HDMI Connectors Blue Screen??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-07-2012, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had signal dropout and blue screen issues right from the beginning with both of the HD-DVD playback devices I've used. I don't have the problem with the Comcast DVR nor the HD-DVD Recorder boxes. All devices use the same HDMI cable brand and type.

When viewing HD-DVD's or even regular upscaled DVD's I frequently..numerous times per movie...lose the signal (usually with loud pops) and goes to blue screen with the advisory "NO SIGNAL". Sometimes the signal returns by itself after 10..15..or 30 seconds. But usually I jiggle the connector at the back of the box and that restores the signal..albeit usually only temporarily. The cables themselves are all 4 or 5 or 6 foot cables, so I doubt that cable length is the issue.

I'm inclined to think it's a cable connector issue either inherent in the technology or possibly specific to Toshiba's HDMI connection design.
So I guess I'm hoping someone has a definitive answer or solution to offer. If it's a "known issue" with Toshiba..or maybe just a new cable brand...I dunno. But I'm at my wits end..Thanks in advance.

My equipment:

Samsung HLT 5687 SAX
Toshiba HD-A3
Toshiba HD-XA2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-07-2012, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 236
A new HDMI cable is about five bucks at MonoPrice...
post #3 of 7 Old 09-07-2012, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know...that's the simple answer..I was expecting that..but I'm wondering if the issue is something else. And are all cables more or less equal in quality?
post #4 of 7 Old 09-08-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino520 View Post

I know...that's the simple answer..I was expecting that..but I'm wondering if the issue is something else. And are all cables more or less equal in quality?
Yes and no.

While price has nothing to do with quality, there are differences in quality among cables. While those inexpensive cables from Monoprice are awesome, I won't ever buy an RCA branded one again after handshaking issues with a couple of theirs I picked up locally since I needed them quicker than shipping would provide.

The cheap looking cable that came with my DirecTV DVR actually worked great - until they added 1080p PPV and VOD content. I started getting handshaking issues that were solved with a new cable from Monoprice - no problem since. The old cable lives on my Roku with no issue.

As far as your issue, it may just be a bad cable in a run of normally good ones. That happens.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-08-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 254
I agree with all of the above. I'd just buy a certified High Speed HDMI cable (6') from Monoprice, MediaBridge, or BlueJeans and try it. It could very well be just a bad cable.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-09-2012, 07:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

I agree with all of the above. I'd just buy a certified High Speed HDMI cable (6') from Monoprice, MediaBridge, or BlueJeans and try it. It could very well be just a bad cable.
Just one thing to add:

You don't have to buy a heavy gauge cable if it's a short run. While it doesn't hurt to get a thicker cable, it can make routing and connecting it difficult and potentially create extra stress on the connection since the cable won't bend very well. 6 feet or less, thinner cables are fine, provided they are high speed compatable. The thinner ones will usually have ferrite coils at each end, something not needed with the heavier ones.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-09-2012, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 254
+1. As long as its certified for your length, you're good to go.
Reply HDTV Technical

Tags
Displays , Samsung , Toshiba , Monoprice , Mediabridge Products Llc , Cables Interconnects

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page