Guide Plus+, TV Guide On Screen (TVGOS), Rovi Guide To Be No More! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 67 Old 11-07-2012, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 22
What?! I bring up the TVGOS on my Sony recorder and saw this message today: "Beginning on November 1st 2012 and completing in April 2013 Rovi will be discontinuing the broadcast data service for consumer electronic guides in North America. The guides known as Guide Plus+, TV Guide on Screen and the Rovi Guide will no longer have the ability to receive data via the broadcast data service. Please contact your CE Manufacturer for further details."

- Pj
2013 Vizio M-Series M401i-A3 (40-inch) TV. My Firmware: V1.34.44.0080. The M401i-A3 Thread. My Latest Settings (For the A3 Panel).
The Vizio M-Series Razor Thread covers all Models 2013 & 2014. I have a ClearStream-4 connected to DTX9950 to Composite-In of Philips 3576H; local Cable to RF-In. Win7 Pro and FireFox 33 on Desktop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 Old 11-07-2012, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi....Exactly same message here in Michigan. Fingers crossed it that it aint so, or that there may be a work-around. Phil
post #3 of 67 Old 11-08-2012, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 22

Ok, it is BAD news.  

Read more about it with these posts within the TVGOS thread:

Rovi Ending Broadcasting Guides

( http://www.avsforum.com/t/537711/sony-dhg-hdd250-500-official-thread/25300_50#post_22559681 )

- Pj
2013 Vizio M-Series M401i-A3 (40-inch) TV. My Firmware: V1.34.44.0080. The M401i-A3 Thread. My Latest Settings (For the A3 Panel).
The Vizio M-Series Razor Thread covers all Models 2013 & 2014. I have a ClearStream-4 connected to DTX9950 to Composite-In of Philips 3576H; local Cable to RF-In. Win7 Pro and FireFox 33 on Desktop.
post #4 of 67 Old 11-08-2012, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Not cool! I use this on a daily basis in my Pioneer Elite Plasma... Does anyone know if there will be any replacement or is this now just a totally dead/useless feature? I'm not sure, but the TV function might be adversely impacted without it.. I'll be keeping an eye on this issue as I expect no action from Pioneer..mad.gif
post #5 of 67 Old 11-09-2012, 04:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Everything is fine in Canada. wink.gif
No indication that any end date is in site. The CTV affiliate for Toronto, CFTO is supplying data.

BTW, this was announced October 31st, for a November 1st effective start date. They missed Halloween. Maybe this is why;
http://news.investors.com/technology/071812-618533-rovi-stock-falls-on-earnings-warning.htm?p=full

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #6 of 67 Old 11-09-2012, 05:44 AM

It seems to be gone on my DTV PAL here in Indy, I have about 24hours of info now and that's it. I must say that really sucks! I hope some sort of guide is made available in the near future...
post #7 of 67 Old 11-09-2012, 05:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

What/who was your hosts affiliate; CBS or PBS?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #8 of 67 Old 11-09-2012, 07:33 AM

PBS
post #9 of 67 Old 11-09-2012, 08:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Confirms this e-mail from my affiliates engineering dept,;
Quote:
As of 11/1/12, Gemstar will no longer be transmitting TV Guide data from PBS stations. If you receive any calls from viewers indicating that their TV Guide data is missing, please have them call Gemstar/Rovicorp Consumer Electronics Product Support at 800-386-7380. Email can be sent to ce_customer_support@rovicorp.com.

Manager of Engineering Maintenance
WNED-TV
That was not the entire e-mail that was sent to them, it was edited.

post #10 of 67 Old 11-09-2012, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECS01 View Post

Not cool! I use this on a daily basis in my Pioneer Elite Plasma... Does anyone know if there will be any replacement or is this now just a totally dead/useless feature? I'm not sure, but the TV function might be adversely impacted without it.. I'll be keeping an eye on this issue as I expect no action from Pioneer..mad.gif

I have two Kuros with TVGOS and the guide will be dead in the water once your data stops. You will have to reset the TV back to its factory defaults and then do not set up the guide when you restart the tv. This way the guide will be disabled. There is a reset procedure listed in the 8G Kuro thread.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #11 of 67 Old 11-09-2012, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Everything is fine in Canada. wink.gif
No indication that any end date is in site. The CTV affiliate for Toronto, CFTO is supplying data.
BTW, this was announced October 31st, for a November 1st effective start date. They missed Halloween. Maybe this is why;
http://news.investors.com/technology/071812-618533-rovi-stock-falls-on-earnings-warning.htm?p=full

Canada is getting shutdown also since canada is part of North America.

"Beginning on November 1st 2012 and completing in April 2013 Rovi will be discontinuing the broadcast data service for consumer electronic guides in North America. The guides known as Guide Plus+, TV Guide on Screen and the Rovi Guide will no longer have the ability to receive data via the broadcast data service. Please contact your CE Manufacturer for further details."

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #12 of 67 Old 11-09-2012, 12:22 PM

So What should we do? Flood them with emails begging for a free service? Seriosly I would pay a couple bucks a month to have the guide but thats all I need since I get my TV OTA....
post #13 of 67 Old 11-09-2012, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitechluddite View Post

So What should we do? Flood them with emails begging for a free service? Seriosly I would pay a couple bucks a month to have the guide but thats all I need since I get my TV OTA....

The trouble with being paid by end users is that if it's delivered as part of an OTA station's signal, there wouldn't be a way to limit it only to paying subscribers.

Those of us with units that can't get the info over the Internet (and whose code will never be updated: I have a DTVPal DVR, software revision F208) are pretty much out of luck.
post #14 of 67 Old 11-09-2012, 02:48 PM

dattier, That's what I have also. I was thinking about hooking it up to my wiireless router but if they are no longer updating the fimeware it's a waste of time. I wonder how many Sunday papers still have a weekly TV program list....
post #15 of 67 Old 11-09-2012, 06:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Canada is getting shutdown also since canada is part of North America.
Don't be too sure of that. If I remember correctly, I believe the situation is different up north, as this subject up elsewhere a few years ago.

post #16 of 67 Old 11-09-2012, 11:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

dattier, That's what I have also. I was thinking about hooking it up to my wiireless router but if they are no longer updating the fimeware it's a waste of time. I wonder how many Sunday papers still have a weekly TV program list...

If you have one of the Logitech, Sony or Vizio Google TV boxes, you could run the DVR through it and bookmark or set as your home page one of the internet guides with the Chrome browser. 

post #17 of 67 Old 11-10-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I wonder how many Sunday papers still have a weekly TV program list....

Try titantv.com. I'll be using those listings until my TiVo Premiere arrives.
post #18 of 67 Old 11-10-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell View Post

Try titantv.com. I'll be using those listings until my TiVo Premiere arrives.

thank you jtbell for the info on titantv.com. It listed more stations than the Rovi TV Guide did, so I will be using it. smile.gif

I received the same message for my Sony TV. Sony told me that it is a third party service that decided to discontinue OTA service. However if you have a 'newer' TV (mine is only 4 years old) with Rovi firmware version 10.1, you can still receive the TV Guide through the internet if your component has that capability. Unfortunatly I have firmware version 9.01 and it will not work. If you have an internet connection on your component and you still have Rovi TV Guide up you can check the version to see if you are able to receive it through the LAN or USB connection. It has to be ver 10.1 though.
post #19 of 67 Old 11-10-2012, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

My DVRs are seven years old and have TVGOS version 8, unfortunately.
post #20 of 67 Old 11-11-2012, 06:53 PM

You can add me to the list of those disappointed by this decision to no longer support older analog devices. The question is why. I have a feeling it is not a Rovi decision since they would continue to provide the service if they were being paid to supply the service. That is the purpose of their business. My guess instead is that the manufacturers’ of our equipment figured if they no longer paid Rivo to supply the information to their older products that they could win in two ways. First there would be the direct savings of not paying for it and second, they could drive consumers into purchasing new equipment. Well I for one have purchased my last device from Panasonic who makes my DVD recorder and I will certainly add Pioneer to the list based on the above. I would also add Sony to that list but they are already on it. I have not purchased any Sony products since the fiasco of their automatically installing a root kit on PCs to protect their audio CDs.
post #21 of 67 Old 11-12-2012, 06:40 AM

Thanks for the Titan TV guide! It will do the job, I'll just go through it once a week and make sure I don't miss anything.
post #22 of 67 Old 11-12-2012, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwood850 View Post

You can add me to the list of those disappointed by this decision to no longer support older analog devices. The question is why. I have a feeling it is not a Rovi decision since they would continue to provide the service if they were being paid to supply the service.

As I understand it, manufacturers of DVD recorders, DVRs and TVs that use TVGOS paid Rovi (earlier Macrovision) a one-time (maybe per-unit) fee to license the guide, and then built that fee into the retail price of those units. After that, the only income Rovi got from TVGOS was from selling advertising in the guide screens.

After the digital broadcast TV transition, few manufacturers included TVGOS in their devices, which reduced the initial license fees. Relatively few people now use the older TVGOS devices, so Rovi can't charge enough to advertisers to make it worthwhile for them. At least that's my interpretation of the situation.
post #23 of 67 Old 11-13-2012, 03:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
the only income Rovi got from TVGOS was from selling advertising in the guide screens.
+1

post #24 of 67 Old 11-13-2012, 11:20 AM

i going to have to manually program show like the VCR days. I have been streaming more media anyway. The whole industry going "on demand" in the future. Over the internet broadcasting ,I watched the Olympics that way.
post #25 of 67 Old 11-14-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:

YES!

I have two HDTV's, a Sony BRAVIA KDL 46XBR6 and a 32 inch in same model. I redid the setup on the 46 inch, and now it just says "searching, check back later". I did NOT redo the setup on the 32 inch, and it says "No Listings".

So I emailed PBS on Nov 9, 2012, asking what happen to the TV Guide On Screen (TVGOES) listing in Oklahoma City area, and I have NOT received a message back from them. The least they could do, is let me know it has been cancelled!

This really upsets me ... chronically ill, living on low income disability, and cannot afford to subscribe to our local TV Guide. The TV Guide On Screen (TVGOES) is one of features that sold me getting the Sony BRAVIA HDTV, before my savings were gone.

I wonder what Sony is going to do about this, since that is a selling feature on their products?
post #26 of 67 Old 11-14-2012, 08:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

According to my PBS affiliate all PBS affiliates were told to disconnect Rovi's equipment and send it back to them as of Nov. 1st.

post #27 of 67 Old 11-15-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurKat View Post

YES!
I have two HDTV's, a Sony BRAVIA KDL 46XBR6 and a 32 inch in same model. I redid the setup on the 46 inch, and now it just says "searching, check back later". I did NOT redo the setup on the 32 inch, and it says "No Listings".
So I emailed PBS on Nov 9, 2012, asking what happen to the TV Guide On Screen (TVGOES) listing in Oklahoma City area, and I have NOT received a message back from them. The least they could do, is let me know it has been cancelled!
This really upsets me ... chronically ill, living on low income disability, and cannot afford to subscribe to our local TV Guide. The TV Guide On Screen (TVGOES) is one of features that sold me getting the Sony BRAVIA HDTV, before my savings were gone.
I wonder what Sony is going to do about this, since that is a selling feature on their products?

Since the TVGO also set your clock, are you now able to set it manually? That feature was always greyed out and said it would be set by the TVGUIDE. confused.gif
If your TV's had version 10.01 pg TVGO then you would be able to receive the TV GUIDE feature over the internet through your LAN connection.
post #28 of 67 Old 11-15-2012, 12:43 PM

I contacted my local ABC station about this. Here's the answer I got yesterday:
Dear Jerry,

Thank you so much for your email in this regard.

At this point, we are uncertain as to what company will fill this requirement for all stations. We were just recently notified by ROVI that they are discontinuing the service, so we are still in a position of discovery ourselves.

Sincerely,

Patti C. Smith

Patti C. Smith | President and General Manager | KVUE TV and KVUE.com
3201 Steck Ave., Austin, TX. 78757

I'm wondering if folks are having an issue with the new OTA module for the DISH Hopper ?
post #29 of 67 Old 11-16-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMoose View Post

Since the TVGO also set your clock, are you now able to set it manually? That feature was always greyed out and said it would be set by the TVGUIDE. confused.gif
If your TV's had version 10.01 pg TVGO then you would be able to receive the TV GUIDE feature over the internet through your LAN connection.

No, I am unable to set my clock manually, although my Sony BRAVIA KDL 46XBR6 TV has the capability to connects to the Internet, so just need to figure a way to connect my TV to the Internet, without having to pay for Cable or DirectTV,

I email my local OETA on Nov 6, 2012, and it took them ten days to get back to me. Below is their answer I received today:

I have confirmed with Rovi Corp. the purchaser and provider of the TVGO service that they will no longer provide this TVGO service “Over the Air” in any town. The only way the new digital TVGO service will work is with a handful of NEW digital sets manufactured by Sony. The service will be provide over the Internet ONLY. Rovi hopes other brands will add the chip necessary to provide this service but the “Over the Air” service will no longer be provided over any PBS or CBS station.

Mark Norman
Deputy Director
Oklahoma Educational Television Authority
7403 N. Kelley Avenue
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73113-4190
mnorman@oeta.tv
405-841-9246 Office
post #30 of 67 Old 11-17-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurKat View Post

No, I am unable to set my clock manually, although my Sony BRAVIA KDL 46XBR6 TV has the capability to connects to the Internet, so just need to figure a way to connect my TV to the Internet, without having to pay for Cable or DirectTV,
I email my local OETA on Nov 6, 2012, and it took them ten days to get back to me. Below is their answer I received today:
I have confirmed with Rovi Corp. the purchaser and provider of the TVGO service that they will no longer provide this TVGO service “Over the Air” in any town. The only way the new digital TVGO service will work is with a handful of NEW digital sets manufactured by Sony. The service will be provide over the Internet ONLY.

I have a non wi-fi LAN connection for Sony firmware updates which could be used to get the TV Guide if I had ver 10.01 instead of ver 9.0. My TV is about 4 years old.

Rovi recommends using a Cisco-Linksys WET610N Dual-Band Wireless-N Gaming and Video Adapter, but stipulated they do not endorse it. Basically unless there is an update to ver 10.1 you will not be able to get their TV Guide service as long as you have ver 9. If you have internet service with a wi-fi router and a 'newer' TV you should be able to get the TVGuide, regardless if it Cable or DSL.

The update would also have to add a feature to the network setup menu to choose the internet as an option to receive the TV Guide, and I do believe that is a part of ver 10.01. Mine only gives me the option of cable or OTA. The only way I know how to verify the TVGO version, is to go through the TVGuide settings.

This is what I received from Sony Support.

"First off, apologies you received incorrect information from the phone support representative. Your KDL46Z4100 has TVGO Version 9, and therefore is not supported for TVGO rovi Internet programming.

What the agent was referring to, for others that are wondering if they have options, 2009/2010 and newer products that have at least TVGO Version 10.1 will be able to access the internet for the Rovi information if you switch your TV Guide Information from Tuner to Internet in the settings."

Hopefully Sony will come out with a firmware update if possible"
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page