Plano, TX: Suggestion requested for OTA TV antenna - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-15-2012, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

Currently, I am using an indoor OTA TV antenna and I am quite happy with the reception except for the occasional problem with 1 TV station namely ABC. I want to replace this indoor antenna with an antenna that I can place in the attic and I am requesting help to choose an antenna from those who are more knowledgeable and experienced folks. The main reasons that I want to replace my current indoor antenna are:

1) I want to make the OTV TV signal available in all the rooms and I don't want to buy separate antenna for each room
2) Hopefully eliminate the occasional interrupts that I get with the signal from ABC

The TV station locations as mapped by TV Fool for my location is:

TV Fool location map

I am aware that the roof top antenna is the best one for OTA. But for me, at this time, putting the antenna in the attic is more feasible than putting it on the roof. Also, I am quite happy with the indoor antenna that I am currently using and I get more than 20 channels. I do get signal strength of 70 - 80% in the channels that I watch using the following Monoprice indoor HDTV antenna even though there is a big tree directly in the path. Also, during heavy thunderstorm and/or strong winds, my TV reception is quite good. Therefore, I am encouraged to try putting the antenna in the attic. Also, in the attic, the tree would be out of the way. However, there could be other interferences there. The indoor antenna that I am currently using can be found by clicking on the following link.
Monoprice Indoor HDTV antenna

Mine is a single story house with front facing directly east. The living room, where the TV & the antenna is currently located, is at the other end, on the west side and opens to the back patio where the big tree is located. The roof is made up of regular shingles.

The stations that I am mainly interested are:
ABC (8) - I have occasional problems with this TV signal
PBS (13)
CBS (11)
NBC (5)

I did get the following recommendations in the tv fool site.
Antennacraft C290 or C490
Channel Master CM3016, CM3018 or CM3020

But, I would like to consider more opinions & suggestions before I make my decision. I really appreciate your time in provide me help in this regard.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-15-2012, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I am not a big fan of those flat panel antenna's, but if you are getting channels now, chances are if you put your antenna in the attic it might yield better results. And there is good reason why you are having trouble with ABC, because its the only VHF station in your channel lineup. VHF is harder to get with an indoor antenna.
Ideally you would want a conventional VHF/UHF antenna like Radio Shack's HBU-22:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3739595&znt_campaign=Category_CMS&znt_source=CAT&znt_medium=RSCOM&znt_content=CT2032189
Or the ANT751/ Yagi from Walmart;
http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=Rca+Ant751

You would want to point the antenna towards the south where the towers are. You can certainly try your existing antenna first and see what that yields.
Keep in mind also if you want to feed other tv's with a splitter, that will cut your signals down, possibly needing an amp. Putting the antenna outside will lessen the chance of needing an amp since the signals will be stronger
post #3 of 3 Old 11-15-2012, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Mikepier for your quick response. I will take into account your suggestions.
Quote:
And there is good reason why you are having trouble with ABC, because its the only VHF station in your channel lineup. VHF is harder to get with an indoor antenna.

Yes, ABC is the only VHF station and I do get very good signal from ABC more than 90% of the time (I do watch ABC every evening). That is why I am encouraged to try the attic location.
Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page