UHF or VHF? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-02-2012, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I'm trying to fix my antenna reception so I've been researching. But I'm seeing conflicting info from Antennaweb vs TV fool on if the stations are UHF or VHF, I'm mainly looking for the big 4(nbc,cbs,abc,fox)

I have a few antennas laying around and I wanted to make sure I was adjusting the right stuff!

TV fool
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d2df99388d41296

AntennaWeb
http://www.antennaweb.org/Stations.aspx?City=Waterville&State=OH&ZIP=43566&Housing=S&Accuracy=8&Height=6&Obstructed=True&StationList=&Lat=41.490391&Lon=-83.739239

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-02-2012, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
ABC & CBS are on VHF-HI (11 & 13). Fox, NBC & PBS are on UHF. Both sites look correct to me.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-02-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacroy View Post

I'm mainly looking for the big 4(nbc,cbs,abc,fox)
quote]

Out of Toledo, CBS on WTOL ( RF 11) and ABC on WTVG (RF 13) are VHF. NBC on WNWO (RF 49) and FOX on WUPW (RF 46) are UHF.

From Waterville, you'll need an outdoor VHF/UHF antenna. I'm in Holland and get great reception at 25 feet.
post #4 of 10 Old 10-02-2012, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Oscar,
Any recommendations?
I currently have a Terk Indoor, and a Radio Shack 15-1892 (like this one http://www.missingremote.com/review/radioshack-15-1892-indoor-antenna-w-rf-remote)
Both powered indoor antennas, I've been using the RadioShack up in the attic and on good days I get the big 4, but more often than not I have to fuss with it a bit to pull in the one we want. (which drives my wife crazy)

Thank you much!
post #5 of 10 Old 10-03-2012, 05:17 AM

I haven't played around much with antennas, this is what I have up (with a pre-amp) on a chimney mount, pointed towards Detroit.

http://www.channelmasterstore.com/Digital_HDTV_Outdoor_TV_Antenna_p/cm-4228hd.htm.

Unfortunately, it looks like it's no longer being produced.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-03-2012, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Duece View Post

I haven't played around much with antennas, this is what I have up (with a pre-amp) on a chimney mount, pointed towards Detroit.
http://www.channelmasterstore.com/Digital_HDTV_Outdoor_TV_Antenna_p/cm-4228hd.htm.
Unfortunately, it looks like it's no longer being produced.
They are currently out of stock but are currently working to replace the inventory. You may try another online vendor. Or consider DB8 from Antennas Direct. Also Antennacraft and Winegard make similar versions, but Winegard doesn't use the bowtie configuration.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-03-2012, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Are the low profile outside vhf uhf like the Terk FDTVO any good? http://www.terk.com/outdoor-tv-antennas/?sku=FDTVO

We have a "no antenna" rule in our sub-div and I KNOW it's crap and they can't stop me legally, but I'd prefer to be on good terms and I think that type would slide under the radar pretty easily as long as it gets the job done.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-09-2012, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
With the kinds of signal levels you have at your subdivision, a "no antenna" rule is the same as a "no TV" rule.
Not only is it illegal, it's impossible.
You need a real antenna, outdoors, above the roof level.

The antennas like that one from Terk are pretty useless unless you are at just the right distance from the stations....too close, and you get overload and multipath. Too far, and you have too little signal-to-noise.
I've checked similar ones, and they are nothing more than a two-element antenna, trying to make up for low gain with a preamp.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #9 of 10 Old 10-09-2012, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 89
While the HDTVo may be inadequate at your location, it is nevertheless a decent small antenna design. In fact, the HDTVi, HDTVa, and HDTVo from Terk are among the better low profile/indoor antennas. The UHF arrow is a good design, and they all add VHF dipoles, as well as 2 of the models have an amp if needed. Sometimes the amp works better turned on; other times it is better to be turned off. But it must be plugged in, or the signals are blocked. I have received a full power UHF station at 75 miles with a Terk HDTVa, when the basic rabbit ears and loop would not quite decode it. Another good low profile antenna is the Winegard SS-2000, which is good for UHF but perhaps a bit weak on VHF. You could also look at the Antennas Direct Clearstream 5, which is a good performer on VHF and can also get some UHF. But if a real combo antenna is indeed needed, you may have to consider a Winegard 7696/98, or Antennacraft HBU33/55. And possibly a preamp.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-21-2013, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 346
I've always liked UHF...
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page