Panama City, FL, antenna help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-03-2012, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3de7799aee13b931

there's my TV fool info. if anyone can give me any advice that'd be awesome. I used to have two indoor antennas that worked pretty well but that was in Va. neither pick up any channels here (panama city). it seems fairly flat around here I guess some trees but that's it. I'd like to order an antenna and maybe attempt to put it in my attic above my garage myself if ya'll think that would work. if not I'll probably hire someone to install it outside on a pole or on my roof. so what antenna setup should I go with? any idea on how much est it would cost to install?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-04-2012, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Your biggest issue is CBS which is 55 miles away and off axis with the other stations by about 30-40 degrees. PBS is also an issue pointing at 309 degrees. You can certainly try the attic and point the antenna a few degrees either side of North in a sweet spot. and see what you get. If results are not good, you need to put the antenna outside.

Regardless of where you put it, you need a hi VHF/UHF combo antenna, and a fairly big one capable of 60+ mile range.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-04-2012, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Adding to my post above (for some reason the edit feature not working for me) you can get 2 antennas. One would be a VHF only antenna pointed to the NE strictly for Ch's 7,9, and 13 This antenna would not need to be anything big.
The other antenna would be a UHF only to get CBS and PBS pointed primarily to the NW.
Join the 2 with a splitter/combiner.
post #4 of 6 Old 09-04-2012, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Those flat panel style antennas don't work very well for VHF, particularly at long distances. If you are trying an indoor antenna, then go to HHG and get a Terk HDTVa. It has adjustable rabbit ears which you need for VHF, and a very good UHF element. Plug it in, and try it with the amp both turned on and off. See which works better. And check Amazon and online for lowest price, and see if HHG will price match. They sold me one for $20. But the average online price is around $35-$40, but still much cheaper than the instore price of $69. But a good outdoor HiVHF/UHF combo antenna would work best, and possibly with a preamp. Consider Antennacraft HBU33 or HBU55, or Winegard 7696/7698. The Antennacrafts are sold at Radioshack, but cheaper online.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-05-2012, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepier View Post

One would be a VHF only antenna pointed to the NE strictly for Ch's 7,9, and 13 This antenna would not need to be anything big.
The other antenna would be a UHF only to get CBS and PBS pointed primarily to the NW.
Join the 2 with a splitter/combiner.

This is probably what I would try in this situation especially since I use a Tivo and any rotor or switch negates the ability to record more than one show from different directions. However, the OP should be aware that WJHG has applied to move from channel 7 to 18. That could eventually complicate matters. Also, it appears that WPCT has the Retro Network and WBIF is Daystar if those are of any interest as well.
I would be a bit concerned about using one UHF antenna for both the CBS and PBS stations at 42 degrees apart. Certainly something less directional would be advised such as a 4 bay UHF antenna rather than a Yagi. There would be less loss and chance of interference if the UHF and VHF antennas were joined together with a UHF/VHF signal joiner (UVSJ) rather than a splitter used backwards.
It is an interesting location for OTA reception and definitely achievable.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-08-2012, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Please put your location in ALL antenna help TOPIC TITLES. See my edit. Read the sticky.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Reply HDTV Technical

Tags
Terk , Terk Hdtvo Amplified Hdtv Antenna , Antennacraft , Accessories , Winegard

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page