Need help installing antenna tripod on roof. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-03-2012, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm hiring a handyman to do the work, but I need to have all the stuff in hand when he arrives. If I get a 3' tripod from Amazon, do I need something else for the mast to rest on, or does the mast itself not touch the roof?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-03-2012, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
A few questions: what kind of antenna are you installing? Can you mount differently like on a chimney or on the side of the house?

I'm not a big fan of tripods because they have the potential to damage the roof or cause leaks. I prefer to mount mine on my chimney with chimney straps with a small 5 foot mast , I don't have a huge antenna.

What is reception like in your area? If you can post your tvfool results we can get an idea of how big of an antenna you need.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-03-2012, 07:43 AM

Liked: 13
I agree with the previous. I wouldn't use a tripod on the roof. Either attach mast to chimney with straps or use tripod on the ground with several mast to acheive desired hieght. You can secure the masts to the side of the roof over hang.

post #4 of 10 Old 12-04-2012, 04:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 143
1. Chimney mounts suffer from contaminants from the vapors coming up the chimney.
2.You also have to be concerned about how solid the mortar between the bricks is.
3.I have had tripod mounts for years and only once had a leak. That was mostly due to a 40 year old roof, not the mount.
4. I would not use a three foot tripod. Get a five footer. A five footer extends less than three feet above the peak as it is (depending on roof pitch).

Sufficient use of roof tar solves any concern with leaks. A yearly inspection doesn't hurt either. wink.gif

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-04-2012, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I'm mounting a Winegard HD8800 with a rotor and preamp. There is no chimney to attach an antenna to. I don't need antenna advice - I'm a bit of a guru. What I need is carpentry advice, as I'm not a handy person. I have a handyman who is a roofer, and he knows what he's doing with sealing a roof, but not so much about installing an antenna. Thus, I need to have all the parts in place so he can do the grunt work without having to do the design work. I'll be saving more than 50% off what an antenna installer charges - one quoted me $950 for the job (including antenna, rotor and amplifier.)

No one has answered my question about the mast itself. Does it rest on the roof, and if so, what do I need to put under it?

Thanks for the advice on a 5', videobruce.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-04-2012, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The tripods that I have seen have a sort of hook that the bottom of the mast sets on. It keeps the mast several inches off the roof.
I usually guy any antenna that is mounted on a tripod. I have tried using lag bolts through the roof plywood and after a while they pull out and the antenna falls over.
If the lag screws could catch the 2 by 4's, it might work, but the legs don't seem to be the correct for the spacing for that.
John
post #7 of 10 Old 12-04-2012, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 244
I've never been a fan of chimney mounts and tripods. Lots of issues, especially with strong winds. My antenna is on the apex of our roof, on a 15' mast held in place with 3 sets of guys wires, and has been in place for almost 30 years. The guy wires are held in place with bolts attached thru the roof (metal) to the support studs underneath. The antenna is huge too with a rotor. Never a problem.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-04-2012, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Get a five footer.
+1
The tripod needs to mount to the rafters and a three footer won't reach. Fastening to the sheathing is asking for trouble unless you reinforce it appropriately and use the right kind of fasteners.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-05-2012, 04:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
No one has answered my question about the mast itself. Does it rest on the roof, and if so, what do I need to put under it?
The problem with letting it sit of the roof itself, it will eventually 'eat' it's way through the shingles. You can place a piece of metal there to prevent this, securing and 'taring' it to the shingle or as ctdish stated use the 'hook' below the spreaders to 'hang' the mast.
Quote:
I have tried using lag bolts through the roof plywood and after a while they pull out and the antenna falls over.
If the lag screws could catch the 2 by 4's, it might work, but the legs don't seem to be the correct for the spacing for that.
If you are lucky you may 'catch' one rafter, but the solution is;
Place your tripod run one lag bolt in for each leg.
Go into the attic and 'hunt' for those bolts, mark the spots between the rafters and cut lengths of 2 x 4's to wedge between those rafters.
Pre-drill holes for two bolts per leg (I don't see reason for all three if you do it this way).
Using a longer lag bolt through those holes will secure that tripod with little or no fear of the feet pulling out. It's more of a chance those rivets for the right angle brackets will let go than those lags pulling out unless you are in tornado alley. wink.gif
Quote:
My antenna is on the apex of our roof, on a 15' mast held in place with 3 sets of guys wires, and has been in place for almost 30 years. The guy wires are held in place with bolts attached thru the roof (metal) to the support studs underneath.
^ +1
My tripod has been there for probably 35 years with guy lines. I did replace the anchors recently due to age and initial poor placement.
The other "maintenance item I do is coat all metal parts with clear acrylic spray to prolong them from rusting. I usually do it once a year. wink.gif

Take a look here. This example is a typical untreated tripod after 15 or so years;
http://www.avsforum.com/t/859398/for-anyone-wondering-about-a-15-or-20-year-old-antenna-installation-if-it-is-still-good

Though not completely related, look here also;
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1443265/roof-peak-access-for-antennas-with-a-2-1-2-story-house-the-easy-way

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-05-2012, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 244
[quote name="sregener" url="/t/1443022/need-help-installing-antenna-tripod-on-roof/0_20#post_22662274"
Thanks for the advice on a 5', videobruce.[/quote]

My antenna mast (all 15') slides into a support brace that is then bolted thru the metal roof to the support beam underneath. The mast itself is then held in place with 3 sets of guy wires tied thru heavy duty eye hooks which are then screwed thru the metal roof to the support beams underneath.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page