Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 69 Old 03-07-2014, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

No and yes. Considering the size, they are kinda nice, but absolutely no features what so ever. You probably won't get all the HD channels that you are paying for that you would with a regular MSO provided STB depending you your MSO's system setup.

I know it won't do HD but I have a large CRT tv in my bedroom that has a regular Explorer box that gets HBO, Encore, or channels above 100 I like to watch, regular co ax cable can't get the movie channels, will these new Cisco small boxes be able to get in those HBO, Encore movie channels and channels above 100 or are they limited to channels under 70 like from some sources I read. If the new Cisco box can't get the movie channels or channels above 100 even in non HD I am not going to switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 69 Old 03-07-2014, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Yes, it can do HD and probably no for those 'movie' channels. It wasn't designed to do any of that, just for the lower level tiers that have now gone encrypted and/or digital, but it will depend on your cable operator and what 'package' you have.
It won't replace a full size STB.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #63 of 69 Old 03-09-2014, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 29
the DTA is capable of doing premium channels but operators choose not to offer anything above basic and perhaps extended basic. reason being they want you to have the regular boxes in your home that they can charge upwards of $10-$15 per month for and get you to spend more money by using PPV and VOD.
post #64 of 69 Old 03-09-2014, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Isn't that great they are just thinking about themselves?? Deregulation at work again, the rich getting richer. Big business doing just what they want and can get away with which is just about everything.

Of course there are individuals here that support all of that even though it hurts them too. rolleyes.gif

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #65 of 69 Old 03-09-2014, 09:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Or... just use an antenna and not fret over the cable stuff. No matter how much you complain "here"... it won't make the cableco's rethink/change their policies on provisioning and fees.
Best suggestion is to contact your Congressman and file a formal complaint.
Quote:
Of course there are individuals here that support all of that even though it hurts them too. rolleyes.gif
I think the majority of folks here and elsewhere don't support the continually rising subscription fees or the "forced" use of additional hardware.
post #66 of 69 Old 03-11-2014, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Isn't that great they are just thinking about themselves?? Deregulation at work again, the rich getting richer. Big business doing just what they want and can get away with which is just about everything.

Businesses are in business to make a profit, not give away everything at cost or to your liking videobruce. A small indpendent cable company or small private cable company say a college system may choose to use DTA to decrypt every level of service and not lay out capital for expensive feature rich boxes that cost $300 a piece. Big companies like Comcast or Time Warner are using these to replace the analog services or clear QAM locals they no longer offer. I'll just state the facts while you do your usual complaining.
post #67 of 69 Old 03-11-2014, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I've got a couple of these DTA's. They get the most popular HD channels in my area, (but not channels like BBC, IFC, Hub, American Hero's, Destination America, etc...). They do fail. I've had to turn one in for another a few days ago. Also I know of two other friends who had theirs die, or received one that was DOA. They do work OK, if you can get them activated... This process takes over an hour in my experience. The replacement I hooked up required 2 phone calls, and the operator had to do something to get it going, and that took 5 minutes on hold.
post #68 of 69 Old 03-11-2014, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Businesses are in business to make a profit, not give away everything at cost or to your liking videobruce.
Never stated or implied anyone should not make a profit so don't claim I did.
Quote:
I'll just state the facts while you do your usual complaining.
I didn't see anyone putting a gun to your head forcing you to read anyones posts. If you are accusing me of not stating facts, then list what is incorrect.

post #69 of 69 Old 03-11-2014, 11:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post

There is a Federal Mandate that requires OTA channels to be UNENCRYPTED,
which can be received as Clear QAM digital channels (no CableCARD required).

Actually, the FCC adopted an order on October 10, 2012, to relax the prohibition against encryption of local channels on cable system.

Summary information: http://www.fcc.gov/guides/cable-system-encryption

The (almost unreadable) announcement: http://www.fcc.gov/document/commission-relaxes-cable-encryption-prohibition

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page