Rejoining the dark side... Time Warner with a cable box - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-21-2012, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
So we decided to get a cablebox for sports, and the extra HD channels a big step from our basic 23 channels with Time Warner (i.e. my inlaws are at our house for the holidays and they want TV). I have not had a cable box since my parents got rid of our regency box back in the early 90's. Back then our cable box fed into our VCR, then into the TV, and we could record whatever was turned on the cable box. I'm fairly sure this is not the case anymore wink.gif

Time Warner gave us a Cisco 4742HDC and basically no information about it. Is there a thread around about this unit? Any cool tricks we can do with it? It has USB on the front, coax, USB, firewire, ethernet, IR, Component and HDMI in the back.
  • Can we record to a USB drive?
  • Can we display to 2 sources at the same time?
  • What else should I play with?

Right now our coax cable goes to our TV and we use the TV optical out to our receiver. Everything else goes to our receiver via HDMI, and HDMI out feeds those into the TV. Do I now feed the coax to the cable box, then HDMI to the TV, and the cable box optical out to the receiver? Or leave the TV/Receiver setup as is and use the coax out from the cable box?

Thanks,
Robb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-21-2012, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
What about feeding a Hauppage 1600? I think I have Radeon recorder around somewhere too. Can I use my PC as a DVR from any of these outputs? I think the Hauppage had 2x coax (one for antennae), the yellow VGA, and optical,

I know the straight wall cable to the capture card could tune in under ~100 channels, can I leave it on a certain channel and feed it from the cable box?
post #3 of 3 Old 11-22-2012, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Got Google? http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/video/ps8611/ps8612/ps8620/7018348a.pdf . You could connect your 1600 by composite video to record.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page