Directv; can I buy a used / new satellite dish online and use the receiver at my house? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 09-10-2012, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Have a quick question....I have a relative that has an extra Directv receiver that they are not using in a spare room....can I buy a used / new satellite dish online and use the receiver at my house?

If so, are there certain receivers that only work with certain dishes etc? Anything else I should know? I am in the process of getting the specific model of the receiver from my relative if that would help. Also, how do you tell if a satellite dish is capable of receiving HD signal...does if have to do with how many LNB's it has? Sorry for the stupid questions...new to this satellite deal....currently a cable subscriber!

Thanks,
Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-10-2012, 09:30 AM

Liked: 10
You get all of that stuff for free and set up properly when you sign up for Direct TV. Trying to save a buck by doing it yourself just doesn't make financial sense.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-10-2012, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorCAD View Post

You get all of that stuff for free and set up properly when you sign up for Direct TV. Trying to save a buck by doing it yourself just doesn't make financial sense.

No offense but saving money was kind of the whole point of starting this thread? My relative is letting me use the box for free! I do not want to sign into a contract....basically trying it out to see if it is going to be efficient for my family to use.

Anyway, can you could address my questions when you have a chance...if so that would be great:)

Thanks,
Michael
post #4 of 13 Old 09-10-2012, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Yes, if you buy the right dish and wiring setup it will work. Which setup you need depends on what receiver they are giving you.

That said, this is against DirecTVs terms of service and if they find out they can ban you from ever getting DirecTV service, and they can cancel and ban your relative from getting service ever again as well. Your relative will also have to pay any early termination fees that may apply if his service gets cancelled (for example if they have 10 months left under contract with DirecTV they will owe $200 in early termination fees, or $20/month for however many months they have left).
post #5 of 13 Old 09-10-2012, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker View Post

Yes, if you buy the right dish and wiring setup it will work. Which setup you need depends on what receiver they are giving you.
That said, this is against DirecTVs terms of service and if they find out they can ban you from ever getting DirecTV service, and they can cancel and ban your relative from getting service ever again as well. Your relative will also have to pay any early termination fees that may apply if his service gets cancelled (for example if they have 10 months left under contract with DirecTV they will owe $200 in early termination fees, or $20/month for however many months they have left).

Beerstalker-

Thanks for your response. After doing some more research, I don't think its going to work. The receiver they were going to let me borrow is part of the Whole House System (H25-500) so I think it has to be part of the complete system in order for it to work.

I was only going to "test" the waters per say to see if it held up in our area due to us living in a usually windy area. Just did not want to be locked in to a 1 or 2 year contract if it does not work out.

In reference to my previous question in the original post, how can you tell what receiver / dish will work together and which ones are HD?

Thanks for your assistance....

Michael
post #6 of 13 Old 09-11-2012, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

The H25 requires a SWM setup. So the easiest thing to do would be get a Slimline dish with SWM LNB and a power inserter. This would be everything you would need to get it up and running.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?mc=02&p=AU9-SL3-SWM-B&d=DIRECTV-AU9SL3SWMBPWS-Three-LNB-KaKu-Slim-Line-Dish-Antenna-w-Long-and-Short-Brace-and-SL3SWM-LNB-Combo-(AU9SL3SWMBPWS)&c=DIRECTV Dishes&sku=

You might be able to find it cheaper on your local Craigslist or eBay, but you need to make sure to get the Slimline Dish with a SWM LNB, and a power inserter. Since you would only be using one HD receiver you wouldn't need a splitter.

It will work fine without being hooked up to their whole home system.

Do not hook it up to your home internet service though, as it will call into DirecTV and report its location, which will tell DirecTV that it is being used at a different address and they will investigate/shut off service.

All this said, I really think it would be best just to sign up for service. If the dish is properly installed wind will not be a problem. I live in a very windy location, and it is only a problem for me on the windiest days (40MPH+), and I believe that is only because my dish wasn't installed correctly. I just haven't had time to fix it. My neighbor with DirecTV, and my HughesNet satellite internet (which also uses a similar dish) don't have any issues with wind, both of those dishes were installed correctly.

Also, depending on your state laws you may have a certain window in which you can cancel service without penalty if you don't like it, or have issues.
post #7 of 13 Old 09-11-2012, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Beerstalker-

First, thanks a lot for your help...I really really appreciate it. This satellite thing is new for me and I would like to learn the ins and outs....would like to get fully converted over to satellite eventually and get away from the cable monsters (comcrap)! Just want to test it out for a while to ensure it will work out just as good...we have a lot of complaints in and around our area of outages due to weather, wind, etc.

Anyway, in ref to your post...I did see a few postings on CL and was wondering if you could tell by the pic if they would work with the H25?

http://delaware.craigslist.org/pho/3261207121.html

http://delaware.craigslist.org/ele/3228276211.html

Also, if I were to pick up one of these satellites, where would I buy the correct "power inserter"...I have no idea what that is used for? I inquire with the sellers and they stated the satellites do not require a power wire or anything so not sure what the power inserter is used for? I will do a google search now and attempt to find out more info....

Thanks for your assistance again...I would like to pick up one of these satellites soon if they would work....decent price..not sure how long they are going to be around:)

Michael
post #8 of 13 Old 09-12-2012, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Both of those dishes will work fine, however I can't tell from the pictures whether or not the LNB (the feed horn thing on the end of the rectangular arm out in front of the dish) is a SWM LNB or not. Ask the seller how many coax ports there are on the LNB (they will need to remove it from the rectangular tube to see). If there is only one coax port on the LNB then it is a SWM lnb and it will work. If there are 4 coax ports on the LNB then it is an old style one and it won't work (at least not without getting more complicated and spending more money).

Or if there is a part number on the LNB you might be able to tell from that (I'm not sure, haven't looked into it that deep before).

This is a SWM LNB:
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?mc=02&p=SL3-SWM&d=DIRECTV-SL3SWM-SlimLine-Single-Wire-KaKu-Triple-LNB-With-BuiltIn-Multiswitch-(SL3SWM)&c=DIRECTV Dishes&sku=8546300073

This is a old style LNB:
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?mc=02&p=SL3&d=DIRECTV-SL3-SlimLine-Four-Out-KaKu-Slim-Line-LNB-(SL3)&c=DIRECTV Dishes&sku=

The sellers might not realize if they have a power inserter or not. It would have been plugged into the coax, and into a wall outlet somewhere inside there house. Some people don't realize that it is actually supplying power to the satellite dish (actually it's powering the multiswitch built into the LNB but that's info thats technical stuff that we don't really need to get into).

I guess since the Craiglist dishes are so cheap though you might consider just buying them and buying a SWM LNB seperate if you need to. You can save a decent amoutn of money if you're willing to buy from eBay. Like this has the LNB, power inserter, and a splitter (which you really won't need).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-DIRECTV-SWM-3-LNB-4-WAY-8-WAY-SPLITTER-21V-POWER-SUPPLY-FREE-SHIPPING-/120985239374?pt=US_Satellite_LNB_Downconverters&hash=item1c2b483f4e

Then you just need to figure out how you are going to mount it.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-18-2012, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Beerstalker-

I was able to pick up a slimline on ebay for 43 bucks, although it is an SL5 not an SL3. I think they are similar but the SL5 is able to pick up addt'l channels or something?

Anyway, the auction came with the power supply (I supposed that means inverter) and an 8 way splitter (not sure how to hook that up yet).

So, it looks like this week I will be running some wires to the planned location. According to my location, I think the satellite has to be pointed SW towards the 101 satellite (according to dish pointer). A few more questions if you don't mind:

- Any more tools / equipment / gadgets I will need to find the satellite once it is mounted?

- The dish comes as a complete kit so it includes mounting hardware...will I be able to mount this on the side of my house (into siding / exterior wall) versus mounting on the roof?

- I will assume since the SWM is built into the end of the dish itself and only has one coax plug on it then I only need to run one coax to the planned install location?

Anything else that I should know before jumping into this install that you think is important?

Thanks for your assistance.....
post #10 of 13 Old 09-18-2012, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1chael View Post

Beerstalker-
I was able to pick up a slimline on ebay for 43 bucks, although it is an SL5 not an SL3. I think they are similar but the SL5 is able to pick up addt'l channels or something?
The SL3 looks at the satellites at 99°, 101°, and 103°, the SL5 looks at those three locations as well as 110° and 119°. 110° is no longer being used by DirecTV in the US, 119° is but it is mostly foreign language programming so if you aren't getting a foreign language package you don't really need it. There are a few music channels on it as well if those are important to you. Be aware though that the 119° satellite can sometimes be harder to get line of sight to, so in most cases DirecTV doesn't use it unless they have to.
Quote:

Anyway, the auction came with the power supply (I supposed that means inverter) and an 8 way splitter (not sure how to hook that up yet).
Yes Pwer Supply and Power Inserter should be the same thing. Since you are only installing one receiver you won't use the splitter at all.
Quote:

So, it looks like this week I will be running some wires to the planned location. According to my location, I think the satellite has to be pointed SW towards the 101 satellite (according to dish pointer). A few more questions if you don't mind:
- Any more tools / equipment / gadgets I will need to find the satellite once it is mounted?
No you shouldn't really need anything else other than the tools to mount the dish and cut/add fittings to the coax cable. You can use the signal meter in the satellite receiver itself to aim the dish. There are some good videos on how to do it on Solidsignal and YouTube I believe.
Quote:

- The dish comes as a complete kit so it includes mounting hardware...will I be able to mount this on the side of my house (into siding / exterior wall) versus mounting on the roof?
I'm not sure mounting to the side of the house would be a good idea. I dont' believe DirecTV allows that anymore, so while it might work fine for you right now, if you end up getting DirecTV service yourself they probably won't use that dish and will install their own on your roof or on a pole in your yard.
Quote:

- I will assume since the SWM is built into the end of the dish itself and only has one coax plug on it then I only need to run one coax to the planned install location?
You will run a coax cable from the dish to the power inserter, and then another coax cable from the power inserter to the HD receiver. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to install a ground block in the line before it enters your house too.
Quote:

Anything else that I should know before jumping into this install that you think is important?
Again, I will say that this is against DirecTVs erms of service and I don't
recommend doing it.
Quote:

Thanks for your assistance.....
You're welcome.

There is a lot more knowledge and information on DirecTV service and installation over at AVSForums' sister site DBSTalk.com. You should think about going over there and reading/posting. Word of caution though, they are much more strict on talking about doing things against DirecTV's terms of service, so I don't know if I would go into too much detail on what you are trying to do. Here's a link to the installation subforum.
http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=113
post #11 of 13 Old 09-18-2012, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The SL3 looks at the satellites at 99°, 101°, and 103°, the SL5 looks at those three locations as well as 110° and 119°. 110° is no longer being used by DirecTV in the US, 119° is but it is mostly foreign language programming so if you aren't getting a foreign language package you don't really need it. There are a few music channels on it as well if those are important to you. Be aware though that the 119° satellite can sometimes be harder to get line of sight to, so in most cases DirecTV doesn't use it unless they have to.

So with all that in mind the SL5 that I purchased will still work with this particular receiver...correct (H25-500)?
Quote:

I'm not sure mounting to the side of the house would be a good idea. I dont' believe DirecTV allows that anymore, so while it might work fine for you right now, if you end up getting DirecTV service yourself they probably won't use that dish and will install their own on your roof or on a pole in your yard.

Ok so mounting to the side of the house will not work is what you saying....hmmm...I didn't really want to mount it to the roof so I guess maybe I will consider putting in a 4x4 post in the ground or tripod.
Quote:

You will run a coax cable from the dish to the power inserter, and then another coax cable from the power inserter to the HD receiver. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to install a ground block in the line before it enters your house too.

Thanks for the idea on the ground block....I guess I will order one of those. Install the ground block before the coax enters the house? Not really up to date on how to install a ground block so I guess I will search around online a little.

Thanks for the info on the DBStalk I will consider that in the future.
post #12 of 13 Old 09-19-2012, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes the SL5 will work. For the other questions I suggest checking out DBSTalk.
post #13 of 13 Old 09-19-2012, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
You know that what you are doing is fraud, right?
Reply HDTV Technical

Tags
Directv , Receivers Amplifiers , Dish Network , Cables Interconnects

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page