ARC Not wokring LG47LM6200 and Onkyo RT-H590 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 12-02-2012, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Folks
Appreciate any help for the problem I am facing with LG 47LM6200 . I use Onkyo HT-R590 7.1 3D Support Onkyo Receiver. Here are the below steps i tried

1) Purchased HDMI cable with 1.4 version support from Amazon and based on the reviews for the cable the ARC function with the cable is flawless. So i believe everything is fine with the HDMI cable.

2) Enabled ARC setting the Onkyo receiver under HDMI setup -> ARC

3) Changed the mode to TV/VCD for see if the audio is flowing thro , no luck frown.gif

4) On TV enabled the ARC support in audio settings

5) Connected the HDMI cable to ARC enabled HDMI port of TV ( Marked ARC next to the port in TV )

Let me know if i am missing anything here..

FYI.. I connected the optical cable from TV to Onkyo receiver and it worked out fine.

Appreciate your help here..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-03-2012, 03:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
What source are you testing with? Cable Box, Dish? DVD player? Generally all of your sources go through the receiver first, then 1 HDMI out to the TV.

ARC is generally used if you are using an OTA antenna, or perhaps a gaming system like the Wii. But even with my setup, I still use an optical cable from the TV to my Onkyo amp. I find with ARC, when I'm trying to adjust volume, i get cut-outs in the audio.
post #3 of 20 Old 12-03-2012, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter

As suggested in other post, i removed all other connections to my onkyo recevier and connected only my LG tv to figure out the connection issue. Typically i am switching to TV/VCD in the onkyo receiver to see whether my LG tv pushes the audio via ARC, but no luck. Am i doing anything wrong?

I even switched off all the units after applying the settings and i even tried resetting the onkyo receiver using the standby button + VCR/DVR combination. No luck at all frown.gif
post #4 of 20 Old 12-03-2012, 06:40 AM

Liked: 13
I have the same problem between my Vizio and my Onkyo tx-nr609. In my case I need the ARC to play audio from the T.V.'s apps like netflix or youtube through my receiver.

I do know that on my Onkyo receiver I need to make sure that--> “HDMI Control (RIHD)” is set to “On”(➔ page 56).

This setting doesn't make ARC work for me but maybe you will have better luck.
post #5 of 20 Old 12-03-2012, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Scipper77... I am try to acomplish the same.. In my case I am trying to get te audio from LG internal apps like Hulu Plus, Netflix and DLNA medias.. As quoted by you, I have already tried the settings in my onkyo receiver.. Just wondering what else I need to do to get both my receiver and TV married smile.gif
post #6 of 20 Old 12-03-2012, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by devarajj View Post

Scipper77... I am try to acomplish the same.. In my case I am trying to get te audio from LG internal apps like Hulu Plus, Netflix and DLNA medias.. As quoted by you, I have already tried the settings in my onkyo receiver.. Just wondering what else I need to do to get both my receiver and TV married smile.gif

Try this as a test if you can. If you have cable, bypass your STB, or if you have an OTA antenna, plug the coax directly in your ANT IN of the LG, and do a scan for digital channels. Now tune to any channel. See if the ARC works.
I'm thinking maybe ARC only works for using the tuner and not the Apps?
post #7 of 20 Old 12-03-2012, 10:00 AM

One thing about my system is that might offer a clue is that the tv connects using my wireless router but my receiver is hard wired to the router. When cec is enabled on both devices the tv should detect the receiver but it doesn't. Is this by chance the same for you.
post #8 of 20 Old 12-03-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepier View Post

Try this as a test if you can. If you have cable, bypass your STB, or if you have an OTA antenna, plug the coax directly in your ANT IN of the LG, and do a scan for digital channels. Now tune to any channel. See if the ARC works.
I'm thinking maybe ARC only works for using the tuner and not the Apps?

In my case I hooked up an old DVD player using composite video (or is it component?) and stereo audio (red and white) connections. It still didn't work for me but in this case I guess it makes sense as the tv would have to convert an analogue signal to digital to send it over HDMI.

I too am suspicious that the apps may be the problem but in my case there are a few items against that idea.

First the netflix app reports some programs as being in "5.1". I can not see any point in the app reporting that there is a 5.1 track available if it was not able to send that signal out to a receiver to play the audio.

Second is what I mentioned in the previous post about my TV not recognizing the existence of the receiver when I do a search for devices under the CEC menu.

PS because I am having the exact same problem as the OP I am trying to participate in his thread in a way that is helpful to the OP. If I cross the line into "thread jacking" I will be more than happy to start my own thread.
post #9 of 20 Old 12-03-2012, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Mikeiper and scipper77..

Btw Scipper77, I beleve your problem falls in line with what i am experiencing here .. so its good that we take it along in the same thread... And not to miss , i really appreciate people paying attention to this thread to help us out... Thanks folks

Couple of insights from my end.. If apps are the trouble makers, it shouldnt push the audio via optical too right? In my case i can get the audio from all the apps via optical cable to receiver where ARC thro HDMI is the only trouble.
Spoke to Onkyo support team this morning and the suggestion from their end is below in quotes

" 1) Turn TV and receiver off 2) Unhook the HDMI cable from both Tv and Receiver 3) Connect the HDMI cable to TV and turn on the TV 4) Power on the Onkyo receiver without plugging the other end of cable 5) Now plug in the HDMI cable to the onkyo receiver 6) Now the Receiver should be able to pickup the signal "

I obviously understood the technician intention behind suggesting these steps as it would solve any Handshake issues between tv and Onkyo.. I am yet to try these steps again in a orderly fashion as suggested. Of course i did these already more than thrice but not sure whether i followed a pattern as suggested by onkyo rep, so i am going to give another try..

Btw.. Spoke to LG techician about this and they arent much help than spitting out the documented manual.. I wish they have much equipped technicians atleast to grab the grounds of the issue.

Appreciate any more thoughts.. Thanks guyz
post #10 of 20 Old 12-03-2012, 11:23 AM

I wonder if I could bring my hdmi cable to an electronics store to verify that it does indeed have a functioning audio return channel. I had to order a 30 foot hdmi so testing a short cable means moving the receiver to a location where the Ethernet wont reach. I gather I need both working network and hdmi for arc to work.
post #11 of 20 Old 12-03-2012, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scipper77 View Post

I wonder if I could bring my hdmi cable to an electronics store to verify that it does indeed have a functioning audio return channel. I had to order a 30 foot hdmi so testing a short cable means moving the receiver to a location where the Ethernet wont reach. I gather I need both working network and hdmi for arc to work.

To my Knowledge, ARC doesnt need to have both the receiver and TV connected to Same WIRED or Wirless network. ARC is independent feature which doesnt rely on networking capabilities.. As long as you have the 1.4 version HDMI cable hooked to both ARC enabled TV and receiver it should work fine. In our case it isnt working which is what i am trying to analyze.
post #12 of 20 Old 12-03-2012, 11:48 AM

In that case I will definately unhook my receiver and move it right next to the tv so I can try a shorter cable that clearly states audio return channel on the packaging. Ill hook up some old speakers to the front and center channels for the test.

I suspect my cable. It was advertized as hdmi 1.4 but didn't specifically mention arc in the online description. I thought that arc was standard for hdmi 1.4 but we will see.
post #13 of 20 Old 12-04-2012, 01:08 PM

I have nearly solved my issue so I hope this helps me to solve your issue.

Today I did exactly as I said in the previous post. (moved receiver next to TV so I could try a shorter cable). When I connected the Onkyo using a name brand 3' hdmi cable that was still in packaging advertizing ARC, Ethernet, 4K and every other bell and whistle an HDMI can have the setup worked flawlessly.

The new cable allowed the tv to instantly recognize the receiver and the return audio worked with zero issues.

Now in my case I think the problem is that I got a cable that did not specifically advertize ARC, I just assumed that ARC and CEC were present for all HDMI 1.4 compatible cables.

My only concern is that the length of the cable is the problem. I have a 30' cable

To the OP, devarajj, How long is your cable??

Also exactly which cable did you order from Amazon (I don't want to order the same one). If it's against forum rules to link to sales from other sites then PM me.

mine is from Buy.com, 30' M/M hdmi from eForcity. http://www.buy.com/pr/product.aspx?sku=226216861

Moderators, I apologize in advance if this violates any policies about posting prices.
post #14 of 20 Old 12-04-2012, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:

\I just assumed that ARC and CEC were present for all HDMI 1.4 compatible cables.
My only concern is that the length of the cable is the problem. I have a 30' cable.
ARC and CEC are supported on all HDMI "high speed" cables. (a 1.4 labled cable is meaningless) Length and quality is probably your issue (with the HDMI cable wink.gif )
post #15 of 20 Old 12-04-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

ARC and CEC are supported on all HDMI "high speed" cables. (a 1.4 labled cable is meaningless) Length and quality is probably your issue (with the HDMI cable wink.gif )

I agree that CEC is on all hdmi but ARC was introduced with the hdmi 1.4 standard. It gets a little confusing for me as some features in hdmi 1.4 standard are optional. I'm not sure if its optional for the cables to support or just for the hardware to support.

In any event can anyone help tho op with his problem? I think I've got my problem under control.
post #16 of 20 Old 12-04-2012, 03:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 289
HDMI 1.4 is hardware (at both ends).
HDMI cables are 4 flavors (there is no "spec")
1) standard speed
2) standard w/ethernet
3) high-speed
4) high-speed w/.ethernet.

For you and the OP... distance (over 25') can typically be an issue. Compatibility between devices is also a commom complaint.

http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/faq.aspx#44
post #17 of 20 Old 12-04-2012, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I have nearly solved my issue so I hope this helps me to solve your issue.
Today I did exactly as I said in the previous post. (moved receiver next to TV so I could try a shorter cable). When I connected the Onkyo using a name brand 3' hdmi cable that was still in packaging advertizing ARC, Ethernet, 4K and every other bell and whistle an HDMI can have the setup worked flawlessly.
The new cable allowed the tv to instantly recognize the receiver and the return audio worked with zero issues.
Now in my case I think the problem is that I got a cable that did not specifically advertize ARC, I just assumed that ARC and CEC were present for all HDMI 1.4 compatible cables.
My only concern is that the length of the cable is the problem. I have a 30' cable
To the OP, devarajj, How long is your cable??
Also exactly which cable did you order from Amazon (I don't want to order the same one). If it's against forum rules to link to sales from other sites then PM me.
mine is from Buy.com, 30' M/M hdmi from eForcity. http://www.buy.com/pr/product.aspx?sku=226216861
Moderators, I apologize in advance if this violates any policies about posting prices.

Scipper.. I am glad that you are getting your problem under control, but for me i have no luck yet...
The HDMI cable which i use has clearly mentioned ARC and Ethernet supported on it, so not sure whether the cables are faulty.. The reason why i inclined to believe the cables arent faulty is the fact i got two of them and based on the reviews in amazon, i dont suspect two of them going wrong at the same time, unless i have a terrible bad luck.. Below is the one which i purchased from amazon which is ten feet, so if you guyz have one of these with ARC working then i probably have to assume my TV model LG47LM6200 doesnt pair with Onkyo HT-R590 receiver

http://www.amazon.com/Cheetah-Mounts-compatible-Ethernet-Version/dp/B005GGTTZ0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354676021&sr=8-1&keywords=HDMI+1.4
Cheetah Mounts High Speed 3D compatible HDMI Cable with Ethernet and Audio Return (Newest HDMI Version) (10 feet) by Cheetah
post #18 of 20 Old 12-05-2012, 08:42 AM

On my display I also have to set it to output as Dolby digital for the ARC to work.

For me I need CEC on for tv,
Output as Dolby digital on tv,
cec on for onkyo receiver.

At that point I have to tell the tv to detect devices under the cec menu, where it finds the receiver. Tell it to connect and everything works.
post #19 of 20 Old 12-05-2012, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

scipper77 what make and model tv do you have ?
post #20 of 20 Old 12-05-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarajj View Post

scipper77 what make and model tv do you have ?

Mine is Vizio M650VSE. I know its a different animal but i thought there may be the same requirement from the receivers end that the signal be encoded as dolby digital.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page