Does Comcast hook up 2 separate cable connections to the house (internet vs tv)? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-05-2012, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So i was just on the phone with Comcast canceling my TV and phone service (but keeping internet) and the customer service rep I was talking to said they'd have to schedule an appointment for Comcast to come out and disconnect my cable tv service. She said they connect 2 lines to the house; one for tv and one internet.

Is this accurate?? I consider myself to be technically savvy, but that doesnt make any sense to me. Why would Comcast run separate lines for services that are distributed through the house over a single line? It seems like that would make for additional, unnecessary distribution costs. Does anyone know anything about this? I'm curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-05-2012, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In my area (Rockford, IL) they run one line to a little grey box on the outside of the house, it goes through a grounding block and then to a two way splitter, one cable is labelled (phone - which is a lie) and goes to the cable modem, the other goes to a 3 way splitter to the TV lines. If they come, they may disconnect the three way splitter (or equivalent) and put a lock on the two way splitter, which is easily removed (they did this to my Mother in laws even though she has Basic cable??).

As an aside, it is cheaper here to get internet + basic tv ($9 local qam channels only) that just internet as they then charge you for a one service only fee of $15. We get our landline through Nettalk which is about $30 per year for unlimited calling over VOIP.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-05-2012, 12:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 234
One line/coax for everthing. Although, they may do a truck roll to install a trap/filter to block TV.
But.... it really doesn't matter either way or what they do, you're cancelling the subscription. wink.gif
post #4 of 6 Old 09-06-2012, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 27
It's going to vary from area to area and from installer to installer.  In my case a single cable comes from the pole but there's a splitter on our house wall to divide the downstream connection that we use for Internet and phone from the two that go to other parts of the house for television.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-07-2012, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

It's going to vary from area to area and from installer to installer.  In my case a single cable comes from the pole but there's a splitter on our house wall to divide the downstream connection that we use for Internet and phone from the two that go to other parts of the house for television.
There's a splitter alright, but it doesn't separate downstream from upstream. Almost every part of a coax cable system is two way.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-08-2012, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

In my case a single cable comes from the pole but there's a splitter on our house wall to divide the downstream connection that we use for Internet and phone from the two that go to other parts of the house for television.
There's a splitter alright, but it doesn't separate downstream from upstream.
I wasn't implying that it did.  My use of the word "downstream" was only to indicate in which direction the device called a "splitter" was doing a job of splitting.  With a perspective of looking upstream I'd have had to call it a combiner.
Quote:
Almost every part of a coax cable system is two way.
Yes, of course.
Reply HDTV Technical

Tags
Displays , Cables Interconnects

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page