Pixel/Screen size: what's this? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-09-2012, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I own a 40" Bravia. There's an option in the display menu that says "Screen Size: normal/full"

After switching it to full, I noticed how games/movies running at 720p/1080p seemed sharper and crispier. What I've observed is how the pixels get more tightly squeezed together, objects appear smaller, and hence the image appears crispier.

One downside though: I've noticed in games how the objects seem a bit stretched out towards the edges of the screen. At times an object's scale seems off: they appear a certain size in the middle of the screen, and around the edges, they appear maybe a bit bigger or stretched out. I don't have any zoom turned on, just full widescreen (standard/default).

Even though graphics (X360) look stunning at 1080p, full screen size, I tend to leave this setting on 'normal', as cars in Forza 4 tend to appear stretched around the edges and not so wide and sleek-looking more towards the center of the screen. In shooters for example, objects appear a bit bigger and stretch out somewhat when nearing the corners of the screen. Guns seem a bit stretched out if the character's holding them too far to the right or left.

I'm sure somebody here has some thoughts/comments on experiencing this, particularly with games.

I understand that 'normal' is the default screen size for any given resolution, and 'full' squeezes as many pixels as possible to make the image look sharper and less jaggy. However, I feel the aspect ration suffers a little.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-10-2012, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter

How long do I need to wait before I start getting feedback??

Just wondering... as I don't post here very often.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-10-2012, 02:43 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak191 View Post

How long do I need to wait before I start getting feedback??
Just wondering... as I don't post here very often.

there's a little button with a star at the top of the first post that says SUBSCRIBE. click that and when someone responds you'll get an email telling you.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-10-2012, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Ideally, you want to set your display to zero overscan i.e. so that the borders/edges of the source input isn't being cut off. If you have a native 720p or 1080p set (as opposed to 1366x768), you also want to achieve 1:1 pixel mapping from the source to the display device. For most Bravia sets (at least the more recent models), there should be a "Full Pixel" mode which accomplishes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-11-2012, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post

Ideally, you want to set your display to zero overscan i.e. so that the borders/edges of the source input isn't being cut off. If you have a native 720p or 1080p set (as opposed to 1366x768), you also want to achieve 1:1 pixel mapping from the source to the display device. For most Bravia sets (at least the more recent models), there should be a "Full Pixel" mode which accomplishes this.

Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it!

I don't believe the borders are being cut off in any way, but I've realized setting the screen size to full, maybe an inch of the image gets squeezed in from both sides (that wasn't visible before), and I'm simply being able to see more on my TV. It seems everything is tightly packed together even more resulting in a sharper and crispier image, but then I see objects appearing different sizes in the center of the screen, and appearing a bit bigger and wider around the edges. This can be a bit off putting when playing a driving sim like Forza Motorsport 4, where cars don't seem that 'sleek' and 'sporty' in the middle of the screen, but as they move closer to the edges, they appear nice, wide and sleek, and look more up to scale like their real-life counterparts.

However, I haven't noticed any of this in 'normal' screen size. My Bravia is a 2008 model, and in the display/screen settings, you have the option of setting the screen/pixel size to normal (recommended one) or full, which is like you say, 1:1 pixel mapping.

For movies, I always select 1:1 pixel mapping, as I don't seem to notice any unusual effects, but with games, I'm sticking to normal for now, as objects/cars/characters looking up to scale (anywhere on the screen) is very important.
Reply HDTV Technical

Tags
Displays , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread - 250gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page