Fooling my Cable Box into not seeing HDMI? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-17-2012, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My old Xfinity 3410 (I think?) box finally died, and they replaced it with a shiny, new, larger capacity Moto RNG200N box. The box works great - except that now, when the HDMI cable is plugged into the unit, the component side only outputs 720x480. The old box would still put out 1080i out both outputs at the same time. If I unplug the HDMI cable on the new one that leads to my AVR, the component immediately jumps up to 1080i.

Because I'm lazy-ish and don't want to demonstrate my contortionist capabilities every time I want to record something using my Hauppauge 1212 (which doesn't happen all that often), I was wondering about the possibility of employing some sort of HDMI A/B switch box and running HDMI from the DVR into the A side, nothing into the B side, and just setting the swtich box to B when I wanted to record. First, is this enough to kill off some round trip notion such that the DVR will interpret this as the HDMI side being "unplugged" from the box? Second, is there a risk of signal degradation such that normal watching is going to be noisier or more fraught with handshake issues? Third, is there some better solution I'm just not seeing? It's not terribly hard to unplug the thing and plug it back in, and I only want to record something maybe every other week or so, but I just don't like the idea of constantly plugging and unplugging over time - and, like I said, I'm lazy when it comes to things like this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-19-2012, 05:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 272
This may be a solution:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011306&p_id=8153&seq=1&format=2

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011410&p_id=8125&seq=1&format=2
post #3 of 6 Old 11-19-2012, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

The Hauppauge 1212 only takes component inputs, or this would have been a great solution. I'm wondering if the best I can do is to buy an HDMI extension cable so that I can leave it dangling in an accessible place so that it's easy to unplug. I was just hoping there was some easy A/B type splitter that would kill the handshake when I didn't want the cable box to "see" the HDMI cable plugged in.
post #4 of 6 Old 11-19-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Maybe I missed something.... or perhaps you don't understand the suggestion. I'll try to clarify.

HDMI out from your cable box the input of the HDMI spiltter.
One HDMI output from the splitter to the AVR (as usual).
Other HDMI out from the splitter to the input of the "HDMI/Component Converter".
Connect the component cables from the converter to your Hauppauge 1212

No component cables have to be used from the cable box. It will essentially be HDMI only. The splitter and converter do the rest.

It should work.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-19-2012, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Why not get and use a CableCard tuner and avoid all this D-A and A-D conversion?
post #6 of 6 Old 11-24-2012, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

I apologize - at a quick glance, I somehow thought both links were the same thing. Yes, this looks like a good solution. Thanks.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page