Signal transmission from FiOS set top box - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-16-2012, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We finally got FiOS TV in our area and my box of equipment just showed up at the front door. (It's a self install situation since we already have FiOS phone and internet.) I was hoping that, like some other providers, the set top box for the secondary TVs attached to the whole-house DVR would be small enough to fit behind the wall mounted TV in the bedroom. It is, however, quite large. I can mount it remotely (my closet) and use the cabling I put in the walls during construction to get the signal to the TV location, however, I only have the following to work with: two RG-6, two speaker pair, one Cat 5e. Is there a good solution to pump component video over this combination? I was thinking the two RG-6 fitted with RCA plugs could handle two of the three component channels, but can the Cat 5e be configured in such a way to handle the third? Obviously the audio will run on the speaker pairs, but this third line for video is what's stumping me.
Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-16-2012, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 272
What's "quite large"?
My FiOS STB (QIP7100 2) is 10x12x2

If component video is your only option on the TV, you have audio issues also. Obviously you are not aware that speaker wire should be used line level audio. wink.gif

If your TV has HDMI, you could try one these:
http://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdmi-over-1-cat5-cable.html
post #3 of 7 Old 09-16-2012, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The use of different types of cables or even different lengths of cable for the component video will introduce bad convergence of the colors on the display so should not be considered.
Your best bet is to use the HDMI to rj45 adapters. See http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=hdmi+to+rj45&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=8038804884&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9375857961740581890&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_7jlmwpxf68_b
John
post #4 of 7 Old 09-16-2012, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Ratman, "quite large" is 12.5" x 9" x 2.5". I realize that isn't huge, but it's too large to hide behind the TV. And there is no furniture under the TV to sit the box on. Regarding line levels, I do realize that but wasn't really thinking about it. Obviously, I could switch to using the two RG-6 cables for this audio, but then I'm stuck with an even bigger video problem.

For both Ratman and ctdish, I've looked into doing HDMI/Cat 5 conversion, but it requires two runs of Cat 5 and I only have one.

I'm probably going to try and drill up from the basement inside the wall, which unfortunately is an exterior wall, so I can run whatever cables I need.

Thanks for the suggestions though. I figured it was worth a try.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-16-2012, 02:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdish View Post

The use of different types of cables or even different lengths of cable for the component video will introduce bad convergence of the colors on the display so should not be considered.
Your best bet is to use the HDMI to rj45 adapters. See http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=hdmi+to+rj45&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=8038804884&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9375857961740581890&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_7jlmwpxf68_b
John
Bad link.

Curious about the conversion of "RJ45" to HDMI though. wink.gif
Perhaps you're referring to a device as I suggested in the link above.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-16-2012, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

I just reread Ratman's link. At first I just saw 1 Cat 6 cable was needed. Now I see them mentioning Cat 5e. Hmmmmm. This may be the answer. Thanks.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-16-2012, 02:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blosswj View Post

For both Ratman and ctdish, I've looked into doing HDMI/Cat 5 conversion, but it requires two runs of Cat 5 and I only have one..

The link I provided above is one Cat5e.

"This HDMI Extender extends a 1080p HDMI video & audio signal ~100 feet with just one CAT5/6 cable"
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page