Why is my picture better with component than with HDMI cables? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 09-08-2012, 03:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a question, why it seems that my TV picture is better with component cables than with HDMI, and I was wondering if you guys can help me with that. I think that the picture on my Samsung HDTV looks much better with component than with HDMI cables. I have Time Warner Cable.
I had read somewhere that there is a technical reason why that might be happening but I forgot what I read. It was saying that it had to do with more color information from component or something like that.
I think the picture is better like that with both HD and standard definition programs.
Maybe that is not happening with newer TVs-my Sammy is a 2010 model. Also, HDMI technology will improve in the future. But for now I am happy with the component connection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-08-2012, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Each input of the TV has it's own individual adjustments. Have you tried tweaking them? If adjusted properly, you should see the exact same picture quality with a cable TV source.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-08-2012, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post

Each input of the TV has it's own individual adjustments. Have you tried tweaking them? If adjusted properly, you should see the exact same picture quality with a cable TV source.
Yes, I have tweaked the picture controls. Actually, I have used the Digital Video Essentials BD calibration disc to calibrate the picture. But I think the same thing is still happening.
post #4 of 12 Old 09-08-2012, 06:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Are you using the TW cable STB to convert the incoming program to the same resoluition when sending to both HDMI and Component? Do you see any difference between program sources, 720p, 1080i, or 480i?
post #5 of 12 Old 09-08-2012, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

Are you using the TW cable STB to convert the incoming program to the same resoluition when sending to both HDMI and Component? Do you see any difference between program sources, 720p, 1080i, or 480i?
My Time Warner Cable set-top box changes the resolution automatically according to the channel source, 1080i, 720p, etc., in both the component and the HDMI inputs. I notice that the programs in 720p (my TV's native resolution) and 1080i look sharper than 480i. They also look more exciting.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-08-2012, 10:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 346
It's always possible the component signal is a bit softer, thus hiding some of the flaws in the signal due to excess compression.
phildaant and Cabal0 like this.
post #7 of 12 Old 09-09-2012, 05:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
SD 480i video content will always look softer when it uipscaled to 720p or 1080p since the TV has to invent the content of the additional pixels to be displayed. Top of the line and newer TVs have better upscaling video chips the other models.
post #8 of 12 Old 09-10-2012, 01:11 AM

I don't know how Component vs HDMI effects digital TV, but here's what it does when we talk console games (running at 720p or upscaled 1080p):

Component cables transfer an analog signal, meaning there is a little bit of distortion, making the image appear smooth and soft, thus hiding image flaws, like one member pointed out.

HDMI is 100% digital, the cleanest signal you could possible expect from an HDTV. This means that whatever imperfections, flaws or anomalies the source may have, will be clearly visible. However, HDMI does offer more crispiness, sharpness and clarity. In some cases, even better colors. You may need to buy a good-quality HDMI cable (Monster comes highly recommended, but pricey), and tweak your TV for HDMI. You will definitely experience better sound with HDMI cables too.

In addition, HDMI may also offer slightly better motion clarity and screen refresh. Hope this helps.
post #9 of 12 Old 09-10-2012, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Just say no to Monster cables! Monoprice or Blue Jeans or even Amazon will get you just as good a cable at a fraction of the cost.
post #10 of 12 Old 09-10-2012, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak191 View Post

I don't know how Component vs HDMI effects digital TV, but here's what it does when we talk console games (running at 720p or upscaled 1080p):

Component cables transfer an analog signal, meaning there is a little bit of distortion, making the image appear smooth and soft, thus hiding image flaws, like one member pointed out.

HDMI is 100% digital, the cleanest signal you could possible expect from an HDTV. This means that whatever imperfections, flaws or anomalies the source may have, will be clearly visible. However, HDMI does offer more crispiness, sharpness and clarity. In some cases, even better colors. You may need to buy a good-quality HDMI cable (Monster comes highly recommended, but pricey),

He drank the kool-aid!!
post #11 of 12 Old 09-10-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
HDMI may also offer slightly better motion clarity and screen refresh

..and popped a handfull of pills too.
post #12 of 12 Old 11-16-2012, 09:35 PM

Liked: 50
I also use component for my Cox box. It has a better picture and Cox fully admits it. Their hi-def box only supports up to 1080i and I just think it's their weak hardware that makes the hdmi connection look a bit less crisp. I tried three different box's and then just gave up and stayed with using component. You just might have the same issue.
Reply HDTV Technical

Tags
Displays , Samsung , Cables Interconnects

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page