Running a second HDTV from DISH receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-25-2012, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have 2 TV's with Dish Network service. The living room tv is hooked up with a nice receiver/speakers combo with no issue. I just upgraded the very old CRT style TV in the bedroom with a 32inch Samsugn TV (720p). It has a coaxial cable running into the bedroom with the Dish DVR is the living room also controlled the 2nd room via some sort of wireless antenna.

Right now, I have the coax cable running into the new 32 inch TV, but the picture quality is pretty sub-par. I would like to make it look better. I do not have the official HD Package, just the local channels come with HD, but that's okay for me. Is there any sort of cheap receiver I can put in the bedroom so the coax cable runs to it, and then I can use Component or HDMI cable to run to the TV to increase the picture quality?

I can do this by purchasing the Hopper/Joey system from Dish, but I don't want to spend that much money a month just for this.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-25-2012, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Topic title edited to make more specific.

That said, I'm not sure what your setup is. Are you running 2 tvs off of the living room Dish box? Or is there a Dish receiver in both rooms? HDTVs displaying SD programming are almost always going to look quite crappy, especially with DSS service.

The coax you have hooked to the second TV comes from what? The living room receiver? Coax outputs from receivers pretty much are just for sending SD analog signals on channel 3 or 4 to older televisions.

Nothing you do will improve the picture on SD channels. Since you only have broadcast in HD, you have a couple of options. Run component or HDMI from the living room to the second TV or stick an antenna on it and tune the locals that way.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-25-2012, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
2 tvs off the one Dish reciever (located in living room). The coax cable in the bedroom is coming from the satellite feed somehow.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-26-2012, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Still not clear. What does the other end of the coax connect to? The dish? Or the living room Dish receiver? Around here, "satellite feed" is a program that's transmitted via satellite.

So, is it connected to the dish on your house or to the receiver box in the other room?

Judging from your first post, if the coax in the bedroom is connected directly to the set and there's a picture, then the other end isn't going to the dish. If that's the case and you want HDTV on the bedroom television, you're going to have to call Dish and have them run a line from the dish to the bedroom and order an HDTV Dish receiver.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-26-2012, 01:55 PM

Liked: 11
Weird, I just posted about a similar setup before this got bumped back near the top. I think what he's describing is what I have right now. The DISH DVR box will control two TVs. In my house the DVR box sits in the living room and the viewing is controlled via an IR remote. If you want to watch on the bedroom TV you use the second remote which is RF since there's no line of sight from the remote to the box. The box is connected to both TVs via one length of coaxial. He's trying to get HD on both TVs and unfortunately it's not possible without renting a second box-I went through this with them already.
Reply HDTV Technical