Internet connection options for Direct TV HD DVR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-02-2012, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi -
I just signed up for Direct TV for the first time. It will also be my first DVR. Apparently there are more things you can get if it is connected to the internet. Does the HD DVR have wifi built in ? If not, I have a wireless router, so could I purchase a wifi dongle or adapter for the DVR ? I will be using my cable company for internet broadband, so I don't think I'd be able to directly plug the DVR into that coax cable system in my house.

Thanks,
Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-02-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The wireless adapter you get will need to have an Ethernet port, NOT USB.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-02-2012, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Tell DirecTV you want access to On-Demand, and they will hook it all up for you. You will most likely get what they call a Wireless Cinema Connection Kit, or W-CCK. This is a DECA adapter that is used to bridge the coaxial cable network all of your DirecTV receivers are on, to the WiFi/Ethernet network that your computers etc. are on to get internet access.

I believe current standards is for them to automatically include this in the initial install, but you might want to verify with them that you are going to get it (assuming your install hasn't already happened). If you have already had the DirecTV equipment installed and they didn't include the W-CCK for some reason you should be able to log into your account, or call them and order one sent to you for self install. It should only run around $32 with shipping I believe.
post #4 of 7 Old 10-04-2012, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everybody. Install will be next week Friday. Do they charge extra for the device ? From what I can tell, they won't charge for installation if put in at time of original install. But from the looks of it, it's simply a matter of connect, go thru some steps in software,and enter in the WEP encryption key - just like adding another computer or laptop in the house.
Bill
post #5 of 7 Old 10-05-2012, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, usually if you have it done during your initial install I believe they do it for free. If you have it done after the fact you usually have to pay for it.

And yes it is usually pretty easy to set up. If you hard wire it, then it's real easy. If you use WiFi and your router has WPS then it's pretty easy too. If your router doesn't have WPS then it's a bit more difficult, but not impossible. If I remember correctly though there can be issues if you password has lower case letters (I think the recievers only let you enter upper case), or something like that. Bu tI believe you can hook it up to a computer and set it up there and then move it to your DVR.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-12-2012, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Install is happening right now. I'll be sure to bring up the Wireless Cinema Connection Kit, or W-CCK. biggrin.gif

Bill
post #7 of 7 Old 10-12-2012, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

He may also end up using a wired one if he is out of the wireless ones. For that he will have to run another coax to whatever room your internet router is in and connect a ethernet cable directly to it. Either way it will work the same, wireless just saves them some work if they have them on hand.

Either way I would make sure he sets it up for you though.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page