Need some expertise on grounding - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-10-2012, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm learning currently about grounding the body (Known as Earthing) for the many supposed health benefits it provides. Though it's as simple as standing barefoot outside, there are many products made for doing so while inside, but they're stinkin' expensive. They require either connecting to a ground rod outside directly or through wires with a megohm resistor that plug into your outlet only at the ground.

Me being the diy'er, i've decided to try it out & save a lot in the process, but the idea of lightening strikes directly or nearby the house really bugs me & I don't know enough about what it would actually do.

I would Ideally like to install a ground rod with a wire through the window. Can it be done safely? What's the Best way to go about the whole project without fear of being shocked?
TeddyP likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-10-2012, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I don't think this is the website you're looking for, if you're really looking for one.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-10-2012, 06:53 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlightned View Post

I'm learning currently about grounding the body (Known as Earthing) for the many supposed health benefits it provides. Though it's as simple as standing barefoot outside, there are many products made for doing so while inside, but they're stinkin' expensive. They require either connecting to a ground rod outside directly or through wires with a megohm resistor that plug into your outlet only at the ground.
Grounding anything through a 1 meg resistor isn't grounding it at all. It's a static drain, that's it.
Quote:

Me being the diy'er, i've decided to try it out & save a lot in the process, but the idea of lightening strikes directly or nearby the house really bugs me & I don't know enough about what it would actually do.
A lightning strike electrifies everything anywhere near it, including ground and air. The only protection from lightning is a Faraday Shield, but even that will be electrified if there's a nearby strike, though anything inside will be fairly safe.
Quote:

I would Ideally like to install a ground rod with a wire through the window. Can it be done safely?
So long as you don't hit your finger with the hammer, it can be done safely.
Quote:

What's the Best way to go about the whole project without fear of being shocked?
Pretty sure you've shocked all of us here!

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume your questions are honest. The idea of grounding for health benefits is complete nonsense. In fact, if you walk about your home with an excellent ground wire on your leg you'll expose yourself to far more potential dangers. Appliances often are not grounded, and their metal chassis have some "leakage" voltage on them. This can be anything from a volt or two to 50 or 60 volts. Touching an appliance like that WILL create a circuit and you Will be part of it. The only time I would expose myself to the heal risk of being well grounded is when working with static sensitive electronics, but then the entire work area is grounded.

The fact that there's product available, and it's expensive, but there's no scientific research to prove the necessity or benefit (I haven't looked, but I'd bet money that's true) indicates that the health benefit of those devices is toward the health of the sellers finances.

If God had intended for us to be grounded, he'd have installed ground cables on us.
post #4 of 9 Old 10-10-2012, 07:15 AM

Just to remain balanced on this, I did a few minutes of research. There have been several papers written on the health benefits of grounding. The large majority of them are written by the same people. In the random sample I looked at on pubmed.com, I found one commonality: lack of a control group in the study, a relatively small sample, and an unmistakable test subject bias.

Most of the studies included highly obvious and invasive grounding methods, such as sticking ground patches on the soles of the feet for 8 weeks during sleep. There was no attempt at a blind control group.

If you also look up the placebo effects on uncontrolled studies, you'll find the results of a study can be highly biased by subject expectation in whatever direction you wish. There should have been 100 or more subjects in two groups, both with identical grounding methods, but with one group actually grounded and one not. This wasn't done, so the papers presented only verify the placebo influence.

Sorry, with my cursory search I didn't find any scientifically conducted studies that support any health benefits of earthing/grounding. There is a lot of anecdote, and exposition, but not one presents any properly obtained statistical data such as you'd have to have for a drug efficacy study.

There remain serious health risks in grounding, however, including shock from ungrounded devices and injury from a fall caused by tripping over your ground wires.

If you want to avoid current flow through your body, you'd want it at the same potential as whatever it surrounds. Grounding won't always do that, in fact in most cases it won't. Any electrical field at any potential other than ground will cause a current flow to a grounded object. A grounded body will, in effect, act as an antenna to pick up surrounding fields and conduct them to ground through the body. Pretty sure that's not the intent! For safety, your body should be "floating" off ground. That way, should you encounter a field or electrified device, your body will assume the same potential as that device or field, and no circuit will be created, no current will flow.

There is far more data on other health-beneift products, collected scientifically and properly. Mangosteen juice comes to mind, there are several scientific studies on that reflecting positive effects. But even then you'll find, amid the hard data, nay-sayers and hype. The key is to read the research (the GOOD research), ignore anecdote, and then decide.
Tschmidt likes this.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-10-2012, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I would Ideally like to install a ground rod with a wire through the window.
And connect it to what inside? And why?

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html
post #6 of 9 Old 10-10-2012, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The operative word in the original post is "supposed." Man has lived just fine for hundreds of years without being grounded.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-10-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 88
Quote:

...the idea of lightening strikes directly or nearby the house really bugs me & I don't know enough about what it would actually do.
Lightning doesn't magically disappear into the ground. The earth is a poor conductor. When lightning strikes, the ground potential (voltage) rises. "Earthing" will expose you to this increased voltage with potentially unfortunate results. Putting a resistance between you and ground will not necessarily help. Lightning is the closest thing on earth to a perfect current source. The voltage will rise to whatever is necessary for the current to flow.

There are many people killed by lightning strikes each year in places like Indonesia and Malaysia because they were sleeping in a hut on a mat on the ground when lightning struck nearby. One of the government recommendations in those areas is to not sleep on the ground.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-10-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egnlsn View Post

The operative word in the original post is "supposed." Man has lived just fine for hundreds of years without being grounded.
Make that "thousands of years". Sandals are insulators.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-11-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by has7738 View Post

Make that "thousands of years". Sandals are insulators.
biggrin.gif Good point...

CIAO!

Ed N.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page