Testing/Shoot-Out/A-B Comparison DVD's or Files --HELP-- - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-11-2012, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Hi, I was wondering what was the best DVD's or Files to take with you in a store to have shoot-out A/B testing between the TV's one would be considering buying ?

I read about all these "slides" and All white screens, all black screens, Black screens with white text scrolling, etc.. that people bring into the stores to test and see how the TV is responding to them. I want to do this to test PQ, and then SEE the difference in blooming and motion blur in different TV's, and then also the contrast ratios between them all. ETC....

Honestly, I really don't want to sit there and trust what the sales guys tell me. I want real deal image and PQ testing for my own eyes to see right there in the store. And ones that you videophiles would know right away which is the best image or movie clip that would reveal these concerns (best PQ, Motion Blur, Blooming, Contrast Ratio, ETC..) of a tv. You know, things that trigger the plausible issues. Like a all white screen for Plasmas so I can hear how loud this "buzzing" really is. Small white text scrolling across a all black screen so I can see the amount of blooming a LCD has. A clip of some very fast moving something that would BEST in showing motion blur.... ETC...

So can someone PLEASE steer me to the best files or DVD's for this ? I of course want FULL HD versions of such.

Also, what is the best way to test for Input Lag there on the spot in the store ? Or is there a way ? I plan on bringing my XBox and favorite game down there with me. So I got the gaming area covered. But I don't want to rely on just my personal "feel" of what the input lag is, cause I may be skewed from being in a store and people around, etc..

(I need these files/DVD's asap as I want to go today or tomorrow to the stores)

Thanks for all help in advance -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-27-2012, 06:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 99
1. This would be assuming the store will let you do this. Most probably won't, especially big box stores.
2. It would also depend if a DVD or BluRay player was hooked into their distribution system.
3. If it is BluRay, there are files in the forum for one to burn a test disc, or use either Avia or Digital Video Essentials discs.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-27-2012, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

1. This would be assuming the store will let you do this. Most probably won't, especially big box stores.
2. It would also depend if a DVD or BluRay player was hooked into their distribution system.
3. If it is BluRay, there are files in the forum for one to burn a test disc, or use either Avia or Digital Video Essentials discs.

Well, I did get it done. And it was a very elaborate and long day. Worked out great !

Magnolia Design Center let me do it. They had all the TV's in a line side by side and some above and below each other, etc.. They were great and helped me a lot ! Excellent guys down there.

Also, the Blu-Ray player we had was a pretty high end one that had multiple HDMI outputs on it. So we decided to use it, instead of their "distribution system" to keep quality up and variables out. It worked out absolutely GREAT !

I did the tests/shootouts using Disney's WOW BD, and Spears and Munsil High Definition Benchmark BD. I then used various clips from The Avengers, Tron and The Dark Knight BD's. After that, I hooked up my XBox 360 via HDMI and tested them all with the games I play.

I scrutinized each TV to the fullest. Tested and looked for everything I could. The guys down there were pretty impressed at me but at the same time getting sick of me by the end of the day.. ha ha.

I was there for me and my mom. She wanted a TV too. And trusted my judgement and testing for her choice as well. She also wanted some Audio gear for her HT System. SO at the end of the day, we spent 10k there. Then they were not so sick of me :-D

My mom got the Panasonic VT50 Plasma (55") and I got the Sony XBR950 (55"). She watches ALL BD movies. So from my testing we all agreed, the Panasonic's colors were more rich, true and honest. For her, this was the best TV. For me, I play video games more than ANYTHING. And the Panasonic just was not representing the games as well as the Sony. The Sony is a lot more crisp and defined than the Panasonic. Way more detail. Plus add that to the plausible Burn In issue a gamer like me could have with the Panasonic Plasma, so I chose the Sony XBR950.

One thing I can say for sure, is they were the best 2 tv's in the store, hands down. To me, they even were a better buy than the Elite ! No joke. The Elite has a very bad viewing angle. and for its price, it was not that much better in PQ compared to the VT50 or XBR950. As a matter of fact, there were several things I liked about the Sony and Panny better !
post #4 of 4 Old 10-28-2012, 04:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Panasonic just was not representing the games as well as the Sony. The Sony is a lot more crisp and defined than the Panasonic.
That's the difference between Plasma and LCD, not Panny vs Sony.

LCD's are great for computer displays or anything with graphics like video games in bright rooms. Terrible for SD programming, especially analog.
Plasma's are great for movies in light controlled rooms, but I wouldn't really use one for a PC.
DLP's are a compromise for all of the above. wink.gif

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page