Connecting Headphnones to my HDTV (primarily for GC/Wii/WiiU gaming) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-30-2012, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys! I'm looking into attaching headphones to my TV. I have a Samsung LCD from July 2009 (model number LN32B360C5D) and Bose QuietComfort 15 headphones. I really only use my TV for gaming; I don't have cable or a DVD player. I googled around a few months ago and bought an RCA male to 3.5mm stereo female cable (http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Stereo-Female-Y-Cable-6-Inch/dp/B000I23TTE/ref=?ie=UTF8&m=A1H9NMCPZH97BO). I hooked it up and tried it out, and it does indeed produce sound, but only in the right ear, and I'm unable to change the volume level (it's way too high for my tastes). How do I solve this? Right now I'm only playing on my gamecube via composite cables, but I do at at times have access to a wii with component cables, and I plan on buying a WiiU which I believe uses HDMI.

I searched through some of the older threads on this subject, and it seems that audio quality suffers unless you get an enhancer like this. As far as I know, this doesn't solve my problem, but it still seems like a good investment. Is is this still the best bang for your buck?

http://www.amazon.com/Fiio-E3-BK-E3-Headphone-Amp/dp/B001MPWMDA/ref=sr_1_14?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1349024291&sr=1-14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-30-2012, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Your TV set most likely has no headphone jack. Those connectors are line level output jacks and come off prior to the volume control. They are intended to be run into an external amplifier, or, say, a modulator to feed the audio/video to another location. You would need to have an external amplifier with its own volume control in order to use those connections for headphones. If your TV has external speaker connections, you could use those.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-30-2012, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, my TV has no headphone jack, which is why I tried the component out. The closest thing to external speaker connections I can find is a a digital audio out (optical) jack. Would that audio be post volume control?

What's the cheapest modulator/amp with volume control?
post #4 of 8 Old 09-30-2012, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
which is why I tried the component out.

Component is video, not audio. And like the above poster said, if there are analog rca outputs for audio, they most likely are line level.
Quote:
The closest thing to external speaker connections I can find is a a digital audio out (optical) jack. Would that audio be post volume control?

No, any digital outputs are absolutely a fixed level.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-06-2012, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

post #6 of 8 Old 10-06-2012, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Plugging Headphones into the HDTV's "Headphone" mini-jack should have worked.
Perhaps the plug didn't go all the way in...or the Headphone jack is defective....or the
HDTV's mini-jack is defective. Perhaps you can try with a different Headphone.....

==========================================================================
I didn't see a Headphone jack output on the Pyle 30-watt Amp.
[Which would be attached to the "AUDIO OUT" (Red/White) RCA jacks.]
You might find what you need if you search for "Stereo Amplifier".

The fol. Pyle Headphone Amp has a 1/4-in headphone jack:
http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Pro-PHA40-4-Channel-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B003M8NVFS
Other choices can be found if you search for "Headphone Amplifier".
To plug in Headphones with the smaller mini-plug, use your plug adapter.

Your Samsung HDTV has an option to select either INTERNAL or EXTERNAL Speakers (Audio Out).
Selecting the latter should mute the Internal Speakers, but the Audio Out level is always FIXED, so
adjust the Headphone Amp's volume control.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-06-2012, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

You're right -- that Pyle 30-watt amp doesn't have a headphone jack. Using an amp by simply connecting headphones could damage the headphones and the ears.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-21-2012, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Hey guys! So the consensus is that I only need a headphone amplifier then?

The FiiO E3amp I linked to earlier seems alright, but the Pyle 4-channel that holl_ands linked seems nice since it has volume control and has 4 inputs. However, the output is 1/4", and my headphones are 3.5mm.

The problem I found looking at converters is that there aren't any that are 100% reliable.

http://www.amazon.com/inch-Stereo-3-5mm-Female-Adaptor/dp/B000I94FLS/ref=pd_sim_MI_10

This one has 4.5stars, but all the reviews are either 5-stars and say it's great or 1-star and say it doesn't fit or is out of phase.

Do you guys think I should get the Pyle 4-channel + converter, or just the Fiio E3?

http://www.amazon.com/Fiio-E3-BK-E3-Headphone-Amp/dp/B001MPWMDA/ref=sr_1_14?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1349024291&sr=1-14
http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PCA1-30-Watt-Stereo-Amplifier/dp/B0012KZNP4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1349544876&sr=1-1&keywords=audio+amplifier+small
Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page