Using tv as computer monitor wirelessly? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-22-2012, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I'd like to be able to get some tvs for my dental office.

What I'd like to do, is use them as tvs, and also be able to use them as monitors for my laptop. I'd like to use them wirelessly as monitors, such that my laptop is on the counter and I can show them for example, X-rays and pictures, projecting on the tv monitor mounted to the wall.

Would I need a wifi enabled tv or a wireless hdmi adapter, or both? I would not want to run an hdmi cable from the laptop to the tv.

Thank you!

Also, I'm looking for 32" thin led tvs. Any advice? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-24-2012, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
There is a line on the HDMI connector that can be used for supplying 5 volts to the display. I have seen several computer HDMI cards that do not provide the 5 volts. My Panasonic TV requires that the 5 volts to be present to display the picture and so will not work with them.
John
post #3 of 7 Old 11-24-2012, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdish View Post

There is a line on the HDMI connector that can be used for supplying 5 volts to the display. I have seen several computer HDMI cards that do not provide the 5 volts. My Panasonic TV requires that the 5 volts to be present to display the picture and so will not work with them.
John

I think you posted in the wrong thread...
post #4 of 7 Old 11-24-2012, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 52
A pair of "Wireless HDMI Extenders" (do a search) will connect from HDMI port on PC to HDMI port
on HDTV Monitor:
http://home-audio.toptenreviews.com/home-theater-in-a-box/pros-cons-and-the-state-of-wireless-hdmi-in-2010.html

Alternatively, you could run a long HDMI cable...

Some laptops (e.g. Best Buy) come equipped with a Wireless Display capability, such as Intel WiDi:
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/intel-wireless-display.html
It accomplishes essentially the same task, except the card is INSIDE the Laptop and talks wirelessly
to a matching box than connects to HDMI port on HDTV:
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/intel-wireless-display.html
post #5 of 7 Old 11-25-2012, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the intel Article. Very helpful!!

Would you guys happen to know of any 32 inch tvs that have built in widi? The models that the intel site list, the lg, and the toshiba do not appear to be available in the USA.

My concern in getting an adapter to attach to the tv is that I'm going to mount the tvs to a fullly adjustable slim mount, and I'd have no place to put the adapter, unless I tape it to the back of the tv.

Thanks!
post #6 of 7 Old 11-25-2012, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 52
There may be others, but I've determined that LG makes many full size HDTVs with WiDi built-in,
but you'll have to look at detailed specification for EACH HDTV in which you might be interested.
I couldn't get either their SEARCH box or Find-Your-HDTV feature to search for "WiDi"....
Several of the 3D HDTVs had WiDi. Here are a few of the non-3D sets: 60LS5700, 55LS5700,
47LS5700, 32LS5700.....ditto xxLS4700 series.

Some Samsung Tablets as well as 24-in and 27-in Series 7 HD Monitors have built-in WiDi...but you
should check detailed specifications for whichever HDTV suits your application...DITTO other manu's.

If you have some other Brand name in mind, suggest you search for that Brand plus "WiDi HDTV".

When I was looking at Best Buy for a Laptop, it appeared to me from reading the list of features
that the WiDi card inside the Laptop was REPLACING the usual WiFi card, cuz none of them
listed WiFi as a feature. If you intend to buy a Laptop with WiDi, you should investigate further
to see if the WiDi card does BOTH functions...and if so, whether it can do both at the same time.
A Laptop with WiDi and without WiFi built-in would require adding a Mini-USB WiFi N device,
such as: http://www.airlink101.com/products/awll6075.php
post #7 of 7 Old 11-25-2012, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you holl!
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page