Goldsboro/Pikeville Area, NC OTA Antenna Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-13-2012, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d5ed692527755c1

Trying to find out what antenna you guys would recommend. I was thinking a uhf/vhf antenna would be best. I want to make sure that I can get CBS and ABC.

Also, I was thinking of getting two and pointing one towards 292 and one somewhere between 102 and 129 for the other side.

Antennas would be installed on the second floor attic and run to one tv and maybe another one down the road.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-15-2012, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Since no other member has commented, I will give my opinion, although from quite a distance in West Texas. First, I am envious. You have access to all of the major networks including the more minor Mynet and Ion. They both have great repeats of recent series in HD. You do indeed need a high band VHF/UHF antenna, especially since both of the ABC affiliates are on VHF. I would get something in the midsized range if used in an attic as the structure will block about half of the signal compared to outdoors.
I too would want both the Raleigh and Jacksonville markets. However, simply combining two antennas with a splitter/combiner is never a good idea. It has been known to work, but I have never seen it in my 40+ years of experimentation in 5 different cities. The problem is that antennas are not 100% directional. Although the most signal will come in through the front of the antenna, signal is also recieved on the sides and back. Let's say you have antenna A pointed at city A and antenna B pointed at city B. Some signal from city A will come in the back or side of antenna B and mix with the signal from antenna A. Since antenna B is a few feet further away and the cables are probably of different lengths, the two signals from the same source will arrive at the tuner at different times. In the analog days, that would cause a "ghost". With digital it just causes mixed information that can cause drop-outs or even loss of signal.
The proper way to get signals from two different directions is either to use a rotor or have separate antennas on a switch. Rotors are of course inconvenient, but have their uses. Switches at least are fast and durable. There are special order devices for adding one channel from one alternate direction in with the others, but you have too many channels from both directions for that.
To keep things simple, I would start with one antenna pointed at your slightly weaker JAX stations and try to take advantage of the fact that the Raleigh channels may just come in off of the back of the antenna. Since you will be in the attic, it should be easy to fine-tune the direction of the antenna and try and maximize the signals captured by one antenna. If you find that to be unsatisfactory, you may then consider a rotor or switch and second antenna.
Hopefully, some other members will chime in with more suggestions. Feel free to ask more questions and let us know how it works out. Best of Luck from Texas.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-15-2012, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

would you recommend a cm 4228hd or a regular yagi style.
post #4 of 6 Old 09-16-2012, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The CM 4228 is a UHF only antenna that has been known to pick up stronger VHF signals. I would not take the chance that it would work especially in an attic. You are going to need several VHF elements and reflectors to get those ABC stations. So, yes a yagi style would be in order such as in the links below. You do not necessarily have to buy direct from the manufacturers. One you decide on a model "Google" for a good price and delivery. I personally have had good results over the years with Solid Signal and Summit Source. Antennacraft/Radio Shack antennas work fine but are not considered to be of the build quality of Winegards. However, in an attic protected from the weather you may consider the convenience of buying locally if available.

http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload/HD7697P.pdf
http://antennacraft.com/pdfs/HBU55_.pdf
post #5 of 6 Old 09-16-2012, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
airforce,

If you'd like, join us in the Local HD Reception thread, for Greenville, NC HDTV, or Raleigh HDTV, and there are some folks there who can help you too, one poster who checks in is from Wilson, and uses a Winegard HD 8800 along with a VHF high separate antenna with a channel master pre amp and gets all the channels from both markets, including WNCT, WTVD, WCTI, and WYDO.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-17-2012, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for everyones reply's. I greatly appreciated the help. I will put up a post over in the local section and see what people have to say.

Thanks
Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page