24 doesn't go into 60 an even number of times (60/24=2.5), so it has to use "2:3 pull-down" (and you get 2:3 pull-down judder - a type of judder you don't get at the cinema).
24 goes into 120 an even number of times (120/24=5), so you don't have "2:3 pull-down" (assuming the TV does it correctly - and I'm talking about 2D content here, not 3D - with 3D you may), so you don't get that additional pull-down judder (but you do get the judder/strobing of the low 24 fps frame rate).

* Cinemas (those using film projectors) might flash the image on screen a certain number of times per frame, whereas with an LCD TV, the picture may be always on (ie. not blanking between frames), so the look, in that way, could be different. Some digital cinemas might use dark frame insertion and some LCDs might have that as an option so you could get a similar effect.
demonfoo likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-04-2012, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Sony has Cinemotion AND Motionflow. Just shut them both off (or whatever versions your brand implements).
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page