HDTV With a Standard DVR? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 11-26-2012, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
I'm very new to the LCD 1080 HDTV world. I recently signed up with Direct TV and got the standard DVR. I had no intention of buying a new TV, till black Friday. So I bought a 40'HDTV. I understand a HD receiver would be awesome, But Im not paying the sat company 199.00 for one..lol. As of right now, I have the coax cable running from DVR to the TV. Is there anything I can do to help the picture quality?

Can I convert the coax to HDMI? Or will that even help? Running a component cables better than Coax?

I tried to talk to the Sat. company, but all they said I can do is buy their HD DVR.

Any tips or tricks? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 11-26-2012, 09:40 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by num223 View Post

Hello,
I tried to talk to the Sat. company, but all they said I can do is buy their HD DVR.
Any tips or tricks? Thanks.

buy their HD DVR

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #3 of 25 Old 11-26-2012, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 99
If their SD STB has component then by all means use it, it will be quite a bit better than coax(channel 3 or 4). I kind of doubt it has component but even composite is better than coax, otherwise the only way to get anything like HD is to get a HD STB/DVR.
post #4 of 25 Old 11-26-2012, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Actually the DVR does have the COMPONENT plugs, and the TV does also. Does the quality of the cables make a difference? I'll go try those component cable.
post #5 of 25 Old 11-26-2012, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

My tv has different setting, "TV, AV, Component, HDMI"

I used the Component setting and hooked it up to the tv and sat box. Its looks black and white and pixaled, real bad?

What if I buy a coax to HDMI converter? Will that help?
post #6 of 25 Old 11-26-2012, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
I used the Component setting and hooked it up to the tv and sat box. Its looks black and white and pixaled, real bad?

Sounds like yuou connected composite out of the sat box to component in on the TV...you have to match the labels as well.
Quote:
What if I buy a coax to HDMI converter?

You may find a tuner with an HDMI output, but what's the point? Converting SD to HDMI or component won't increase the picture quality.
post #7 of 25 Old 11-26-2012, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

I hooked it to AV setting, and it worked fine. Is AV the composite? I sure do wish Id opped for that hd dvr before signing up for 2 yrs....lol
post #8 of 25 Old 11-26-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Is AV the composite?

yes
post #9 of 25 Old 11-26-2012, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Ok thanks. What if I just buy a hd receiver from my friend, that has upgraded to the genie. Could I just use his HD dvr ...do I need a new sat?
post #10 of 25 Old 11-26-2012, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Num223, you say the DirecTV DVR has component ouputs, is that correct or are you confusing component and composite? Does it have HDMI? You might actually have an HD-DVR and just not have HD service right now. What is the model number of the DVR? You should be able to find it on a sticker on the back, or under the little door on the front next to the card and red reset button.

As far as I know the only DirecTV DVRs with component outputs are the HD-DVRs. In some markets you have to have HD equipment in order to get your local channels, you may be lucky enough to live in one of those markets. If you are then you would already have the correct dish and HD-DVR and you would just need to have them turn on HD Access. What market are you in (what city do your local channels broadcast from)?

As far as getting your friends HD-DVR and using it, no that most likely won't work. Almost all DirecTV's equipment is leased, so if he isn't using that receiver anymore it probably needs to be returned to DirecTV unless it is an old model that they no longer want back like the HR20. If it is an HR20 they won't activate it on anyone else's account.
post #11 of 25 Old 11-26-2012, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Even watching SD "component" will give you a slightly better picture than "composite". As has been said composite(yellow) is the same as AV but many newer TVs(Samsung for sure) share one of their component inputs with composite, meaning you can't use both composite and component inputs at the same time.
I also agree, if your STB has component more than likely it's a HD box.
post #12 of 25 Old 11-26-2012, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Another alternative is to get an OTA antenna and watch the local channels in HD for free . Your TV already has a tuner inside, all you need is an antenna. Depending on where you live, you might need just an indoor antenna. If you go to tvfool and punch in your location and post the results here ( your address will not be shown) we can get an idea of reception where you live.

I'm not familiar with DirectTV, but do you actually buy the HDDVR or rent it? Is $199 a one time payment?
post #13 of 25 Old 11-26-2012, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker View Post

Num223, you say the DirecTV DVR has component ouputs, is that correct or are you confusing component and composite? Does it have HDMI? You might actually have an HD-DVR and just not have HD service right now. What is the model number of the DVR? You should be able to find it on a sticker on the back, or under the little door on the front next to the card and red reset button.
As far as I know the only DirecTV DVRs with component outputs are the HD-DVRs. In some markets you have to have HD equipment in order to get your local channels, you may be lucky enough to live in one of those markets. If you are then you would already have the correct dish and HD-DVR and you would just need to have them turn on HD Access. What market are you in (what city do your local channels broadcast from)?
As far as getting your friends HD-DVR and using it, no that most likely won't work. Almost all DirecTV's equipment is leased, so if he isn't using that receiver anymore it probably needs to be returned to DirecTV unless it is an old model that they no longer want back like the HR20. If it is an HR20 they won't activate it on anyone else's account.

in my area, there is one local HD channel.

It is very possible I am mixing the 2. Im new to all of it. Looking at my TV, I have different sources, TV, AV, Component, HDMI 1,2,3, and VGA. My sat box doesnt have HDMI port. The model isR16-300.
And it has coax, s video, and 2 set of rca looking ports and a USB...Thanks for the help guys!
post #14 of 25 Old 11-27-2012, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

OK, the R16 is a standard def DVR, and it doesn't have component outputs. The best output it has is S-video, but it sounds like your TV doesn't have an S-video input (most newer TVs have started dropping it). So they best you are going to be able to do for now is the composite outputs, yellow for video, and red and white for right and left stereo audio, which I'm guessing is what you are using right now.

Since you are a new customer it is very unlikely that DirecTV is going to give you much of a deal on upgrading to an HD-DVR. So the $199 up front lease price is probably the best you are going to do for a while. After about a year there is a chance that they may give you a discount to $99 or free, but it will come with a new 2-year commitment. You could talk to them about getting a HD receiver as they are only $99, but then you will miss out on being able to record stuff.

This is exactly why I recommend all new DirecTV customers get HD equipment from the start, even if you don't plan on getting an HD TV right away. The deals on equipment you get as a new customer are better than pretty much any deal you are ever going to be offered again. Not to mention the HD channels look way better, even on an old SDTV (you can watch the HD channels and either crop or letterbox them).
post #15 of 25 Old 11-27-2012, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

OK, the R16 is a standard def DVR, and it doesn't have component outputs. The best output it has is S-video, but it sounds like your TV doesn't have an S-video input (most newer TVs have started dropping it). So they best you are going to be able to do for now is the composite outputs, yellow for video, and red and white for right and left stereo audio, which I'm guessing is what you are using right now.
Since you are a new customer it is very unlikely that DirecTV is going to give you much of a deal on upgrading to an HD-DVR. So the $199 up front lease price is probably the best you are going to do for a while. After about a year there is a chance that they may give you a discount to $99 or free, but it will come with a new 2-year commitment. You could talk to them about getting a HD receiver as they are only $99, but then you will miss out on being able to record stuff.
This is exactly why I recommend all new DirecTV customers get HD equipment from the start, even if you don't plan on getting an HD TV right away. The deals on equipment you get as a new customer are better than pretty much any deal you are ever going to be offered again. Not to mention the HD channels look way better, even on an old SDTV (you can watch the HD channels and either crop or letterbox them).

Thanks. Actually, Im using coax cable. I had my dvd player hooked up with those RCA, So Im gonna switch that. and buy the correct cable. So how would I hook up my dvd player since im going to use the set of component jacks?

Yeah I noticed that most channel are in letterbox now. Im not a fan of that. I usually use the zoom feature to make not so noticeable.
post #16 of 25 Old 11-27-2012, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm not sure I would do that.

What model TV do you have? If it only has one set of component inputs that also doubles as the composite input, which I've seen some do, then you would be better off leaving your DVD player hooked up over component and using the coax cable to hook up your DVR. In my opinion you aren't going to see as big of an improvement switching your DVR from coax to composite as you will see a degredation in quality from switching your DVD player away from component.

However, if your DVD player has an HDMI ouput I highly recommend swithing it over to one of the TVs HDMI inputs and then using the composite connection between your DVR and TV.

Remember component has 3 cables for video (red, green, blue) and two for audio (red and white).
Composite has one cable for video (yellow) and two for audio (red and white).
post #17 of 25 Old 11-27-2012, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm not sure I would do that.
What model TV do you have? If it only has one set of component inputs that also doubles as the composite input, which I've seen some do, then you would be better off leaving your DVD player hooked up over component and using the coax cable to hook up your DVR. In my opinion you aren't going to see as big of an improvement switching your DVR from coax to composite as you will see a degredation in quality from switching your DVD player away from component.
However, if your DVD player has an HDMI ouput I highly recommend swithing it over to one of the TVs HDMI inputs and then using the composite connection between your DVR and TV.
Remember component has 3 cables for video (red, green, blue) and two for audio (red and white).
Composite has one cable for video (yellow) and two for audio (red and white).

After looking at my TV a little closer, I have a set that is labeled "AV" and a set labeled "Component" If I hook up to the component is looks black and white and snowy. I was confusing the 2. So if component looks so bad, what is it used for. AV looks a tad better than the sat, but not much.

Model # of my TV; ELDFT406

What about a coax to hdmi converter? make much of a difference?
post #18 of 25 Old 11-27-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
I hook up to the component is looks black and white and snowy.

That's because you're not feeding it a component signal.
See post # 8
Quote:
So if component looks so bad, what is it used for

It's used to diaplay component signals, not composite.
Quote:
What about a coax to hdmi converter? make much of a difference?

None whatsoever, see post # 8
post #19 of 25 Old 11-27-2012, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM64 View Post

That's because you're not feeding it a component signal.
See post # 8
It's used to diaplay component signals, not composite.
None whatsoever, see post # 8

oh yeah. i think i will buy a dvd player with hdmi connection and just be happy...for a bit...or till after Christmas. lol.
post #20 of 25 Old 11-27-2012, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by num223 View Post

oh yeah. i think i will buy a dvd player with hdmi connection and just be happy...for a bit...or till after Christmas. lol.

Don't bother, if you are buying a new player, get a Blu-Ray player instead. It will still play DVDs, and also allow you to play Blu-rays, which will look way better than DVDs. You can get Blu Ray players for almost the same price as a DVD player anymore. Walmart/Sams had an LG for $38 on black friday. But I think you can find a Blu-Ray player every day for around $60.

And don't waste your money on an expensive HDMI cable, no matter what a salesman tries to tell you. I personally get mine from Monoprice, but Amazon, and BluJeans cable I believe have reasonably priced ones as well. I would say don't spend more than $10 for a 3-6ft cable.
post #21 of 25 Old 11-27-2012, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Don't bother, if you are buying a new player, get a Blu-Ray player instead. It will still play DVDs, and also allow you to play Blu-rays, which will look way better than DVDs. You can get Blu Ray players for almost the same price as a DVD player anymore. Walmart/Sams had an LG for $38 on black friday. But I think you can find a Blu-Ray player every day for around $60.
And don't waste your money on an expensive HDMI cable, no matter what a salesman tries to tell you. I personally get mine from Monoprice, but Amazon, and BluJeans cable I believe have reasonably priced ones as well. I would say don't spend more than $10 for a 3-6ft cable.

Thanks for your help!!!! You are right, blueray it is. I did go with the other cables instead of coax. I can see a difference and the wife can. So im happy for now.
post #22 of 25 Old 11-27-2012, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks for your help!!!! You are right, blueray it is. I did go with the other cables instead of coax. I can see a difference and the wife can. So im happy for now.
post #23 of 25 Old 11-28-2012, 07:19 AM

how long ago did you get your standard DVR from Directv & have to renew your 2 year contract? I've been talking to them about upgrading to a DVR & I think they mentioned to me that they won't come out and tell you normally, but you should actually have 30 days or more to call them and change your type of equipment if you aren't satisfied with it.... not 100% sure on this and haven't had to test them with this yet, but that what one customer service rep told me last week.
post #24 of 25 Old 11-28-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by melizb18 View Post

how long ago did you get your standard DVR from Directv & have to renew your 2 year contract? I've been talking to them about upgrading to a DVR & I think they mentioned to me that they won't come out and tell you normally, but you should actually have 30 days or more to call them and change your type of equipment if you aren't satisfied with it.... not 100% sure on this and haven't had to test them with this yet, but that what one customer service rep told me last week.

This depends on your states' consumer protection laws. DirecTV's normal policy is as soon as the receiver is activated the 24 month commitment starts. You have no return period at all. However, your states' consumer protection laws will override DirecTV's policy if your state has one. I've heard of some states that allow you to cancel any service within 24 hours of getting it, and others that allow 14 days, etc. You just have to find out what your states laws say.

If your state doesn't have a law forcing them to do so, DirecTV will require you to pay full price for any equipment upgrades/downgrades made after the initial install.
post #25 of 25 Old 11-28-2012, 09:04 AM

I wasn't actually meaning cancelling the directv service, but just exchanging the equipment. thanks for the info though. smile.gif
Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page