Starting to get the OTA Bug - Need ATSC Tuner Suggestions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-03-2012, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
kpf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm starting to get the OTA bug, but my Pioneer Kuro KPR-600M does not have a built in ATSC Tuner.

So before I even get to the antenna part of the equation, I want to get moving on this and get a good HD ATSC Tuner and I need some suggestions. I don't think I want to spend too much over the $100 range. Does that sound reasonable?

After I get this part done, then I'll start looking into an antenna, which might be more for the experimental side of the equation. As a kid I used to do DX'ing on the Shortwave and AM Radio bands, plus I'm a Ham operator, so I like to play around and see what works best (I live on a hill in Northwest Connecticut and growing up, before cable, we used to pull in stations from N.Y.C. at night...Anyways, first things first.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-03-2012, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 235
I'd Google your search. There are still some out there but the choices are somewhat limited because there isn't as much of a demand for them now as there was a few years ago. You may have to increase your budget a bit. I'm surprised that the Kuro didn't come with an ATSC tuner. Seems like a major oversight to me. Depending on your location, you may want to think about a rooftop antenna when you get to that point.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-04-2012, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Something like this would work good for you, and used is cheaper yet.

hxxp://www.ebay.com/itm/NFUSION-HD-FTA-RECEIVER-HIGH-DEFINITION-BRAND-NEW-ORIGINAL-/221119991677?pt=US_Satellite_TV_Receivers&hash=item337bc74f7d

The PVR function isn't the greatest with this model, but it does work, however the tuner works very well.

I prefer the Sonicview, but they are more expensive. Now that I think of it, I really need to get around to throwing my used nfusion HD and Ebox HD on ebay or craigslist LOL.
I personally have three Sonicviews that I use for OTA recording of shows.
post #4 of 9 Old 09-04-2012, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Probably one of the best HDTV STBs ever made was the LG LST-4200A. It worked wonders on difficult to get and lock onto stations. However, it only had a DVI output (if memory servers me correctly) and it could not record. QAM, 420i/p, 720p, 1080i native output, composite/component outputs so you could connect a DVR should you choose.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-24-2012, 10:20 PM

I am upgrading from a Sanyo PLV Z1 to a Panasonic PTAE-8000u projector after nearly 10 years. I have been using the LG-LST3510a as the OTA tuner and the 3510a has served me well with one major irritation. It would always default to 480p due to HDCP handshake issues over DVI. I had to manually reset resolution each time I powered the box on. Now that HDCP has had ten years to play out, I am hoping there is a standalone OTA ATSC tuner out there that outputs 1080i over HDMI after performing the handshake with the PTAE-8000u with a Onkyo receiver acting as a pass through. I would also like the tuner to be internet connected if possible to get firmware updates. Is there any such contraption? I am hoping with all the cable cord cutters out there there is a decent non-HTPC solution out there. Any suggestions appreciated.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-27-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 89
PHD-8VX is an excellent HD tuner from ePVision. Also their VRX DVR is an excellent dual tuner HD tuner box, but can be a bit problematic as a DVR. But both have very good sensitivity for OTA reception.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-28-2012, 12:06 PM

Thanks for the PHD-8VX suggestion. Do you own one? How long is the startup time? Are channel changes quick? Is the listings guide implemented well?
post #8 of 9 Old 11-28-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by peddagunnu View Post

Thanks for the PHD-8VX suggestion. Do you own one? How long is the startup time? Are channel changes quick? Is the listings guide implemented well?
Channel changes are a bit slow as the remote is a bit slow to respond. But tuner sensitivity is very good. But for a little bit more money I prefer the VRX DVR as it has dual inputs that allow for 2 antennas without a rotor which can give you more flexibility. And I like the menu interface a bit better. But again channel changes are not quite as quick as I would prefer. Tuners on both models are very good. Listings guide is pretty good if I remember, but the box is in use at my sister's house so I haven't checked it out lately.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-28-2012, 02:19 PM

Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page