Berllin, CT: Antenna selection for HDTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-25-2012, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am interested in stacking a Winegard YA-1713 on top of either an Antennas Direct DB8,
or a Antennas Direct 91-XG and have them both go into a AntennaCraft 10G221 preamp.

Has anyone in the state tried doing this and which UHF antenna did you choose and why?
The DB8 is multidirectional and the 91-XG is highly directional, I can move both with my
rotator, but would the 91-XG be overkill? I am lookiing to get WTNH hence the YA-1713
VHF antenna, but the UHF antenna I would like to use to get lower MA channels like
WGBY etc. I am attaching my location info. so I could get some advice/help with this
decision. The antenna's are going to be mounted on the back of a separated 2 car
garage in my back yard. I am going to have them mounted @30' above the ground.

Here is my TV Fool information link: (Berlin, CT.)

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3dde6531f1a1086f

My goal is to have a setup that will yeild the most access to the most stations. I picked
the AntennaCraft 10G221 preamp due to its overload resistance which might be an issue
due to some stations that are broadcasting within 7 miles of me. I also am running about
80 feet of RG6 from the antenna's to the house. So I am also using the preamp to overcome
line loss and connector losses.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-26-2012, 04:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 60
The DB8 is highly directional, only slightly less so than is the 91XG despite it being described as "multi-directional" by its manufacturer. Since you have a rotor, either UHF antenna would be fine.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-26-2012, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Both the DB8 and 91XG are excellent long-range UHF antennas, such that you won't go wrong with either. Since you have the possibility of receiving (perhaps better at night) a few long-range VHF-high stations such as WWLP-11, WNET-13 and WPIX-11 with NM's of -7.2 to -8.2, it has been reported that the Antennacraft Y10-7-13 (being 20" longer) has a bit more gain than the Winegard YA-1713 for VHF-high, although both are excellent antennas. Also, most people put their UHF antenna above their VHF antenna on the same mast (instead of the other way around), probably because VHF signals tend to bend with the Earth's curvature a bit better than UHF signals, which tend to be more line-of-sight. Perhaps with those antennas and your amplifier, you could expect reception down to somewhere between 0.0 db NM and -10.0 db NM on your TVFool report, depending on the stations and the time of day (more stations will tend to come in at night).

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=Y10-7-13
post #4 of 4 Old 10-01-2012, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I would start with a CM 4228. It's similar to the DB8 but would likely receive WTHN at your location since it has pretty good VHF performance. A preamp will help the weaker stations but you should get a low to medium gain preamp to prevent it overloading from your stronger channels. If you latter found the need for better VHF performance you could add YA-1713 or similar VHF high antenna
John
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page